Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
ghettochild
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a
Carrier: at&t
Default Battery life...sucks?

Please Login to Remove!

So, the specs put the Bold at 5h talk time. With some modest talking, say 2 hours a day, and web surfing/emailing, say again 2 hours, that should off the battery in a day. Isn't that a bit on the "light" side?

Last edited by ghettochild; 05-27-2008 at 09:28 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (my new touch button BB)

Yup that is thus is the nature of 3G and one of the biggest reasons for its delay I believe
Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Fled
No longer Registered.

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

All hail the brick phone...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

With the HTC Smartphones, there is a utility to keep the phone in EDGE and you manually switch it to 3G to improve battery life. It is a compromise solution but you do notice the difference. Let's hope RIM has some tricks up its sleeve so when I'm away from a charger for a day I can still count on my phone.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820

3G = less battery life. Its the nature of the beast. You can't have it all and make it small.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

If it lasts from morning till I go to bed at night, that's fine with me. Not much excuse for not planning ahead and being able to recharge while you sleep, no matter where you are. Mine gets recharged every night, can't remember the last night I missed - and I travel a lot on business all over.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
sonic117
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1

yep i charge my bberry every night anyway so if it can last from wake up til end of the day, im okay with that
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

This less than usual battery life will mostly hurt the people who do not sleep!

I am betting one thing, the Bold will last twice as long as the iPhone II
Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
If it lasts from morning till I go to bed at night, that's fine with me. Not much excuse for not planning ahead and being able to recharge while you sleep, no matter where you are. Mine gets recharged every night, can't remember the last night I missed - and I travel a lot on business all over.
I agree only time I dont charge mine is on the weekend and it usually lasts two days then.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

Quoted from CNEt:

Curve 8300- "The BlackBerry Curve is rated for 4 hours of talk time and as long as 17 days of standby time. In our battery tests, we were able to get 8.5 hours of talk time on a single charge."

Curve 8310- "The BlackBerry Curve is rated for 4 hours of talk time and as long as 17 days of standby time. In our battery drain tests, we were able to beat the rated talk time by an hour with 5 hours on a single charge."

Curve 8320- "The BlackBerry 8320 has a rated talk time battery life of 4 hours and up to 17 days of standby time. We are currently still conducting our battery drain tests, as well as T-Mobile's HotSpot@Home compatibility, and we will update this section as soon we have final results."

Curve 8330- "The RIM BlackBerry Curve 8330's 1,150mAh lithium ion battery has a rated talk time of 4.3 hours and up to 11 days of standby time. We are still conducting our battery drain tests, but we will update this section as soon as we have final results."

8830 (Sprint)- "The RIM BlackBerry 8830's battery is rated for 3.6 hours of talk time and up to 9 days of standby time. In our battery tests, we were able to get 4.5 hours of talk time on a single charge."

8830 (Verizon)- "The RIM BlackBerry 8830's battery is rated for 3.6 hours of talk time and up to 9 days of standby time. In our battery tests, we were able to get 4.3 hours of talk time on a single charge."

8820- "The RIM BlackBerry 8820 is rated for 5 hours of talk time and up to 22 days of standby time. In our battery drain tests, we were able to get 7 hours of talk time on a single charge."

8703- "The 8703e's battery is rated for 3.3 hours of talk time and up to 8 days of standby time. In our battery drain tests, we were able to get a solid 5.2 hours of talk time before having to recharge."

--------------------------

I am not going to keep going through all the models, but I think you get the idea. Pretty much every BlackBerry is rated for around 4-5 hours of talk time, and they all get over that. I know some of the tests are still being run, or haven't been updated, but the trend is that they all get over the estimated talk time. In other words, relax.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

It's funny how they estimate the battery life but usually omit the battery capacity's mAh, which is generally all you need to know about battery life. I mean nobody I know talks for 5 hours straight or puts it on standby for 12 days straight. It's like saying a car will idle for 6 months on a tank of gas. Because users are all different wrt what they use the phone for the estimates are pretty useless. More mAh=more cowbell. Just tell me the battery capacity and I'll take it from there thanks.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-28-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I agree only time I dont charge mine is on the weekend and it usually lasts two days then.
Party Animal!

Speaking of party, how 'bout them DAWGS!

Just please beat Florida!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
It's funny how they estimate the battery life but usually omit the battery capacity's mAh, which is generally all you need to know about battery life. I mean nobody I know talks for 5 hours straight or puts it on standby for 12 days straight. It's like saying a car will idle for 6 months on a tank of gas. Because users are all different wrt what they use the phone for the estimates are pretty useless. More mAh=more cowbell. Just tell me the battery capacity and I'll take it from there thanks.
Actually, no. More mAh only means a bigger battery. A lot of factors influence how fast it will drain. Rating by talk/standby time allows you to compare different phones. And it does give you an indication. 5 hrs of talk gives me an idea as per my usage. The standby time gives you an idea how fast an idle battery drains. If I average 2 hrs of talk per day, 5 hrs talk/10 days standby tells me I can comfortably go 48 hours between charges. x mAh tells me nothing other than that battery is bigger/smaller than the other one.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
ghettochild

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
This less than usual battery life will mostly hurt the people who do not sleep!

I am betting one thing, the Bold will last twice as long as the iPhone II
Yet another off-topic pot shot at the iPhone. You already showed in a previous post that you have no clue when it comes to the iPhone so please just refrain from offering your opinion which isn't grounded in any facts.

I asked about the Bold, not the iPhone.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
Yet another off-topic pot shot at the iPhone. You already showed in a previous post that you have no clue when it comes to the iPhone so please just refrain from offering your opinion which isn't grounded in any facts.

Wow, did someone here give you the authority to forbid other members from offering personal opinions? And with only 12 posts to your name! No, I didn't think so. His opinion that the Bold will likely have longer battery life than the iPhone2 is similar to your opinion that the Bold's battery times are "a little light." They're both opinions and NEITHER is "grounded in any facts."
Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
ghettochild

Quote:
Wow, did someone here give you the authority to forbid other members from offering personal opinions? And with only 12 posts to your name! No, I didn't think so. His opinion that the Bold will likely have longer battery life than the iPhone2 is similar to your opinion that the Bold's battery times are "a little light." They're both opinions and NEITHER is "grounded in any facts."
Calm down. Breathe.

The response is off topic, it has zero relevance to the thread topic. I'm not interested in iPhone comparisons or cheap shots at the iPhone.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #17
IanR

Model: 8310
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
One of the biggest causes of housefires in UK according to a fire officer who came to my work place is leaving phone chargers plugged in overnight!!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #18
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:

You newbies are SO sensitive about the iPhone and any one saying something bad about it. What are you people trying to hide?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

it is a public forum so if you have thin skin you may want to rethink posting somewhere that will give you an opinion you don't agree with.

Considering you are giving an opinion on a device that hasn't even been released yet. Don't you think you are making a statement that someone else might not agree with.

Last edited by Dawg; 05-29-2008 at 06:33 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
DallasFlier

Quote:
Calm down. Breathe.

The response is off topic, it has zero relevance to the thread topic. I'm not interested in iPhone comparisons or cheap shots at the iPhone.
Great advice I'd suggest you consider taking yourself. No one asked what you're interested in or not interested in, and he and everyone else here are entitled to post their opinions - whether you happen to like them and find them interesting or not.

Chill, or take Dawg's advice and go somewhere else where everyone will only post "what you're interested in" (assuming you could find such a place.)
Closed Thread