BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
rainn

Model: 8700c
Default Displex Disaster!

Please Login to Remove!

Man...so much for my blasted nitpicking.

I had 2 very minor scratches that couldn't be seen when the screen was on. I decided to use displex (scratch remover) on my screen in order to remedy the situation. What developed was a 1 step forward 3 steps back scenario - I noticed a haze that came about which of course had to be removed. Then all of a sudden the haze started to lessen (the edge of it became less distinct), but broaden in circumference relative to the screen. Now what I've got is the Blackberrry logo, as well part of the black upper portion of the screen, missing!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhg!
(Thanks for the vent session guys and gals - really, really needed that)

Anyone want to sell their housing.....?
(I'm dead serious...check out the buy and sell forums, I'll trade mine plus $$$)
Old 04-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I cant understand what went wrong. I have used this product several times with no bad side effects whatsoever, as a matter of fact I would strongly encourage its use.

In the first place when i have used it I have polished the entire screen area not just in the one area where the problem persisted. I have polished it for a long period of time not just a few minutes so it is nice and smooth and all shiny evenly spread, otherwise if you just polish where the scratch area was you will wind up with wht you describe as a haze all around the area you polished, this is akin to taking a glass window and cleaning the center of it with Windex and leaving the rest of it dirty.

And as far as the housing is concerned, all I can say is I never polished the housing, the application clearly states the screen area.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

That sounds like the problem.

Did you polish the area that's black (where the logo is)? That would explain why it got remvoed as the polish isn't meant to go there.

I know this doesn't make you feel any better. Sorry it happened.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
rainn

Well I did just that - polish the screen area evenly for a prolonged period. I even even tried to offset the haze (when it started to form, I used it as an indicator for what would require more polishing). I did not use it on the housing. My mistake was allowing my work to include the whole surface area of the what I considered the screen (obviously not the bb logo in retrospect). When I purchased this item, my due diligence suggested that it does not work in all cases and in fact some prior outcomes (purchased from a large quantity seller on eBay who made this known upfront) would not be satisfactory. Ah well...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

So, could this product be used safely to remove the Cingular logo?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
rainn

lol....
Don't know about that. So far it's still entact in its entirety. The bb logo however is a different story.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
hamerad

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Displex Sucks

I had the same problem, It just screwed things up worse than what they were. DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
Shineshop

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

I might be able to help here as I have significant experience in polishing plastic and paint. I would suggest first cleaning the screen with a clean microfiber towel and some mild cleaner (windex would probably be best as the ammonia or alcohol will remove any waxes/glazes/silicone from the screen so you can see exactly where you are starting). Next you want to start with the most mild polish you can find and lightly polish the screen with another clean microfiber towel. It is important to always start with the LEAST abrasive polish possible - you can always polish it again if it isn't abrasive enough. Using a more aggressive polish off the bat will more than likely lead to more polishing later. A high quality automotive wax might just do the trick for you here. Rub some of the wax after vigorous shaking to mix between your fingers and check the level of abrasive and if it is really fine it should work just fine for this use.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
JiGGa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shineshop
I might be able to help here as I have significant experience in polishing plastic and paint. I would suggest first cleaning the screen with a clean microfiber towel and some mild cleaner (windex would probably be best as the ammonia or alcohol will remove any waxes/glazes/silicone from the screen so you can see exactly where you are starting). Next you want to start with the most mild polish you can find and lightly polish the screen with another clean microfiber towel. It is important to always start with the LEAST abrasive polish possible - you can always polish it again if it isn't abrasive enough. Using a more aggressive polish off the bat will more than likely lead to more polishing later. A high quality automotive wax might just do the trick for you here. Rub some of the wax after vigorous shaking to mix between your fingers and check the level of abrasive and if it is really fine it should work just fine for this use.
So would Displex be considered a lesser abrasive polish? I was just about to order some for my 7105t when I decided to check here first.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: rogers

I found this picture off ebay, someone was trying to sell there Displex disaster. So it seems like this has happened before.
Here is a link to the auction
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21_1_b.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2718  

Last edited by aawong; 04-14-2006 at 08:15 PM..
Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

oh man! it not only tok off the logo, it pulled off the entire area- black, logo, etc all in!

ugh. beware.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
JiGGa

I'll avoid the "BlackBerry" and black background area I suppose unless anyone can give me a reason why not to use Displex?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
tfaz1

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiGGa
I'll avoid the "BlackBerry" and black background area I suppose unless anyone can give me a reason why not to use Displex?
Just the name sounds like it hurts. Displex. I'm not letting that stuff near my BlackBerry. Of course, you could always Displex your eyeballs. That way you won't notice the scratches.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 AM   #14
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Ouch
Old 04-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #15
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Carrier: Cingular

From the looks of the picture, it didn't even remove the swirl marks on the main screen.

Gecko feels for ya bud. Good luck
Old 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

if this prouct works, maybe masking off the areas on the fringe of the "screen" would be a good idea before using this. If the product works and it's a matter of avoidingother areas, that shouldn't be too tough using some clear packing tape, scotch tape, etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
JiGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
if this prouct works, maybe masking off the areas on the fringe of the "screen" would be a good idea before using this. If the product works and it's a matter of avoidingother areas, that shouldn't be too tough using some clear packing tape, scotch tape, etc.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Glad people are responding to this.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiGGa
I have used several times and it works great if: you follow the instructions, if you are very careful and if you confine it to the screen alone.

Now a tip, take your BB apart and do it whith the case off particulary if you are doing it on an 8700 since the screen is not recessed making it harder to control to just the screen. I had a long scratch on my screen and it took three diferent tries to remove it altogether but it worked fine. I used it sparingly like the directions said, and only with the cloth supplied nothing else will do. It takes a lot of buffing, most people tire and do not complete the process and that is another reason it will not work. Use a circular motion and work all the screen not just the affected area to get an even smooth application.

I am not encouraging anyone to try this specially if you have to take it apart, just stating what I did and how Idid it to ge t the results I did. I read about this from a moderatr here in one of his posts ordered it and the rest is history.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

I have used Displex many times without any problems. One thing that I do is use scotch tape like painters use masking tape. I cover the part that I do not want affected. I'm still very careful but the tape is a great "safety net"
Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #20
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shineshop
I agree with this posting. For years I have used a very mild automotive polish on my cell phones, and blackberrys. Helps protect the unit and removes minor scratches from the screen. And I use it not only use it just on the screen, but on the entire housing. Keeps them looking clean and shiney and even helps repel small amounts of water, since the water would bead up.
Closed Thread