Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
xHydrox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default New to Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hello guys I am new to these forums and had a few questions before I purchase this model. Can the Blackberry 9700 have any ringtone for the Rogers model? I ask this because I have had purchased a few phones before and Rogers had put a lock on it where you would have to buy it directly from there site. Also does this phone require a data plan? Hope I can get a quick response because I'm about to head out and get one of these after my questions are answered
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I don't know what you mean about the ringtones. You can make your own ringtones if you want, and there are probably free ringtones at mobile.blackberry.com, as well as free and for-purchase ringtones from numerous sources.

In the plan, you will need a blackberry data plan to use the blackberry data services, such as BBM. You many or may not have a choice, as many carriers are now forcing a data plan on smartphone users. I don't know Roger's policy.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
xHydrox

Is the data plan required to use for the blackberry? All the data plan really does is so you can bbm, internet, e-mail is that correct? What if I won't be using those. Will the blackberry device still work? My current plan right now is 200min and unlimited text. That is all I really need. So is it possible to use with that plan?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Without any data plan, you have a cell phone with basic pda functions.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-06-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
xHydrox

I know that it will be a basic pda phone but you can still use it with a data plan am I correct? I am not wanting to do these things in the link you posted above but alter on I may add it. So could you use this phone without a data plan
Old 09-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Carrier: DU
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHydrox View Post
I know that it will be a basic pda phone but you can still use it with a data plan am I correct? I am not wanting to do these things in the link you posted above but alter on I may add it. So could you use this phone without a data plan
Yes you can use it without a data plan. You will be stripping the BlackBerry BOLD from many of its amazing features such as the BlackBerry Messenger, GPS Navigation system, internet browsing.

But as you said, if you don't use those its fine you can still use it without a data plan...

My only questions is.......why get a BlackBerry in the first place if you aren ot going to utilize any of the above features? big waste...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
xHydrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Yes you can use it without a data plan. You will be stripping the BlackBerry BOLD from many of its amazing features such as the BlackBerry Messenger, GPS Navigation system, internet browsing.

But as you said, if you don't use those its fine you can still use it without a data plan...

My only questions is.......why get a BlackBerry in the first place if you aren ot going to utilize any of the above features? big waste...
Well the reason is I have been wanting this phone for a very long time. I just love how you can text msg on this phone and all of its other great features. I will get a data plan but not right now since I am a college student working part time (2 days only) and playing my cellphone bill as well as my brothers. Its just simply the bill will but too high for me to afford. Once I get a stable job I will definitely get it. But for now I cant. Hope it answer your question. So you can use this phone without a data plan right?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Well the reason is I have been wanting this phone for a very long time. I just love how you can text msg on this phone and all of its other great features. I will get a data plan but not right now since I am a college student working part time (2 days only) and playing my cellphone bill as well as my brothers. Its just simply the bill will but too high for me to afford. Once I get a stable job I will definitely get it. But for now I cant. Hope it answer your question. So you can use this phone without a data plan right?
Yes you can definately

Good choise you made. BlackBerry's are REAL phones!

Unlike those iPhone which are toys for kids who want to listen to MP3s....hehe....

if u want an MP3, get an MP3 player! they're so cheap :D

PS: mind you, the BOLD 9700 can take upto 32 GB of memory after upgrading the operating system.

If you need help upgrading the operating system lemmek now it's so easy and takes about 20 mins
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
xHydrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Yes you can definately

Good choise you made. BlackBerry's are REAL phones!

Unlike those iPhone which are toys for kids who want to listen to MP3s....hehe....

if u want an MP3, get an MP3 player! they're so cheap :D

PS: mind you, the BOLD 9700 can take upto 32 GB of memory after upgrading the operating system.

If you need help upgrading the operating system lemmek now it's so easy and takes about 20 mins
Alright Thanks for your help. I am heading out right now to go and purchase a Blackberry 9700. I hope to get a data plan in the near future
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Check with your carrier. Some are requiring a proper BB data plan as part of the purchase. Others scan the devices on their network periodically and if it requires a data plan, it is added.

And if you are new to the BB and don't need all of the features as you note, I do not recommend an OS upgrade. Get to know the device first and see what it can and cannot do.

You might find that it isn't broken and doesn't need an OS upgrade to fix it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
xHydrox

I just called my service provider which is Rogers and just wanted to confirm I could use it. They said that the Blackberry 9700 requires a data plan in order for it to work. She said without the data plan I can not text or make phones or do any basic things I wanted. Is this true?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Lightbulb

Quote:
I just called my service provider which is Rogers and just wanted to confirm I could use it. They said that the Blackberry 9700 requires a data plan in order for it to work. She said without the data plan I can not text or make phones or do any basic things I wanted. Is this true?
This makes no sense at all! You can do anything. I have it here and I tested it, I put a sim card that has no data plan and it works perfectly.

Maybe the ones you get through Rogers are LOCKED which is why she is claiming that......but we can always help you unlock it dude.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
xHydrox

Well I am looking on craigslist and going to buy one from there. It is a T-Mobile one which I would have to get unlock and then I would be able to use on with my provider.

Yes I think you are right. I think she was referring to the Rogers 9700 which might have some sort of lock on it which mean you would have to get a data plan.

So once I have the phone unlocked It will work perfectly fine right and I can make calls and text on it like a regular phone? Also when I have the WIFI mode on could I browse the internet and check my e-mail? Matrix Leader could you give me a link so I can read about the OS upgrade you said earlier so I can figure out what exactly it is. I am not familiar XD
Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

XHydrox, read what we've been telling you staring with the first response from me. You technically can use the blackberry as a phone with no data plan. But some carriers force a data plan on smartphone users. It has nothing to do with a lock on the blackberry. It is a matter of the company's policy. They know what the device is when it connects to the network.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-06-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
xHydrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
XHydrox, read what we've been telling you staring with the first response from me. You technically can use the blackberry as a phone with no data plan. But some carriers force a data plan on smartphone users. It has nothing to do with a lock on the blackberry. It is a matter of the company's policy. Their computer knows what the device is when it connects to the network.
So even if I have my phone unlocked they will know I have a blackberry and try and enforce a data plan?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If Roger's told you a data plan is required, how many different ways must it be stated? Yes, the network knows, and sounds like Rogers will add the plan to your account. It may not happen immediately, but eventually.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

A T-mobile 9700 will not be able to use 3G on Rogers.
Different frequencies.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 09-06-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Well the above said, it may be a lock on your sim card and not on the phone :(

Anwyay, the OS I was mentioning can enable you to browse the net while connected to Wireless at no charge.

BEST OS in my experience, I tried them all and tested them. This give you the best round up of signal quality, speed, WiFi connectivity, fast picture browsing in the Media viewer, etc.

This OS has been released by ETISALAT (Dubai carrier) before , I just found the DU variant (another Dubai carrier) which is just as good and I thought of posting it as well:

Software Name: BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1149 (Multilanguage)
File Name: 9700M_PBr5.0.0_rel1149_PL5.1.0.160_A5.0.0.680_du.e xe
Download Size: 133.034 MB
Language: English
Published Date: 06/23/2010

DOWNLOAD

Instructions For Installation:

1) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

2) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

3) Delete the file named vendor.xml

4) Connect your BlackBerry 9700 through the USB port

5) Run loader.exe

6) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
xHydrox

Looks like I will have to purchase a 500mb data plan
Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You should also look at Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ. Applies generally to buying a second hand blackberry, and not just to buying off ebay.