Old 07-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
brh986
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Blackberry & Email with Outlook & Gmail

Please Login to Remove!

I like the way the blackberry works for the most part but there are some "features" that are quite annoying.

I used "setup internet" through the main menu to add my two gmail accounts and it's really cool how the messages are delivered right to my regular inbox - although can be a little confusing since everything is mixed together with my work outlook account. What is annoying however is that when I reply to something that shows up as a new message from myself in my inbox as if I had replied to myself - but I didn't I reply to the person. Extremely annoying and makes extra messages to delete. Is there any way to fix this?

Also I wish that when I deleted messages on my desk top they would be automatically deleted from my blackberry particularly for outlook. I hate having to delete everything twice. Would be nice for Gmail also but assuming it's not possible because I think gmail is not "push" but regular pop3.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
H-bomb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

A simple search will yield the answer for your problem getting emails sent back to you from gmail. Log into your BIS site (at tmobile.com) and set up a filter to prevent messages addressed from [email address] from being delivered to your BB.

When you delete messages on your device, they will be deleted from your Gmail account as well, as long as you have the option set:

home screen / click the messages icon / menu key / options / email reconciliation /
then set the options you want for each address. They're pretty self-explanatory.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
brh986

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-bomb View Post
A simple search will yield the answer for your problem getting emails sent back to you from gmail. Log into your BIS site (at tmobile.com) and set up a filter to prevent messages addressed from [email address] from being delivered to your BB.

When you delete messages on your device, they will be deleted from your Gmail account as well, as long as you have the option set:

home screen / click the messages icon / menu key / options / email reconciliation /
then set the options you want for each address. They're pretty self-explanatory.
Yea I'm familiary with the options you mentioned and I have them setup to reconcile and "mailbox wins" for all but when I delete something on my desktop it doesn't auto delete on the handset - I thought that's what should happen. When I use the "reconcile now" button nothing happens either.

No idea what the problem is.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brh986 View Post
Yea I'm familiary with the options you mentioned and I have them setup to reconcile and "mailbox wins" for all but when I delete something on my desktop it doesn't auto delete on the handset - I thought that's what should happen. When I use the "reconcile now" button nothing happens either.

No idea what the problem is.

Thanks.
It reconciles with Gmail not Outlook. Outlook just reads what is on Gmail when you "Pop" it. Deleting on your PC will do nothing as Gmail does not read Outlook.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
brh986

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly View Post
It reconciles with Gmail not Outlook. Outlook just reads what is on Gmail when you "Pop" it. Deleting on your PC will do nothing as Gmail does not read Outlook.
That doesn't make any sense. #1 it doesn't synch with Gmail and I wouldn't expect it to. I would expect it to synch with outlook though but it doesn't. For example if I turn on my blackberry in the morning and I have 30 new emails then I go to work and delete them all on my desktop they don't automatically disapear from the blackberry - I have to delete them all again. That doesn't seem right...
Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. #1 it doesn't synch with Gmail and I wouldn't expect it to. I would expect it to synch with outlook though but it doesn't. For example if I turn on my blackberry in the morning and I have 30 new emails then I go to work and delete them all on my desktop they don't automatically disapear from the blackberry - I have to delete them all again. That doesn't seem right...
Just to be sure- are we talking about BIS? If you are on BES with work none of what I say applies, this is for BIS only:

E-mail comes in to Gmail
Email is pushed to Handheld
Outlook Pops gmail and holds it on your PC
If you Delete from Gmail it drops from BB
If you delete from BB it drops from Gmail
If you do anything on outlook it has no effect on either of the others as your PC does not send info out- it just reads from Gmail.

If you delete on handheld or Gmail before Outlook has a chance to pop it from Gmail then it will not show on Outlook because you deleted it before Outlook could pop it.

Make sense now?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I thought Gmail didn't do the two-way sync like Yahoo! mail. I know that, at least on mine, it doesn't. When I delete something on my BlackBerry it will delete it from Gmail, but not the other way around. With my Yahoo! account it works both ways.

I had read somewhere where this is the case, I think it was a thread about the new BIS v2.3 changes. I have tried deleting the account and setting it back up, as well resending the service books. Right now it is not an issue for me because I just have all mail from Gmail just archived, and read it on my BlackBerry.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I thought Gmail didn't do the two-way sync like Yahoo! mail. I know that, at least on mine, it doesn't. When I delete something on my BlackBerry it will delete it from Gmail, but not the other way around. With my Yahoo! account it works both ways.

I had read somewhere where this is the case, I think it was a thread about the new BIS v2.3 changes. I have tried deleting the account and setting it back up, as well resending the service books. Right now it is not an issue for me because I just have all mail from Gmail just archived, and read it on my BlackBerry.
You may be right. It works with Yahoo- I stopped using Gmail after BIS 2.3 because Yahoo did this and they are my domain host.
Sorry for any confusion- It works on Yahoo the way I described- it may work that way with Gmail or it may not.

JP
Old 07-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
brh986

Quote:
Just to be sure- are we talking about BIS? If you are on BES with work none of what I say applies, this is for BIS only:

E-mail comes in to Gmail
Email is pushed to Handheld
Outlook Pops gmail and holds it on your PC
If you Delete from Gmail it drops from BB
If you delete from BB it drops from Gmail
If you do anything on outlook it has no effect on either of the others as your PC does not send info out- it just reads from Gmail.

If you delete on handheld or Gmail before Outlook has a chance to pop it from Gmail then it will not show on Outlook because you deleted it before Outlook could pop it.

Make sense now?
No I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would outlook be involved in Gmail at all. Two seperate things. Outlook should not be "poping" gmail at all. My blackberry synchs to my outlook enterprise email, it also synchs with two gmail accounts I setup on the phone. Simple. I don't know what you're going on and on about. When I delete a message WITH the computer on either gmail or outlook it does not disapear from my blackberry unless I seperately delete it. I can understand that gmail may not be sophisticated enough for this functionality but outlook should.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
brh986

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I had read somewhere where this is the case, I think it was a thread about the new BIS v2.3 changes. I have tried deleting the account and setting it back up, as well resending the service books.

What do you mean by resending the service books?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
No I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would outlook be involved in Gmail at all. Two seperate things. Outlook should not be "poping" gmail at all. My blackberry synchs to my outlook enterprise email, it also synchs with two gmail accounts I setup on the phone. Simple. I don't know what you're going on and on about. When I delete a message WITH the computer on either gmail or outlook it does not disapear from my blackberry unless I seperately delete it. I can understand that gmail may not be sophisticated enough for this functionality but outlook should.
You are on BES- talk to your IT guy.

Like I said, I was giving the info based on using BIS not BES. Sorry I was going "on and on", I took time out of my day to try to help you. You never said anything about Enterprise server before this post- just BB, Outlook and Gmail which is a standard BIS setup. Good luck to you
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
brh986

Quote:
You are on BES- talk to your IT guy.

Like I said, I was giving the info based on using BIS not BES. Sorry I was going "on and on", I took time out of my day to try to help you. You never said anything about Enterprise server before this post- just BB, Outlook and Gmail which is a standard BIS setup. Good luck to you
The IT guys aren't going to support my gmail. I just don't understand why the black berry doesn't synch to anything like it seems it should - none of it.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
H-bomb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

For your work email: are you on BES or BIS? The sync will behave differently depending on how you are set up.
If BES: you should have 2-way immediate synch ... contact your IT department if it's not working.
If BIS: it depends... are you using POP, IMAP, OWA, or desktop redirector? Each will behave differently. We can help you understand how it works, but we need to know how it's set up.

As you can see, there are a lot more behind-the-scenes questions that will change the way you access your email, so don't blame anyone for being confused when you just say "outlook," because using outlook at work doesn't say anything about how your BB accesses your work email.

As far as Gmail goes, the sync capabilities aren't 100% complete. Mail read and deleted on your BB will be marked read and deleted in Gmail, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Last edited by H-bomb; 07-17-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Closed Thread