BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
kyle16
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default WHY am i not able to disable my firewall???

Please Login to Remove!

WHY am i not able to disable my firewall??? i have a 7290. running 4.0.2.49 (Cingular). when i go into the firewall options there is only Reset Settings, Save, Close to choose from.......i can't change the blasted thing! please help me out if you can. i am just wanting to get a few of the fav progs going and i am fairly certain this is what is blocking me from doing so.......namely BBWeather is what won't work because of this issue. thanks!

Kyle
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

If you believe the firewall is blocking you app then just reset it and your app should request access to the net.

I was told by RIM that everyone is forced to have the firewall enabled because if one BB gets comprimised then the entire BB network could potentially be comprimised. I don't know how true this is but mines is forced enabled.

You have Cingular, there are several treads explaining the difficulties with Cingular and third party apps. You can begin with the FAQ on connecting BB's to the internet and go from there.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Soapm

start here http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185 look for cingular.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
kyle16

man i appreciate your help, but i am not clueless. i have spent over 3 hours already today and about 8 hours this week searching this topic alone. my 'net is configured properly. i either get the infamous IPPP message or the attempt at a connection inside and outside the firewall message - depending upon whether disable MDS proxy is checked or unchecked. this is a well traveled topic, but very little definitive or remotely useful advice has been offered up on it.......

just wish someone had something worthwhile to serve up to someone who has done their homework and searched the forum, other forums, the web, etc.......
Old 10-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wow Kyle, you seem to have all the answers.
Sorry you can''t find anything worthwhile here.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
kyle16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Wow Kyle, you seem to have all the answers.
Sorry you can''t find anything worthwhile here.
man, please, you know what i mean - ABOUT THIS ONE TOPIC. not everything, sheeeesh. Soapm and yourself are both awesome - and i have learned tons from the both of you (among others). not knocking your efforts or anyone else's. just saying that this one topic is not very well defined at this point. nobody seems to be getting any clear resolution on it. just stating what i have taken away after hours and hours of research on one topic this week alone.

not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just trying to resolve this matter.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I firmly believe this is a Cingular issue. We have BBs from all carriers and none of them, except the Cingular one's - have these issues.. T-Mobile (with and without BES) no problem. Cingular - a nightmare.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
jontalotta
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Are you on Enterprise/BES? My firm's IT dept. force enable firewall. They even force disable Bluetooth, so my purchase of 7100g was a waste of time in that regard.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
kyle16

not on BES.....but i am guessing my BB was previously on BES (w/ former owner).

thanks NJBlackBerry, seriously man i appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

We are on BES. T-Mobile devices work fine. Cingular's do not....
Old 10-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle16
man i either get the infamous IPPP message.......
This generally mean Cingular needs to add TCP/IP ability to your list of services. It also generally means you probably have the app set right and your connection is at fault.

Quote:
or the attempt at a connection inside and outside the firewall message - depending upon whether disable MDS proxy is checked or unchecked........
This generally means the app is set wrong, change it back to the setting where you do not get the firewall error.

I am not a Cingular customer but my understanding is the normal Cingular BB data plan expects you to have BES which would give you TCP/IP ability via the MDS on the BES. When you have Cingular and no BES you need to get them to enable TCP/IP or your third party apps won't work. The mystery, trick and numerous treads are pondering what exactly needs to be done by Cingular and what do you say to them to get it done correctly.

Nick seems to have come the closest with explination but I don't recall a 100%, bullet proof answer to this delimma but many have followed the FAQ with success. If the FAQ didn't do it for you do a search for Cingular treads started by nick* If I find it I will post back. The title is something like I hit pay dirt with cingular (that part has sarcasm but you will see what I mean).
Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
Soapm

Quote:
not on BES.....but i am guessing my BB was previously on BES (w/ former owner).

thanks NJBlackBerry, seriously man i appreciate it.
If this is the case, look for a tread on seeing if you have and removing the itpolicy after leaving company.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #13
lostinspace
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Firewall is always in enabled mode with no option to disable, doesn't matter if it's BIS or BES

Firewall has nothing to do with your blackberry weather program not working.

The firewall is specifically for any corporation with custom applications that have been designed by that corporation to work on company blackberry's via MDS.

Here, since you're looking for the answers on a forum, why not just use the public knowledge base from RIM?

==
How To - Reset the firewall prompt on the BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
Last Updated: 02 June 2005
Article Number: KB-04050

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
This article applies to BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds™ based on Java™.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description
When an application makes a network connection from the handheld, the BlackBerry® firewall prompts you to allow or deny the network connection. You can also choose not to be prompted with this message. If you previously chose to not be prompted but would like to enable the prompt again, you must reset the BlackBerry firewall.

To reset the BlackBerry Firewall,

On the handheld Home screen, click Options (or click Settings > Options for some of the BlackBerry 7100 series).
Select Firewall.
Click the trackwheel and select Reset Settings from the menu.
Do a hard reset. For help resetting your handheld, see Knowledge Base Article KB-02141.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
kyle16

there are quite a few threads in this forum of people disabling their firewall (one example from Dawg - http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...rewall+disable ). so yeah in certain instances it can and has been done - whether its with different models/OS's/etc.....

yeah like i said i did my homework lostinspace. i didn't have to visit any forums to figure out how to do the "reset settings" on the firewall options - pretty self explanatory and pretty useless in the end. thanks for your time, but i am back where i started.

mods - either end this thread or everyone just stop contributing. only getting smart a** answers from everyone and wasting both our times.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Not sure I saw smart a$$ answers here kyle. Maybe you need to let it go since you are the one wasting posts.
Closed Thread