Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
zoeyindisguise

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default New to Blackberry, please HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

Okay I'll start off by saying I'm completely woefully clueless about technical stuff so please don't hold that against me!

I got a Blackberry Curve 8520 on Orange Pay-as-you-go for Christmas. I basically cannot do a thing with it. I cannot connect to the internet (the 'gprs' in the upper right hand corner is ALWAYS lower case), I cannot get a wireless connection (whenever I try to set one up, the whole network scanning thing, it ends up asking me for a pre-shared key, which I do not know anything about, nor where to find one and every time I try to google it I find that everyone seems to know exactly what it is and where to find it but never explains and so I end up feeling like the stupidest person on the planet.)

Also the only browser I have is called 'Hotspot' or something like that, shouldn't I have an Orange one? Shouldn't I be able to connect to Orangeworld via that? Should I just admit defeat and sell it on Ebay?!

No, seriously, I can't work any of these things out and on top of all of that I keep hearing about some £5 a month Blackberry internet service package or something of the sort and when I google it I can't even come up with anything official or substantial about that, just people talking about it in forums. I have read (from cover to cover) every single manual and start-up guide that came with the Blackberry, read everything on the disc, tried (in vain) to find any helpful information on the Orange and Blackberry websites and googled for hours, I am STUCK. I'm slightly wishing I had never got it.

Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Welcome to the forums....

1st of all you MUST have a BlackBerry data plan to access the internet, email and other functions on the device. That's why you have gprs in lower case letters.. If you had a data plan you would have cap GPRS..

Next, if you are trying to connect to wifi then it's probably encrypted with a security key. If the network i yours then you should know or have the key. If the network is not yours then that's why you can't connect.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

pre-shared key.
its the password you enter to connect to wi-fi.

if you didn't setup wi-fi in your house, ask the person that did.

Call Orange, and ask them about the blackberry package.
they will tell you how much it is, if you can get it, and will set it up for you.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread