Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus
Default screen burn in, with the bedside mode

Please Login to Remove!

its a good idea, to not have the flashed led light at night.
but it looks like the perfect recipe for screen burn in. brings me back to my nokia 8800 days where the standby date/time never moved and finally burnt into the screen.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
but it looks like the perfect recipe for screen burn in. brings me back to my nokia 8800 days where the standby date/time never moved and finally burnt into the screen.
I thought you couldn't get burn in from an LCD display?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
muck

Wirelessly posted

I'm not sure to be honest.
I guess replacement lcd's aren't that expensive, maybe see what happens lol
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
DJBoozy

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

Quote:

I've had blackberrys for years, and have never had a problem with the flashing LED.

The Screen however, if its LCD, it *Shouldnt* burn it. - why would RIM add that function, if users were to keep calling them, complaining of screen burn?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 4.6.0.62)

I've carried many different bbs and I have never had screen burn in.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Maybe I am missing something here but how would the flashing LED cause the screen to burn in. My LED flashes all night on my Curve but the LCD screen is off unless there is a call or I push a button.

Count down to BOLD arrival for me! The FedEx truck to be here Tuesday!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
muck

not the led burning in.. hehe..

the actual clock that displays in the bedside mode, the display stays on whilest its in this mode.
so the 8 hours that im asleep, the display will be showing the clock. its a long time to have the image on the screen.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Maybe I am missing something here but how would the flashing LED cause the screen to burn in. My LED flashes all night on my Curve but the LCD screen is off unless there is a call or I push a button.

Count down to BOLD arrival for me! The FedEx truck to be here Tuesday!
I hope you enjoy it Gregg. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts too. I like, but it's not a noticeable improvement over the Curve except for the better screen.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange

BlackBerry's use LCD's. The term burn-in refers to the degradation of phosphors and does not apply to DLPs or LCDs. The burn-in of phosphors applies only to Plasmas and CRTs and any other similar phosphor-based display. Having said all that, I'm not sure the backlight technology that is used in the BB. If it's the old CCFT (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Tube) then we will see diminished display life, but if its LED we're set. LED will also help battery life. Can someone tell me if there is an inverter board in the BB to drive a CCFT?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
not the led burning in.. hehe..

the actual clock that displays in the bedside mode, the display stays on whilest its in this mode.
so the 8 hours that im asleep, the display will be showing the clock. its a long time to have the image on the screen.
Good grief! Sounds like I have got alot to learn about this new Blackberry device. Please let my Bold get here on Tuesday!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
I hope you enjoy it Gregg. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts too. I like, but it's not a noticeable improvement over the Curve except for the better screen.
I am not expecting it to be earth shattering but am looking forward to the keyboard and screen. Getting 4.5 for my Curve spoiled me and I love the voice recorder and a few other options. Mainly I want a good internal speaker with decent volume and a good external speaker with decent volume. 3G is niot thrilling me and if I find it hrts the battery, I will turn it off and it will not get my calls or emails any quicker.

I am just a technology whore and enjoy the new stuff!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
foner

Model: 9700
PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I will turn it off and it will not get my calls or emails any quicker.
No. But you will get them simultaneously!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foner View Post
No. But you will get them simultaneously!
OH NO Mr. Bill!

So now I can talk to someone on the speaker phone while emailing another!

I hope this does not interfere with my driving!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed

Screen burn in is only found on Plasma and CRT displays, LCD's and any other form of display that uses diodes or crystals as opposed to a cathode and a phosphor coated screen do not get any screen burn in of ANY kind. Simply not possible, the only thing possible is that the life of the actual lcd screen can be cut short because the lcd remains constantly on, and the led's used for the backlight have a lifespan of 50-100,000 hours. Either way.. at 50,000 hours.. .the backlight will last 5.7 years of being constantly on before it would give out.

So in short... you have NOTHING to worry about.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A

I used to believe that theory but I will gladly sell you my 3 yr old Dell 21" LCD display that has a beautiful image of the Windows XP task bar and the background outlines of the Windows Desktop permanently embossed.

That being said, my BB Curve is used every night as an LCD clock and has no burn-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
Screen burn in is only found on Plasma and CRT displays, LCD's and any other form of display that uses diodes or crystals as opposed to a cathode and a phosphor coated screen do not get any screen burn in of ANY kind. Simply not possible, the only thing possible is that the life of the actual lcd screen can be cut short because the lcd remains constantly on, and the led's used for the backlight have a lifespan of 50-100,000 hours. Either way.. at 50,000 hours.. .the backlight will last 5.7 years of being constantly on before it would give out.

So in short... you have NOTHING to worry about.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
led's used for the backlight have a lifespan of 50-100,000 hours. Either way.. at 50,000 hours.. .the backlight will last 5.7 years of being constantly on before it would give out.
Most LED's fade away rather than suddenly giving out. LED's of the typical intensity now used in cellphone backlighting, will potentially last well over 100,000 hours, but at diminished intensity.

LED's driven at dim levels in a bedroom at 10% backlight intensity, will probably last 500,000 - 1,000,000 hours or more, since the Bold uses PWM-driven backlighting. (pulse width modulation), which means for dim backlight at 10%, it's 90% off and 10% on. PWM used for LED dimming, typically greatly prolongs LED life... Under-driven white LED's have amazingly long life.

The hours of lifetime you see quoted for LED's are typically at their full rated power. This is true if your Bold was outdoors in the sun, not at bedside -- at that bedside mode intensity, it would probably last 50 years running 24/7.

Power LED's that generate lots of heat, such as 1-watt, 3-watt or 5-watt Luxeon's or Cree's, does have very significantly shortened lives if not properly cooled...

As for LCD burn-in (yes it exists, but reversible) (Apple LCD monitor burn in), LCD's normally do not burn in but the crystals have a reversible memory effect in some cheap LCD's. A few crystals get stuck sometimes when they're displaying the same image for a long time, then the image changes, but they eventually unstick themselves. Often, it takes a few hours to completely erase a LCD burn in some cheap LCD displays. However, cellphone displays, are normally immune to this effect, especially when driven properly with proper inversion. A few exceptions exist (like the Nokia display) but they are exception to the rule. LCD can be made immune to the burn-in effect though -- old BlackBerries (i.e. 7280) have displayed the clock for YEARs as their screens do not turn off, but the backlight does -- and there is no burn-in on these old BlackBerries.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 08-25-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #17
muck

awesome information guys. i look forward to getting some bedside mode action happening
Closed Thread