Old 06-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
queritor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Finally... a solution for Google Apps and the BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

I've tried every solution under the sun and the best non-BES solution I've come up with is this.

If you need BIS to sync with your Google Apps email account, you need to talk to your provider and get a case number to call RIM. RIM will then set your domain up as a GMail domain. Chances are, your provider won't know what you're talking about, so you'll need to go through all the basic troubleshooting before they finally give up and refer you to RIM. Just be persistent. I guess you might be able to call RIM directly if you're willing to pay the per-incident cost, but I went via Cingular support.

Once RIM have flagged your domain as a Google Apps account, any future BIS accounts set up using an email in that domain will be immediately recognized as Gmail accounts. You then enjoy the push features available to free Gmail account holders.

Add the GMail BB app to the mix and you also have a full historical archive of all your mail on your BB.

There are still a few limitations with all Gmail accounts, apps or free:
  1. No read/unread syncing
  2. Deleting from Gmail web interface does not delete from handheld. (It does sync going the other way though)

For the calendar, I use GooSync Home Page This solution currently syncs OTA with Google Calendar and support for tasks and contacts is on the radar. You'll need the paid version to get all features including shared calendars, multiple calendars and meeting attendees.

Last edited by queritor; 07-03-2007 at 07:27 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by queritor View Post
I've tried every solution under the sun and the best non-BES solution I've come up with is this.

If you need BIS to sync with your Google Apps email account, you need to talk to your provider and get a case number to call RIM. RIM will then set your domain up as a GMail domain. Chances are, your provider won't know what you're talking about, so you'll need to go through all the basic troubleshooting before they finally give up and refer you to RIM. Just be persistent. I guess you might be able to call RIM directly if you're willing to pay the per-incident cost, but I went via Cingular support.

Any future BIS accounts you set up for that domain will be immediately recognized as Gmail accounts. If you're willing to pay the incident cost, you may be able to talk to RIM directly.

Gmail - Syncs with the following exceptions
No read/unread syncing
Deleting from Gmail web interface does not delete from handheld.

Add the GMail BB app to the mix and you also have a full historical archive of all your mail on your BB.

For the calendar, I use GooSync Home Page - Currently syncs OTA with Google Calendar, soon to support tasks and contacts. You'll need the paid version to get all features.

what is wrong with the free version? where does the free version fall short?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

More info.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...c-goosync.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...4-goosync.html
Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
livejamie

Model: n/a
Carrier: AT&T

i don't even own a blackberry but i registered on this forum just to say thank you so so so much, this fixed all of our problems here at work.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
dcboy78

Carrier: Rogers

This is great news and good information to know. Since I only use one Google Apps for my Domain account with my BlackBerry, forwarding all e-mails to my .blackberry.net address seems to work well enough for now.

But should I want true Gmail push e-mail directly with my Apps account, I'll pursue this route.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
jaykay

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2

Another way to get around the 15 min delay with google aps is to simply forward to your blackberry email address and then change the reply address to match your google aps account. This seems to work well and saves a lot of hassle on the phone with cingular. If needed you can BCC yourself from your blackberry account when replying and have your google aps account filter these emails into your sent folder. It just depends how your are in wanting to keep copies of everything.

James
Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
mwny

Carrier: at&t
Default subscribing table

Great info here. Just set this up myself for my domain running google apps.

FYI

The terminology to use when asking RIM Expert Support to make the change is:
"Change the subscribing table for my-domain.com to gmail.com"
Closed Thread