Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
Both are great devices. I think it comes down to whether or not you like touchscreens or actual keyboards. But if you plan on using the device through work, I would definitely say Blackberry. Their BES is untouchable to Apple.
BES is untouchable to really anyone...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #22
conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 249E86E3

It really comes down to whether or not the multimedia capabilities of the phone are not more important, but far more important to you then making phone calls and text communication.

If you make calls occasionally, email is something you check "occasionally", and text communication is something you do sporadically, and....
If you want your phone to be a fashion accessory, you plan on spending a lot of time listening to music on it, you love to watch YouTube videos, and you need a near desktop like web browsing experience at your fingertips at all times - then by all means, the iPhone is clearly the right phone for you.

However, the fact that you are even considering a Bold, and found this site, would indicate to me that you are a bit more savvy than the average iPhone user, and that the actual "smartphone" usage of the phone is important to you. In that case, definitely get a BB - Bold or otherwise.

Besides the points that have already been called out in this thread, here are some other advantages of BB devices that I simply cannot live without.

1. LED indicator. I just look at the light if I want to know a message is waiting for me (sms, email, phone vm, IM). This may seem minor, but compare that to what you have to do on an iPhone. You have to physically touch the phone, and do the slide unlock swipe.
2. As a consultant, I legitimately need to monitor 4 email boxes, and need to be able to send and receive "as" from all during the day. I don't think there is an efficient way to do this on the iPhone.
3. Profiles. I love how I can have different sound effects for my different email boxes. With a single tone, I know which email box received email. I don't even need to look or touch my phone. This extends to sms, IM and vm. In addition, it's incredibly easy to switch, configure and create profiles - Normal, Work, Sleep, Vibrate, Loud, Phne Only, etc.
4. Applications are applications. Some crucial applications like GMail, Remember The Milk and last time I checked JiveTalk are all browser based applications on the iPhone. They simply don't feel right and are not efficient. Of course, there are many applications on the iPhone that are true applications, but the 3 I mentioned above are crucial communication and productivity applications that I spend most of my time in.
5. Making a phone call from any application on the BB - Just hit the Green call button, and start typing the person's name and the phone screen will start bringing up people's name as efficiently as Google's search box. Below each name the screen will show each number type registered with the name (Home, Mobile, Work, etc.). Or, if you have assigned seed dial to someone, just hit the Red button, and then hold down the assigned speed dial button.
6. Keyboard Shortcuts - I can quickly navigate to any application with 1 key press, compose an email with one key press, etc.... As you can imagine, many efficient shortcuts with a physical keyboard.

I must admit, the iPhone is extremely attractive. It's the gorgeous blond at the bar that all the guys want to take home, and it's easy to get seduced by it/her. I was that guy before both iPhone launches, but after I played with my friends on both occasions, it became apparent that it's no better than a one night stand. A BlackBerry is like the girl you take home to meet your parents, and spend the rest of your life with.

-conker
Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #23
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker View Post

I must admit, the iPhone is extremely attractive. It's the gorgeous blond at the bar that all the guys want to take home, and it's easy to get seduced by it/her. I was that guy before both iPhone launches, but after I played with my friends on both occasions, it became apparent that it's no better than a one night stand. A BlackBerry is like the girl you take home to meet your parents, and spend the rest of your life with.

-conker
Couldn't agree more. I think the iPhone is a great piece of tech, but as a business tool, it's really not there right now. The Blackberry does everything I need it to do today - not 'will be able to do someday...'. and it does it with style and sex appeal (which is still important).

But as you said at the beginning- it comes down to what is important to you.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #24
JosieGrossie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 208186D6.

I made the mistake of upgrading from my Blackberry Curve to the iPhone. I had it for less than two weeks before selling it. I couldn't get used to the typing, it would take me forever to type out long messages. The quality of the actual phone was crap, my calls dropped all the time. I hate no visual indicator of whether or not I have a message. Constantly having to slide to unlock the phone and check was frustrating. I got so fed up with it that I sold it and got the Bold, which was an awesome decision because I LOVE it.

I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for in a phone, but I found out that I will never use anything other than a BlackBerry.

Last edited by JosieGrossie; 10-19-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #25
ash_786
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
It really comes down to whether or not the multimedia capabilities of the phone are not more important, but far more important to you then making phone calls and text communication.

If you make calls occasionally, email is something you check "occasionally", and text communication is something you do sporadically, and....
If you want your phone to be a fashion accessory, you plan on spending a lot of time listening to music on it, you love to watch YouTube videos, and you need a near desktop like web browsing experience at your fingertips at all times - then by all means, the iPhone is clearly the right phone for you.

However, the fact that you are even considering a Bold, and found this site, would indicate to me that you are a bit more savvy than the average iPhone user, and that the actual "smartphone" usage of the phone is important to you. In that case, definitely get a BB - Bold or otherwise.

Besides the points that have already been called out in this thread, here are some other advantages of BB devices that I simply cannot live without.

1. LED indicator. I just look at the light if I want to know a message is waiting for me (sms, email, phone vm, IM). This may seem minor, but compare that to what you have to do on an iPhone. You have to physically touch the phone, and do the slide unlock swipe.
2. As a consultant, I legitimately need to monitor 4 email boxes, and need to be able to send and receive "as" from all during the day. I don't think there is an efficient way to do this on the iPhone.
3. Profiles. I love how I can have different sound effects for my different email boxes. With a single tone, I know which email box received email. I don't even need to look or touch my phone. This extends to sms, IM and vm. In addition, it's incredibly easy to switch, configure and create profiles - Normal, Work, Sleep, Vibrate, Loud, Phne Only, etc.
4. Applications are applications. Some crucial applications like GMail, Remember The Milk and last time I checked JiveTalk are all browser based applications on the iPhone. They simply don't feel right and are not efficient. Of course, there are many applications on the iPhone that are true applications, but the 3 I mentioned above are crucial communication and productivity applications that I spend most of my time in.
5. Making a phone call from any application on the BB - Just hit the Green call button, and start typing the person's name and the phone screen will start bringing up people's name as efficiently as Google's search box. Below each name the screen will show each number type registered with the name (Home, Mobile, Work, etc.). Or, if you have assigned seed dial to someone, just hit the Red button, and then hold down the assigned speed dial button.
6. Keyboard Shortcuts - I can quickly navigate to any application with 1 key press, compose an email with one key press, etc.... As you can imagine, many efficient shortcuts with a physical keyboard.

-conker
What he said !
Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
kkapoor

Model: 8300

I'm an avid Mac user and was leaning to the iPhone immensely. However, after careful deliberation and trying out my friends iPhones and Bolds the Bold was hands down the better phone. Functionally it is simply a better phone. It's starting to get cold here in Canada and trying to type on the iPhone in cold weather is simply not fun.

Another aspect, at least for my use, is the ability to unlock the Bold easily. I travel a lot for work (England, USA, Russia) and not being able to pop in a local sim card into the iPhone 3g is a negative. Obviously you can buy an unlocked iPhone 3G from Australia, Italy and Hong Kong, however, the cost is prohibitive.

There is a simplicity to the Blackberry experience as far as messaging goes that the iPhone cannot match yet. As far as media is concerned the iPhone is a better device, however, I prefer to have a separate iPod for that purpose which I keep at the gym. Browsing is also better on the iPhone, however, for general browsing purposes the Bold does extremely well. The Battery life of the Bold is also considerably better.

The only drawback that I have with Blackberries in general is RIM's lack of decent software for Apple OSX. However, this is slowly being rectified and OSX software is currently under development my RIM; scheduled to be released early next year.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #27
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alright thanks for everyone's feedback,

I've decided to get a blackberry, but the thing is is that I was wondering if I should wait on getting the blackberry bold 9000 because I'm wondering if there will be an updated version coming out very soon.. would this be true? like the blackberry bold 9100 or something???

Did the bold just come out or has it been out for a while?

Typing on the iphone for me is a pain in the ***!

Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
conker

Although the keyboard argument for BlackBerry's is certainly relevant and a deal maker for many when considering the iPhone versus the Bold, I think it is much more important to think beyond that when considering the pros and cons of both devices.

Hypothetically speaking, what if Apple comes out with an iPhone with a physical keyboard? Would that sway you towards buying an iPhone instead of a BB device? For me, no, and I have listed some reasons in an earlier post. This is how I approach this discussion on the many occasions it comes up within these forums and with friends.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #29
conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibodybuild View Post
Alright thanks for everyone's feedback,

I've decided to get a blackberry, but the thing is is that I was wondering if I should wait on getting the blackberry bold 9000 because I'm wondering if there will be an updated version coming out very soon.. would this be true? like the blackberry bold 9100 or something???

Did the bold just come out or has it been out for a while?

Typing on the iphone for me is a pain in the ***!

Thanks
Good timing, checkout:

Logical BlackBerry Smartphone Speculation for 2009 | CrackBerry.com
Rogers 2009 BlackBerry lineup : Boy Genius Report
BlackBerry Magnum to appear at WES 2009? | BlackBerry Cool

My feeling is, you are always going to be behind the curve. Apple has stepped up the pressure on everyone by releasing a new version of it's product lineup every year! Look at how this has influenced RIM. They are cranking out devices! You've got to ask yourself what is missing from the Bold that you desire. The Bold is loaded. I suppose you could make a somewhat legitimate argument to wait for:

+ Higher megapixel camera
+ More on board memory
+ Touch screen
+ Larger screen

??? However, I think every other h/w specification that is important and desirable is in the Bold.

-conker
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #30
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Good timing, checkout:

Logical BlackBerry Smartphone Speculation for 2009 | CrackBerry.com
Rogers 2009 BlackBerry lineup : Boy Genius Report
BlackBerry Magnum to appear at WES 2009? | BlackBerry Cool

My feeling is, you are always going to be behind the curve. Apple has stepped up the pressure on everyone by releasing a new version of it's product lineup every year! Look at how this has influenced RIM. They are cranking out devices! You've got to ask yourself what is missing from the Bold that you desire. The Bold is loaded. I suppose you could make a somewhat legitimate argument to wait for:

+ Higher megapixel camera
+ More on board memory
+ Touch screen
+ Larger screen

??? However, I think every other h/w specification that is important and desirable is in the Bold.

-conker
Thank you, so it's good timing to pickup the bold now?

Thanks a lot
Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #31
conker

Your call, we can only help you make an informed decision. Hopefully, others who are more knowledgeable will chime in.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
raynicolini
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 28316DB1
Carrier: Toronto Wireless

I had a blackberry, then i went to the iPhone when it first came out, it is a great phone at first. Actually it is a great video ipod, but email just plain sucks. After 6 months i got very bored with the phone and I went back to the curve until the BOLD came out. Now I am never going back. My path will always remain BB.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #33
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alright, so now my options have kind of changed....

It's between the iphone and the blackberry curve 8300. What would you say, use the iphone 3g or the blackberry curve... This is such a hard decision!

Thanks to everyone's input so far
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #34
Emboldened
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: o2

what's changed?

I had the same decision between iphone and Bold and plumped for the Bold... too many problems i'd find on the iphone:

-no copy and paste (from the people who invented it no less!)
-no multi-tasking
-lack of true push email
-no forwarding of sms messages (not sure of this one)
-no tactile feedback on touchscreen
-poor camera (ok the Bold's isn't much better, so I keep my N82 around)
-lack of video recording
-lack of MMS messaging (though I've never used this)
-not being able to send or receive files/ringtones/music via bluetooth (so you have to email photos)
-no bluetooth stereo headphones (strange it's missing on a glorified iPod!)
-battery can only be removed by Apple which costs upto $100 ? (unless you void the warranty)
-no memory cards.. so no possibility of having hot-swappable 32gb cards in the future. 16gb cards are already out.
-no DivX/XviD support.
-poor telephony quality
-difficult to use one-handed.
-no mass storage support
-having to install the iTunes virus on your computer to transfer files/music.
-no rapid speed dial
-no BB Messenger ;)

-no hardware keyboard (duh! I just don't think I'd get along with current touchscreens, only the Storm with it's click may be ok).

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there is more, but it also does SOME things very well, like web browsing... the music player is supposed to be ok, and the screen size is a big plus of course.

I'll also add, the N82 seems to multitask better than the Bold and has native FlashLite support, a better 3.2MP camera (not a factor for me as I have the 5MP N82) as well as Fring available for it (great for Skype and messengers). I almost went for the Nokia E71 and the only thing that stopped me was the slightly smaller screen size, what *looks* like a more cramped keyboard (but is supposed to be one of the best) and strangely, lack of divx/xvid, though I know CorePlayer plays DivX etc (I have it on the N82). And I wasn't sure if push mail would be quite the same.

If you are really considering the iphone and don't mind no push email, I'd go for the E71. Great all-metal build quality.

Also, having both the Bold and the N82, the Bold seems to freeze more than the N82 which seems to be quicker, so I would imagine the E71 may be quicker. Still enjoying the Bold though Keep in mind for movie viewing, you will need well converted files into DivX or XviD or there are problems with sync'd audio etc. I've found myself converting a lot to the smaller mp4 format to fit in more as well, so that may defeat the whole reasoning for me wanting DivX support...!

Gotta say this, seems like there are more free Symbian apps available than BB :(

Last edited by Emboldened; 10-22-2008 at 07:51 AM..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #35
328iGuy

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:

It's between the iphone and the blackberry curve 8300. What would you say, use the iphone 3g or the blackberry curve... This is such a hard decision!

Why would you want to get old technology in the Curve and skip over the Bold?

Last edited by 328iGuy; 10-22-2008 at 07:40 AM..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #36
conker

Quote:

ibodybuild, it is still a matter of what you want. My original reply to you still applies. The decision should simply be based on whether or not you will rely on the device for heavy text communication. If only casually, then go for the iPhone. Please see my original reply to you.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #37
msarway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

You want a true report i will tell u. i had the iphone 2g from the day it came out until the new 3g came out. i loved it. i used to have a BB curve and it was great for business. the iphone 2g was great because it filled all my needs at the time but it still lacked some key features. when i went to the 3g i was disappointed because of the quality and the service dropped. i will keep it short and sweet if you are a heavy email user BB if you want coolness and more meidia then iphone. i am now using the BB bold and i am loving it for emails and business. i sold my iphone and got the ipod touch for media. PM me if you want more info. i went what you are going threw now.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #38
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

RIM is really missing the boat by not being able to get its stuff together with the Bold. I am a true BB lover and will wait for however long it takes them to perfect the Bold. As for general overall sales, the fact remains that most smart phone users are not the afficionados that we on this forum are. My wife needed a new phone and simply refused to wait for the Bold to come out so she opted for the iPhone. Despite what many have said about the iPhone on this forum about its shortcomings, the public has spoken and Apple's profits are up 26% almost solely due to the termendous sales of the iPhone.

RIM take heed and fix the Bold's problems!!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #39
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Exclamation

Quote:
I'm deciding between getting the bold or the iphone... can someone please point me in the direction of which I should choose and why.

What is better overall, the bold or iphone?

Thanks in advance.

They are two totally different devices and you cannot really make a fair comparison.

The screen on the iPhone is twice the size of any Blackberry.

iPhone has a virtual keyboard (indeed - whole interface is touch of course) and BB obviously has a physical keyboard. I certainly do miss the physical keyboard on my curve as well as autotext, but I actually type a lot faster than I thought I would on the iPhone.

Internet -- iPhone, hands down. Period. Anyone who has ever seen one knows what the iPhone can do on Internet.

Email - Blackberry wins hands down. With iPhone, the only way to get true push is if you have Exchange, MobileMe, or Yahoo. Also no real IM on iPhone because as soon as the phone goes "idle" it kicks you off of any chat you might be engaged in, and you are unable to receive any messages.

There are some rumors that this might be fixed in the upcoming 2.2 firmware, but who knows........

The iPhone can do things that no Blackberry could ever even dream of doing. You can truly use the iPhone as an eBook reader.

I get tired of looking at lengthy e-mails on a Blackberry, let alone an entire book!

One more thing - 128mb on the BOLD vs. 8 or 16GB on the iPhone.

Enough said.

I had a Curve and an 8700 and do not (yet?) have a bold, but the call quality on my iPhone is amazing, much better than either of my Blackberrys and switching back and forth between calls is a lot smoother, faster, easier and much more seamless than it was on either of my two blackberries. It is a lot easier to quickly touch a large virtual button than to scroll a tiny wheel or ball to exactly the right option.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #40
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRaffey View Post
RIM is really missing the boat by not being able to get its stuff together with the Bold. I am a true BB lover and will wait for however long it takes them to perfect the Bold. As for general overall sales, the fact remains that most smart phone users are not the afficionados that we on this forum are. My wife needed a new phone and simply refused to wait for the Bold to come out so she opted for the iPhone. Despite what many have said about the iPhone on this forum about its shortcomings, the public has spoken and Apple's profits are up 26% almost solely due to the termendous sales of the iPhone.

RIM take heed and fix the Bold's problems!!

RIM lost one certain sale here as well by not getting the Bold out fast enough -- I bought an iPhone a couple weeks ago and I'm happy enough with it that I am no longer clamoring for the bold as I had been.

I was getting fed up with the pathetic amount of memory on my curve -- 64 MB???? Come ON, RIM!!!!! And having to constantly delete e-mails and keep on top of my system memory, finding things to delete or clean up.

With 8 GIGS on the iPhone, I'm constantly looking for things to fill it up, and new things to do with it instead of ways to pare it down like on my BB Curve. Worrying about deleting emails, etc.......

Even the new bold is only going to have 128MB of actual system memory -- the gigabyte they threw in is only for media!!! WTF????

*maybe* I'll change my mind after I see and play with a Bold, but I'm really liking my iPhone a lot - a lot more than I had expected to.
Closed Thread