Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Crockett

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default 8310 GPS question

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched the forum and FAQ's to find the answer to my question but still need help.

Moderator John Clark on 08-02-2007 said "the Curve has no GPS but has a program called TeleNav". Then yesterday he said it "DOES have real GPS (has a receiver in it that picks up satellite signal to pinpoint location".

I assume John found that the 8310 Curve actually does have a GPS receiver.

1 - That answers my first question -- does the 8310 have a real GPS receiver which gives co-ordinates from satellites or does it give co-ordinates based on cell towers?

2 - My second question is -- could a person who has become lost, be found -- based on the GPS technology of the 8310?

I'm no longer a spring chicken (I'm retired) and I love to explore the far reaches of the SE Oregon desert. I've decided that since the GPS costs extra to use that I'd gladly pay for it, if it could also be relied upon as a safety device to find me -- if needed.

Thanks,
Crockett
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

I'm taking a bit of a guess as this as I don't really think I'm qualified to answer but I believe I'm right here.

1) Yes indeed 8310 does; real GPS
2) No, because the GPS is receive only; it doesn't publish its info back to a satellite. If you had carrier level data coverage than yes you could be located.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The 8300 has no GPS.
The 8320 has no GPS
The 8310 does have GPS.

None of these are available on Verizon. The Verizon BB's don't allow use of the GPS to any other application except their Verizon Navigator software.

If you are lost and you have cell coverage, then yes, the GPS and cell triangulation could be used to locate you. There is also a 3rd party application for the BB that lets your GPS location be sent to a server where you can allow others to track your location.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
hokie123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I'm no longer a spring chicken (I'm retired) and I love to explore the far reaches of the SE Oregon desert. I've decided that since the GPS costs extra to use that I'd gladly pay for it, if it could also be relied upon as a safety device to find me -- if needed.

Thanks,
Crockett
For the scenario you stated (device to be relied upon as a safety device to locate you in the desert), I would suggest you check with others that venture out in that area, and find out what types of locator devices they carry.

The 8310 technically could be used to locate you (as John mentioned), but that assumes that you have cell coverage as well as a connection to the GPS satellites. Though the GPS is nice to have in the Curve, I have experienced times where it cannot obtain a signal (which means it cannot calculate your current position).

I love my Curve, but would not use it as my lifesaver!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Tangocore
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

dont forget that you need cell phone network coverage to see the download on the spot map. The gps alone will only gives you a numeric location.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
DW30
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Swisscom

I believe BlackberryTracker (software) can accomplish what you're looking for, however, I'm relatively new to BB so you'll have to check it out yourself.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #7
Crockett

Carrier: ATT

Thank you all for the replies --

The places I go to do not have cell towers. I'd be relying on satellite GPS only. I've looked into "Personal Locator Beacons" but they're pretty expensive. That's why I'm asking about the 8310!

John - you said: "There is also a 3rd party application for the BB that lets your GPS location be sent to a server where you can allow others to track your location."

What 3rd party application might that be?

Crockett
Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
DW30

Carrier: Swisscom

.. BlackberryTracker
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
jgibb

Model: 8330
PIN: 319EBD2F
Carrier: Verizon

Regardless on tower coverage our not it will still give your cordinance if you go into advanced options.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
yparlor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: At&T

The GPS on the curve is pretty reliable, although again I wouldn't count on it being a lifesaver. BBtracker is a good program and there are others out there that will turn your Curve into a compass, in case you get lost out on the trail.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
The places I go to do not have cell towers. I'd be relying on satellite GPS only.
Quote:
John - you said: "There is also a 3rd party application for the BB that lets your GPS location be sent to a server where you can allow others to track your location."
Based on your first quote above it's a moot point. The 8310 would need data coverage (i.e. a cell tower with data services) for an app to send your location data to a server.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Lew2

Model: 8100

Quote:
The places I go to do not have cell towers. I'd be relying on satellite GPS only. I've looked into "Personal Locator Beacons" but they're pretty expensive.
A GPS receiver (whether standalone or phone based) and a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) really serve two completely different purposes.

Seems like you need to determine your specific needs/goals a bit better.

A GPS will just tell you where you are, which is fine if you're lost, but it won't do a thing about getting help if you're injured in the backcountry. On the other hand, a PLB is able to send out (via satellite) a coded signal to emergency services that identifies the unique PLB. They know whose PLB was activated and can triangulate to where it is, and some models have an internal GPS and will transmit GPS coordinates to the rescuers.
Closed Thread