BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
GNemes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Reconcile deleted messages doesn't seem to work?

Please Login to Remove!

I just read through a previous thread about reconciling messages, but I must not be getting it.

In my BIS account, I have checked "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device."

I thought this meant that when a message was deleted from my mailbox server that it would also be deleted from my BB? So far the only way I can delete messages from the BB is to manually delete them. I've checked my mail server and the messages are truly gone from there ... but the BB still retains them.

Is there another setting somewhere that controls this?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Make sure your Email Reconciliation is set to ON CONFLICTS MAILBOX WINS. Go into your E-mail-Blackberry button-option-email reconciliation- By changing this it will delete on both.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
cjackson3

Carrier: Sprint

I understand it as the "delete from my mailbox server" only works if the provider as their system setup to work like that. I have the same problem with one of my email accounts because the provider setup will not allow it.

I also understand that reconciliation only works with BES setup.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
GNemes

Thanks, lostman ... It is already set as "Mailbox Wins" ... doesn't seem to work though

CJackson: ... Hmmm, I'm a little confused. I talked to other BB users last night, but they're with Verizon and I'm with Sprint. But we all use the same other settings: Comcast with Outlook, not with Enterprise Server. There BB's seem to do this just fine. Mine just won't. What do you think?

Thanks so much, both of you. This BB learning curve is SOOOO steep!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

If the messages have been downloaded into a mail client and the "leave messages on server" isn't checked, then the BB doesnt know when you delete from the mail client.

You either need to make sure you leave messages on server or use IMAP setup if your email provider has it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
GNemes

Midnight Draven ... I think I need to hire you to come and sit down with me and beat this stuff into my head. I just must not think like a BB yet ..

Okay, so here's what's set up:

Outlook is set to pick up messages every x minutes.
Outlook is set to delete messages from server when messages are picked up.
BB is set as "Mailbox Wins"
BIS is set to "Reconcile deleted messages between server & BB"

I don't want to leave messages on the server. Things need to be cleaned out once Outlook has downloaded them. It's messy to just leave things hanging around. And I don't want to tell Outlook or the server to delete them every so many days ... Sometimes I may be away for a few days and not pick up messages. They should be there until I pick them up. Then they should go away.

And the BB should have some sort of method that allows me to manually delete the messages at will, or it should just do it on it's own when it sees that they're gone from the server. (which isn't working, even though everyone says it should)

If I delete messages at will, then I get into the whole call log issue (other thread) and lose track of who's called, etc.

I need separate controls for the call log and for messages.

There has to be a way. This is pretty basic stuff.

I'm the sole owner of a business, I don't have Enterprise Server and don't need it.

This is goofy.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNemes View Post
Thanks, lostman ... It is already set as "Mailbox Wins" ... doesn't seem to work though

CJackson: ... Hmmm, I'm a little confused. I talked to other BB users last night, but they're with Verizon and I'm with Sprint. But we all use the same other settings: Comcast with Outlook, not with Enterprise Server. There BB's seem to do this just fine. Mine just won't. What do you think?

Thanks so much, both of you. This BB learning curve is SOOOO steep!
It's a sprint thing LOL. Did you test it with a new message? I would send a message to your self and make sure it works? The old ones might not work? Also try to boot your phone and see if that helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
lostman72

on the call logs here is a thread that tells you how to do that

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1452395
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
lostman72

what Ver. of outlook do you have 2003 or 2007 ?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

If you download messages into outlook and they are not left on the server.
Then when the BB polls for messages from the server there arent any.

If you receive a message on your blackberry, and then open outlook and it receives it, outlook removes it from the server. but because its on your BB, that copy will stay.

the sync messages between BB and server ONLY works if the message that is on your blackberry is STILL on the server.

i.e. i have an email on BB. that email has been downloaded into my email client. that email is still on my BB.
my setup is POP and this is how it works.

I think you would need to use IMAP for the email, but not all email providers have IMAP setup

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 08-16-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
lostman72

There is a way to set up your outlook to look at message only. not down load them. I need to know what ver. you have to look it up. It's been a long time that I set one up like that. Unless you want to do a google search. What Midnightdraven is saying is 100% correct.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
GNemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
If you download messages into outlook and they are not left on the server.
Then when the BB polls for messages from the server there arent any.

That's correct, as it should be

If you receive a message on your blackberry, and then open outlook and it receives it, outlook removes it from the server. but because its on your BB, that copy will stay.

Say what? If the message is gone from the server, it should be removed frm the BB. If not, what's the purpose of "Reconcile delete messages from the BB & server?" If the messages are still on the server, they're not deleted, they exist. How would the BB know to delete them from the BB message store?.

the sync messages between BB and server ONLY works if the message that is on your blackberry is STILL on the server.

Yes, if there's a message on the server, then I expect the BB to retrieve it and still leave it on the server. The BB should not be deleting messages from the server, nor is it doing so. If there's a message missing from the server that was previously retrieved by the BB, then I expect the BB to remove it from itself (the BB)

i.e. i have an email on BB. that email has been downloaded into my email client. that email is still on my BB.
my setup is POP and this is how it works.

Look, if there's an email on the BB & that email is downloaded also into Outlook 2007 (Lostman, thanks!), then it must be deleted from somewhere. It absolutely must stay in Outlook -- that's the management tool. BB is a "convenience" tool that comes into play when a message is not yet rec'd by Outlook. My setup is POP too ... Every other BB user I know that is using BIS says that messages just disappear from their BB after they pick up messages via Outlook. That's the "reconcile" setting from what I can see.

I think you would need to use IMAP for the email, but not all email providers have IMAP setup

I'll check into IMAP, but I don't think Comcast supports it.

(see my comments in the quoted message in bold)

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall here.

Look, I know I sound like I'm being difficult and I'm not really pigheaded ... honest! But somehow we're not quite communicating or this system truly isn't the one for me. It's kinda like the old WordPerfect vs. Word debate. I loved WPerfect -- it was easy for me to see what was going on and fix it. A programmer wasn't making formatting decisions for me. Word and I still aren't friends, but we exist.

I'm feeling the same way about the BB right now. So far I'm finding it cumbersome to use. Too many "go to this menu" moves are necessary for what seem to be the simplest tasks.

I'm not a fan of the Treo hardware, which is why I left it. The daggone thing froze up at the slightest provocation. But there were what seemed to be some logical "in your face" tasks such as picking up messages, manually deleting them, accessing call logs, scrolling down to see the quick dial/shortcut dials, etc.

Here, from what I can tell, one must go to a particular screen, then know the shortcut, which may take two hands and concentration to perform. Not easy when one just needs to return a missed call while driving, etc.

I'll get this eventually and I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the effort you are taking to help me understand. I'm trying! REALLY. And you are fantastic helpers! But somehow I feel as though things still aren't working as advertised, you know what I mean?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I use Windows Live Mail not outlook.
But the same principal applies.

In my case, I get an email on my BB. (yes its a copy, not downloaded off the server). Windows Live Mail then retrieves the message.
I then delete in windows live message accordingly.

That message is still on my Blackberry right now.
I have gone menu - reconcile now
and the message is still on my BB.
I also have the check box for sync deleted messages.
But that message is still on my BB.

Say I received an email on BB. And Im away and dont have access to my mail client.
If I then deleted that email on the BB, and select both handheld AND mailbox, and I have the sync setting checked; it would delete it off the server.

But once a mail client is involved, with POP setup anyway, the COPY of the email on your BB stays once the ACTUAL email from your server has been downloaded.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
GNemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post

But once a mail client is involved, with POP setup anyway, the COPY of the email on your BB stays once the ACTUAL email from your server has been downloaded.
Okay, we're together until the very end. I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that it's not working. Here's what's happpening ...

A COPY of the email is picked up by the BB.

The ACTUAL email on the server is downloaded to Outlook.

The ACTUAL email then no longer exists on the server, so the COPY of the email on the BB should reconcile and delete itself from the BB.

The COPY isn't being deleted. It stays on the BB until I manually delete it.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Yes, thats what im saying is happening.

The ACTUAL email then no longer exists on the server, so the COPY of the email on the BB should reconcile and delete itself from the BB.

I understand thats what you want and think should happen, but in practise it doesnt.

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 08-16-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
GNemes

So ... are you saying that mine isn't reconciling correctly?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No.
This is what happens with mine.

A COPY of the email is picked up by the BB.

The ACTUAL email on the server is downloaded to Outlook.

The COPY isn't deleted. It stays on the BB until I manually delete it.

This is what I expect to happen from my understanding of BIS.

I could post a pic of the email on my device that has already been downloaded from the server and deleted in windows live mail, but it wouldn't exactly help.

Im assuming you are using an ISP email provider? as opposed to hotmail/gmail/yahoo.
Typically these providers dont have any coding in place to allow BIS to do some things. They merely allow BIS to poll for messages like an email client would.
i.e.yahoo has the coding in place to recognise BIS and let it have almost near as can be 2way sync (which doesnt happen for any other email provider with BIS)

Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
GNemes

okay ...

I think I made a major big mistake buying the Tour.

Now what ... Believe it or not, Sprint charges $35 to change to a new phone even in their 15-day "trial" period ...

I'm not a happy camper right now ...
Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Can I ask you to check a setting?
Go into the messages icon
click menu - options
go to email reconcilation
is the option for wireless reconcilation on or off?

mine is set to on, but does the behaviour as described.
so just want to check.

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 08-16-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I think ive found the answer...
I want to wait incase your replying to my above message before mentioning it.

Closed Thread