Old 06-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Cingular BIS 2.0 and Yahoo! Mail

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I have a question about the new BIS 2.0 before I upgrade. On the "upgrade now?" page, it lists a feature of BIS 2.0 as tighter integration with "most webmail services." Which services does this include? I've heard Yahoo, but any of the others?

Also, what exactly does tighter integration mean? If I set it up with my Yahoo! Plus account, will incoming messages appear on both the handset and Yahoo! webmail site? If I delete from the handset, will it be deleted from the Yahoo! website? If I delete from the Yahoo! site, will it be deleted from the handset? If so, that's the kind of reconciliation I've been waiting for!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

More specifically, is it as compatible with Gmail as it is with Yahoo! ?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bidness
More specifically, is it as compatible with Gmail as it is with Yahoo! ?
I dont understand, I have always used GMail (since I had it) with my BB and experienced no problems. Have you?

The Gecko
Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

any Yahoo! acount you set up on BIS 2.0 will mark emails read/unread; put emails you sent from your handheld in Yahpp's sent items (if you have this enabled) and deleted items in Yahoos trash can

keep in mind this is one way only - changes made on your Yahoo! account do not reflect onyour handheld (i.e. you delete from Yahoo! it will still be on your BlackBerry)

Gmail will not
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

From experience here is what is happening on 2.0. You can reply to any email account that you have configured with the correct "from" and "reply to" address, but you can't change those to another address for your reply email. For new emails, you can select any account you have configured, plus your [email address] address. If you select the latter, your settings on the BIS control your "from" and "reply to" address.

For Yahoo or an IMAP account, copies of emails from the BB are stored in the sent folder. Deleted emails are moved to the trash folder. Items sent from your email account and deleted from there do not appear or get deleted on the BB. Read and unread marks are reconciled from the BB to the email account but not the other way around. Thus, it’s a one way sync unlike BES which is a two way sync. No other subfolder moves are supported. Thus if you use typically file messages on the BB and then choose to hide filed messages, you are out of luck
Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks so much for your help.

...I am having another problem though. I'm trying to setup my Yahoo! account to work with BIS 2.0. After I type in my e-mail [email address] and password, I get a dialog box saying "An error occurred...
Please check your information and try again.
If the problem persists, contact e-mail administrator."

I'm definitely typing in the right password! Any idea why this is happening?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help.

...I am having another problem though. I'm trying to setup my Yahoo! account to work with BIS 2.0. After I type in my e-mail [email address] and password, I get a dialog box saying "An error occurred...
Please check your information and try again.
If the problem persists, contact e-mail administrator."

I'm definitely typing in the right password! Any idea why this is happening?
I am getting the same problem. Cingular and yahoo are not talking properly yet...has anybody set-up their free yahoo account with cingular yet?

Last edited by deezmfnutz; 06-12-2006 at 10:06 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Actually, I have a Yahoo! plus account, if that makes a difference.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
rbdavis

Model: 8800

I have a Yahoo! Mail Plus account as well. I entered my Yahoo! email address and clicked on next without entering a password and I was able to setup my account successfully from there by entering the additional POP3 information.

I am somewhat confused myself because I thought with BIS 2.0 all Yahoo! email accounts were suppose to compatible by default.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdavis
I have a Yahoo! Mail Plus account as well. I entered my Yahoo! email address and clicked on next without entering a password and I was able to setup my account successfully from there by entering the additional POP3 information.

I am somewhat confused myself because I thought with BIS 2.0 all Yahoo! email accounts were suppose to compatible by default.
They are on Verizon. I've had mine setup since VZW cut over to BIS 2.0 in April.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
deezmfnutz

Quote:

They are on tmobile as well. I am not sure what is going on. BUT USING POP3 with yahoo will NOT give you real time push.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

It seems that this method is working for me as well. However, is this what I want to be doing? It says POP; I thought the best way to go was IMAP. If I go the POP route, will deleting a message from my handheld delete it from the Yahoo! server and all that good stuff?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Anyone tried Cingular BIS 2.0 with 'regular' free Yahoo account?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #14
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
Anyone tried Cingular BIS 2.0 with 'regular' free Yahoo account?

Yes many of us have, but with no success please read the thread!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

All I read is Yahoo! Mail Plus
Old 06-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

For the people who have gone the Plus route, how well is it working? Is the delivery quick? Does deleting a message from the handheld delete it from the server? What about the whole "sent appears in sent" and "read-unread" thing?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #17
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Having the same problem here with Yahoo Mail. FWIW, trying to get to the mobile Yahoo page from my blackberry rarely works when I login and I've tried on and off for several weeks.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #18
rbdavis

Model: 8800

Quote:
For the people who have gone the Plus route, how well is it working? Is the delivery quick? Does deleting a message from the handheld delete it from the server? What about the whole "sent appears in sent" and "read-unread" thing?
Delivery times remain variable on Yahoo! Mail Plus. Definitely not push. What a disappointment.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #19
rollerbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I have a @ameritech.net account which is part of Yahoo DSL (I log into yahoo to get my mail online) but the blackberry sees the server as a pop. Not sure there is any way to fix this or not.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #20
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbones
I have a @ameritech.net account which is part of Yahoo DSL (I log into yahoo to get my mail online) but the blackberry sees the server as a pop. Not sure there is any way to fix this or not.
When you add a yahoo basic or yahoo plus account to the BIS 2.0 in the push configuration you DO NOT get any pop settings, there is NO advanced tab. For some reason the current Cingular BIS 2.0 does not appear to support yahoo integration. Both tmobo and vzw do support yahoo integration wth their BIS 2.0 so I have no idea WTF is going on? Anybody with ideas?
Closed Thread