BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
brh986
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Skype on Blackberries with WiFi - WHEN!?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm considering a curve 8900 mainly due to the WiFi feature. I would like to use it as a cell phone just so as not carry an extra device but mainly I would like to do e-mail and skype calling over WiFi. I know the iPhone allows this which would be perfect if it weren't for the worthless touch screen keyboard on the iPhone that is absolutely unacceptable for sending email of a length more than 1 or 2 words. However, without being to do skype voice calling over WiFi it's a major deal breaker.

Skype says here (Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype) that we should have had the software 6 months ago but when you follow the link there is no blackberry software: Download Skype for your mobile

I posted multiple times asking for clarification on skype's forum but the questions are just ignored. If there is no skype client for blackberry, why not!?! When will it be out?

What are my options besides blackberry (won't work for me if there is no skype) and iphone (keyboard sucks can't email)? I need a WiFi smart phone that can do both.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

try iskoot.

At least if your after the chat functionality The call out via wifi (as oppose to a skypeout mobile number) we are still waiting on.

Whenever it gets done. Apps take as long as they take, timelines are great but often missed.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A SKYPE app was in beta earlier in the year. Shortly thereafter SKYPE's legal problems surfaced and there has been only silence in regards to the app.

From what I understand, the app would still use your minutes, so I am not sure how much value one would gain, unless perhaps, one was doing international calls which would presumably just use regular cell minutes, not international rates.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
brh986
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post

From what I understand, the app would still use your minutes
why should that be? it doesn't on an iphone?

Furthermore, if skype is too incompetent to get this job done why haven't some hackers done it? I can't see why an iphone should be able to accomodate full featured skype but the latest blackberries can't?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

You may be interested in IM+ for Skype beta-testing. New IM+ for Skype version supports free Skype calls via Wi-Fi.
See more details in this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...a-testing.html
Closed Thread