BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
bculler2

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Having trouble getting BES installed/configured ...

Please Login to Remove!

The office where I work here has recently decided to try out the BlackBerry system for the first time, so we are trying to install of of this stuff fresh, never done it before. I'm a bit confused on a couple parts.

The very first thing we did was install the BES on our windows 2003 server, which is also running Exchange 2003.

So I'm going through the "Installation Guide". I'm on the "Configuring your Environment" chapter.

I created the "BESAdmin" user account in Exchange, gave it the Domain User membership, gave the account "Send As" permission for all user accounts.

Then it says "Initialize the new mailbox by sending a test message". What does this mean? Send a message TO the BESAdmin account, or send a test message FROM that account? How does sending a message to it initialize it?

Either way, I sent a message to the besadmin account, not really sure how one sends a message "from" that account. It bounced back as undeliverable.

So next I gave the account log on locally and log on as service permissions, and added it to the local administrators group.

The next couple parts are where it gets really confusing. The next stay says to "Set Exchange View Only Administrator permission with Administrative Groups as the Minimum Access Level, and also to Set Send As, Receive As, and Administer Information Store permissions at the server level"

That makes zero sense to me... it doesn't even sound like english. I looked all around in the Exchange 2003 System Manager for anything that says "Exchange View Only Administrator" but I don't see anything even resembling that. Where exactly do I go to do those two steps?

Then next it says to enable MAPI profiles, simply by "opening the Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager"? Thats seriously it, you just OPEN it, but then don't actually do anything? I've opened the system manager a thousand times, its never said anything about enabling MAPI profiles simply by opening the thing. How do I tell if MAPI profiles are present or not? Just looking around in the system manager, I don't see anything referencing MAPI profiles anywhere.

So, I'm kind of stuck here. Am I reading the wrong set of instructions or something?

Thanks

Last edited by bculler2; 04-19-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
bculler2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bculler2 View Post
Either way, I sent a message to the besadmin account, not really sure how one sends a message "from" that account. It bounced back as undeliverable.
Well I found the issue with this at least... apparently when you create a user in active directory that is not a "domain user", it doesn't automatically create the exchange mailbox for it.

So, I did that, and was able to send mail to BESadmin, and I could open BESAdmin's inbox and see the mail and everything, so at least that whole part is okay.

It's just still that when I'm on the Exchange server, I try to start the Blackberry Manager, I get an error saying "Failed to open the default message store using the MAPI Profile 'BlackBerryManager'. Please review the log for details, you will not be able to send messages from BlackBerry Manager by email."

I tried using the "Edit MAPI Profile" utility that came with BES, and that all seems to be entered correctly. It's recognizing both the exchange server and the Mailbox (BESAdmin).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Well I found the issue with this at least... apparently when you create a user in active directory that is not a "domain user", it doesn't automatically create the exchange mailbox for it.

So, I did that, and was able to send mail to BESadmin, and I could open BESAdmin's inbox and see the mail and everything, so at least that whole part is okay.

It's just still that when I'm on the Exchange server, I try to start the Blackberry Manager, I get an error saying "Failed to open the default message store using the MAPI Profile 'BlackBerryManager'. Please review the log for details, you will not be able to send messages from BlackBerry Manager by email."

I tried using the "Edit MAPI Profile" utility that came with BES, and that all seems to be entered correctly. It's recognizing both the exchange server and the Mailbox (BESAdmin).
TBH I wouldn't waste on this method. IMHO installing BES on an Exchange box is a really bad idea so if you get s separate box and install on there, all should be good (or better!). If it isn't, it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot, and your Exchange environment will thank you for it

The View only admin stuff refers to the level of access you allow the besadmin accoutn to have on the Exchange servers from within the admin groups section of ESM. Your Exch admin shuld know what this means and be able to set it up for you. It just means giving the account enough rights to access the accounts but not masquerade as them.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
bculler2

I am the closest thing to an exchange admin :(

I've got the Exchange System Manager open, I've got the Active Directory manager open... I've looked all around and just don't see anywhere that you can set these permissions. Where specifically is it?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
I am the closest thing to an exchange admin :(

I've got the Exchange System Manager open, I've got the Active Directory manager open... I've looked all around and just don't see anywhere that you can set these permissions. Where specifically is it?
Sorry, forum kept dying on me yesterday. ESM>your domain>admin groups>your admin group>servers>right click your server>security tab.

besadmin needs allow in there to the "Administer info store" perm.
Closed Thread