BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
CurveDependant

Model: 8320T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry Help! Fourth replacement blackberry, same random shut-off problem!

Please Login to Remove!

So it has come to this... I been lurking around these forums for about two weeks looking for a solution, and I don't know what else to try, so I'm hoping this community can help me with my problem.

Essentially, I am experiencing the "random shut off" issue. I have now experienced this across four Curves. The phone shuts itself off and requires a battery pull, and usually a plugging in to a power supply to make it through the reboot. The problem is most likely to occur when on a phone call, or taxing the data service (for example, using Google maps). I have tried the following, with no success:

1. Exchanging in store for another used battery.

2. Installing latest software (4.5.0.81). My original phone was still running 3.5, upgrading did not solve the problem.

3. Replacing phone with T-mobile. Did not solve problem.

4. Buying new battery. Did not solve problem.

5. Replacing phone again (maybe they are sending defective refurbs). Did not solve problem.

6. Replacing sim card. Did not solve problem.

7. Removing memory card. Did not solve problem.

8. Disabling wi-fi and bluetooth. Unacceptable for day to day use, but did not solve problem anyway.

9. Wiping blackberry, reinstalling from scratch using ONLY .csv versions of my address book and calendar to carry over critical data. Did not solve problem.

10. Replacing phone again. (Lighting strikes 3x?). This time, I did NOT connect to my computer, put in memory card, and used only mytmobile to activate e-mail (two e-mail address, both through gmail). With g-chat running and almost instantly as the e-mails registered, phone shut off. Did not solve problem.

11. Turned off data services (also an unacceptable state). Did not solve problem anyway.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm pretty technically saavy and can work with you (event logs, service books... etc.), but I'm out of new ideas!

Additional observations:

1. The phone appears to experience interference during calls before it shuts off (anywhere from 1-10 minutes into a call) akin to the sound a speaker makes with a blackberry near it.

2. None of he phones have ever shut off while connected to a power source, either USB or a wall. I've gotten through a 45 minute call this way (unconnected record is 12 mins).

T-Mobile Rant:
Despite the number of replacements they have sent, they refuse to send me a new, non-refurb, unit. Their argument is that they can also send me a "like new" phone. This would be fine, since new phones generally work. If the phone doesn't work, it is not "like new". When pressed they agreed to send me a new Curve for $100 and a one year contract. Somehow their failure turned into a sales pitch. I decided to let them keep sending refurbs until they get it right, but now they say that the best the can do is send me a different model... like a "T-mobile dash", instead of another rerfurb curve. Anyone else see the humor in that?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
roxxc

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Smile

i really dont know if this will help at all
but try to use an original blackberry charger,
if you are using a charger from a razor( even though it fits) it may break the phone
also.. if you are using an original blackberry charger, try to use a different one
and if those arent options
maybe its the power in the wall... try using another socket to charge your phone in....
hope that would help...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
CurveDependant

Thanks Roxxc -- I am using the original charger, both that and the USB cable, and have tried multiple outlets. The phone appears to be charging properly.

Still not there, but all suggestions are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxc View Post
i really dont know if this will help at all
but try to use an original blackberry charger,
if you are using a charger from a razor( even though it fits) it may break the phone
also.. if you are using an original blackberry charger, try to use a different one
and if those arent options
maybe its the power in the wall... try using another socket to charge your phone in....
hope that would help...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
SH Customs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ASK, made the mistake putting PIN here before.
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

My 8330 also has been shutting down randomly... But it's only done it twice, got it over the weekend. But if it does it again, I will see see if I can exchange it...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
clevebb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint always

Wirelessly posted (World Edition that dont travel)

If the usb port is messed up from inserting the plug wrong it may short and reboot. Has this ever happened immediately after replacement or after a few charge cycles?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
CurveDependant

The last one happened about 2 minutes after taking it out of the box T-Mobile sent it in. It had not been plugged in to any chargers yet on my end. I should have included the wall-charger in number 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevebb View Post
Wirelessly posted (World Edition that dont travel)

If the usb port is messed up from inserting the plug wrong it may short and reboot. Has this ever happened immediately after replacement or after a few charge cycles?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ASU eliboM-T

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile BB 8320 OS 4.5.0.81)

I think that if you get a new Curve, you should first charge its battery fully. It is good for the battery itself and may help you. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

EDIT: are you on your original sim? Try a differint Tmo sim

Last edited by dynamicrockstar469; 12-16-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
CurveDependant

Second SIM, third battery (one new). At this point, if I get a new one and it works, it will just prove that T-Mobile is sending out defective replacements. I'd have to think long and hard about rewarding what essentially boils down to breach-of-warranty blackmail.

If it doesn't work, it will highlight a T-Mobile issue with the curve in general, (at least as pertains to my pushed profile) which is also not inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicrockstar469 View Post

I think that if you get a new Curve, you should first charge its battery fully. It is good for the battery itself and may help you. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

EDIT: are you on your original sim? Try a differint Tmo sim
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, ok. Well, consider returning the Curve, getting your money back, and re-purcasing the Curve (or waiting for the Jav). This will at least ensure that you will get a brand-new, out of the box Curve, not a refurb. Also, what apps do you have installed and how much free memory do you have under File Free: when you press Alt + Shift + H on your BB.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
CurveDependant

Well, I'm past the two week mark (11 months) on this one... I'll be out of contract by the end of the month though, so while I can't get my money back, I won't be tied to T-mobile unless I keep a new curve.

The only third party APPS I have (note, these were NOT installed on the BB during my first "shut off" on the latest unit) are Google Maps, Facebook (the link was pushed to my BB by T-Mobile) and the Opera browser. I have also deleted a number that I never use, like Yahoo Messenger and ICQ. Again, the first problems occurred before any modifications were made to the default software aside from registering the phone, changing the font to BBClarity size 7 bold and activating my e-mail accounts on this particular unit.

My free file number is: 17139516

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicrockstar469 View Post

Oh, ok. Well, consider returning the Curve, getting your money back, and re-purcasing the Curve (or waiting for the Jav). This will at least ensure that you will get a brand-new, out of the box Curve, not a refurb. Also, what apps do you have installed and how much free memory do you have under File Free: when you press Alt + Shift + H on your BB.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
CurveDependant

Bumping as problem still unresolved... hoping this brings me a fresh set of eyes.

Is there anywhere I should post for more technical advice?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
jebjab

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMOBILE

I had an early version of facebook or oper mini that made my pearl do the same thing.One of them also did it to my curve. Try updating or deleting facebook and opera mini and see if the helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
CurveDependant

Last hard reset happened only with factory presets and T-Mobile's pushed over the air products. This includes the facebook link (which T-Mobile adds when the phone is registered on the network), but not the app (which you have to download). No Opera at this time.

I have an operating suspicion that there is something incompatible in the service books that T-Mobile pushes to the device. I'd like to find a way to test that, but the service books are pushed automatically so I can't think of a way make calls without getting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjab View Post
I had an early version of facebook or oper mini that made my pearl do the same thing.One of them also did it to my curve. Try updating or deleting facebook and opera mini and see if the helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
pegb856
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint

You can manually delete service books from the device one at a time, but it would be a long and tedious process to isolate the problem this way. Also, if it's a service book issue TMo should be aware of it.

JMHO.

Happy Berrying!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Use JLCmdr and ResetToFactory. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
gymfly

Model: 8320
Carrier: t mobile

I have had the exact same problems with my 8320. T-Mobile tells me that there is no known issue (hmmmmmm?). This post confirms that I am not the only one. I too do not know what else to do.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Wrighteous

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have the same issue on my 8300, but I am on AT&T. I will check out the removal and/or upgrading on the Facebook and Opera apps to test that. Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer further insight!

Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Interesting issues. I see thus far only GSM users are reporting in as affected. I'm on CDMA (Sprint) and don't have these issues. Just wondering if any other CDMA users see this problem. I truly hope those that have it get it worked out. It must be terribly frustrating.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anybody tried my suggestion?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
bahurd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 8320 Random reset

My 8320 started to do this about 3 months ago. Pretty random and on all manner of calls; edge, gsm and uma...

Tried all the usual; new memory card, format, reload OS, all to no avail but mysteriously, the phone stopped rebooting for a while and all seemed well (in other words, I decided it could be lived with as it was happened maybe 1 or 2 times/week.)

Recently, over the past 2 weeks, it has become a major issue with the phone locking up (blank screen then either battery pull or plug into a power source) at least 4-5 times a day (always not plugged in by the way).

Finally, I went back and forth with TMobile and they just sent a refurbished unit as replacement.

In the process of reloading everything so can't say what the problem is/was or if it will keep on.

News at 11....
Closed Thread