Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
nikola_g

Model: NONE
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Default International Phone

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and I'm considering purchasing a Blackberry 8800 for use as an international cell phone (using an International Sim Card for example).

I have a couple of questions first about the Blackberry 8800. It says it is wireless. Does this mean it has unlimited ability to surf the internet (ie, unlimited data) while it is able to connect to a wireless network? Can it access this data even if I do not have a data plan?

Also, I imagine that an International Sim Card, which would suit my needs as I am going international soon, but still needing to run my business, would not allow me any data.

Are there any other Sim Cards or methods that people have found for going international with one number (preferable US or Canada, but Europe would do), that would work with a Blackberry and give me the ability to also receive my email on the Blackberry?

Also, if it helps, I may be spending a fair bit of that time abroad in Israel.

Free SMSs would also be a plus.

I'm a bit new to this, but starting my research, and leaning towards this new Blackberry.

Thanks to anyone for any advice!

Cheers,

N
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikola_g View Post
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and I'm considering purchasing a Blackberry 8800 for use as an international cell phone (using an International Sim Card for example).
The BlackBerry would have to be unlocked to use a SIM from another carrier.

Quote:
I have a couple of questions first about the Blackberry 8800. It says it is wireless. Does this mean it has unlimited ability to surf the internet (ie, unlimited data) while it is able to connect to a wireless network? Can it access this data even if I do not have a data plan?
The 8800 does not have WiFi so you need a BlackBerry data plan. When they say wireless they mean wireless cellular network. Unlimited data depends on your data plan.

Quote:
Also, I imagine that an International Sim Card, which would suit my needs as I am going international soon, but still needing to run my business, would not allow me any data.
BlackBerry is tied to the carrier. If you change SIM you will not get email.

Quote:
Are there any other Sim Cards or methods that people have found for going international with one number (preferable US or Canada, but Europe would do), that would work with a Blackberry and give me the ability to also receive my email on the Blackberry?
Call forwarding service.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
larion

Model: no
Carrier: no

What I know for sure is that roaming services are very expensive for all users around the world, regardless of the mobile provider they use. That's why I've chosen CallinEurope, they achieve the same effect as international roaming with a major difference – they are much cheaper.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
techcrazy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T MO

You can consider buying unlock blackberry 8320. This will solve your problem of wireless connectivity as well you can take local service while travelling abroad

TechCrazy
" Please Let me know if you know more techniques"
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2
Carrier: Orange UK

I find roaming with a BlackBerry (data-wise) to actually be very good value. If I am going to be spending more than a week or so abroad, I divert my phone to a UK VOIP number before I go and then divert that VOIP number to a temporary PAYG SIM I have. Then when I get to the country concerned, I buy a local SIM and swap the PAYG SIM for the local one, log into the VOIP number and get it to forward calls to whatever the number for the local SIM is. Saves me an absolute fortune as it means that I can divert my mobile elsewhere before I go (if you divert after you leave your home country you get charged for the diverted calls as roamed) and also change where these calls end up online.

I then just use my BB for emails on my (roaming) data plan and it really helps keep the cost down.

I've just come back from Australia and doing it this way means I spent about £20 on phone calls for two weeks, rather than about £400.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon BIS
Default roaming international

You can get your phone unlocked for usage with SIM cards for the country you are in(this would allow you to get local rates for calls within that country). As for data plans, your carrier should have unlimited data plans that you can purchase. I'm with verizon and they have a month to month international data plan (unlimited usage) for $100 a month, so you can you activate it whenever you go overseas.
Closed Thread