Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Patarix

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default International Calls from Address book: PROBLEM

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!!

This is my first post here... I'm Alessandro, from Panama (Republic of Panama) and I stitched from Treo 680 to a Blackberry 8320 just 2 weeks ago. I'm loving my blackberry!!

However, I'm experiencing a little problem when dialing from my address book... Non-mobile phone numbers in Italy, all begin with a 0 (zero). And that's of course the way I have memorized all of my numbers, of course... Today I tried dailing for the first time to numbers in Italy, and magically I always ended up with the same answer from a recorder: "The number does not exist!"

After trying to figure out the reason, I discovered the following: say that you have a phone memorized as +39 0575 300210, when you recall and dial that number from the address book, the first 0 (zero) after the country code, gets automaticly eliminated! The telephone just dials as +39 575 300210, and that of course results in an non existent number...

This happens also when dialing manually, the first 0 after the country code just gets cut out.

I then tried switching the country code to 0039, (dialed as 0039 0575 300210), and this time the call did go through... Is there a solution to the problem or do I really need to change all of my Italian contacts (over 400...)?? Is there some setting I should change in order to avoid such problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Saludos,
Alessandro
Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

phone application > options > smart dialing make sure it is set properly with national number length country code and area code. welcome to the forums
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Patarix

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
phone application > options > smart dialing make sure it is set properly with national number length country code and area code. welcome to the forums
Hi Sith,

I looked in to that, but for some strange reason the "Smart Dialing" option does not appear in the options menu. Any idea on how I can install such application? My phone is stock, just as I opened from the boxs (no outside applications installed)

Saludos,
Alessandro
Old 05-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Swisscom

This is rather strange.

The European standard for national telephone numbers is to begin with a 0.

When you dial internationally you prefix the number with the international prefix '00' and the country code. In the case of mobile phones the 00 has been replaced with a + to allow different worldwide countries to have international prefix codes other than 00.

When you dial a national number within Switzerland or the UK, you dial (for Geneva, Switzerland) 022 xxx xxxx. In the UK you would call 0208 xxx xxxx.

Dialing internationally fom Switzerland to the UK I would dial 0044 208 xxx xxxx. From a mobile phone this would become +44 208 xxx xxxx.

The leading zero is dropped from the national code and is replaced with the international prefix and the country code. Thus 0208 becomes +44 208. Many people write their phone number as +41 (0)22 xxx xxxx

A few years ago the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) issued a reccomendatiion that asked all counties to allow full international dialling strings to be allowed for dialling nationa numbers. So now I may dial my wife's office number using the same Address Book entry of +41 22 xxx xxxx from Switzerland or anywhere else in the world that I am allowed to dial internationlly.

The Blackberry knows this and is deleting the leading national zero when it sees the international mobile prefix '+'.

It would appear that Italy (or your carrier) has not fully implemented the ITU's reccomendation.

I suggest that you call your carrier and ask them what to do. Tell them that you use your phone in Italy and when travelling and see what they say.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Baltazar

Hello!
I have the same problem with "+". In my office applications database we use numbers 0039040xxxxxxxxx, and with sync. I have the same number in my BB. If you call Italy this number becomes +3940xxxxxxxxx as you see number "0" is gone. 040 is City code. So you have to copy the number in address book and past it.
How to resolve the problem?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
frovelli

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Patarix:

I have the same problem when dialing from the U.S. to italy, it automatically drops the 0 after the 39 country code, although it is necessary for italian calls to go through. The older pearl software cdid not have this issue, so if you have a pearl you could go back...
but now both my curve and newer pearl have it...
by the way, i tried with smart dialing to change the country code to 39, and it still drops the 0 in my case...

if somebody has a solution...
thanks
felix
Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
wizardsknob

Model: 8100
Carrier: Orange
Smile

The only real fix is via Smart Dialling (as metioned perviously - Call log>Menu>Options>Smart Dialing>Country Code), but to set the Country Code to "Unknown". This will prevent the hset removing the zero from the number being Called. If you do not have the smart dialling option then I would suggest backing up the user data on your device and carrying out a reset. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
iLukeBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: /dev/null
Carrier: SiMOBIL

i have set national number length to 8 and it works great! i live in EU Slovenia. We have +386 country code.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Deryck_gaffney

Carrier: Vodaphone
Default Calling Italy From your phone book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarix View Post
Hello!!

This is my first post here... I'm Alessandro, from Panama (Republic of Panama) and I stitched from Treo 680 to a Blackberry 8320 just 2 weeks ago. I'm loving my blackberry!!

However, I'm experiencing a little problem when dialing from my address book... Non-mobile phone numbers in Italy, all begin with a 0 (zero). And that's of course the way I have memorized all of my numbers, of course... Today I tried dailing for the first time to numbers in Italy, and magically I always ended up with the same answer from a recorder: "The number does not exist!"

After trying to figure out the reason, I discovered the following: say that you have a phone memorized as +39 0575 300210, when you recall and dial that number from the address book, the first 0 (zero) after the country code, gets automaticly eliminated! The telephone just dials as +39 575 300210, and that of course results in an non existent number...

This happens also when dialing manually, the first 0 after the country code just gets cut out.

I then tried switching the country code to 0039, (dialed as 0039 0575 300210), and this time the call did go through... Is there a solution to the problem or do I really need to change all of my Italian contacts (over 400...)?? Is there some setting I should change in order to avoid such problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Saludos,
Alessandro
Hi I had the same problem, the only way I could solve it was to enter
003900******* this solved the problem as it droped one of the 0 automaticly.

Hope this helps

Deryck
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Deryck_gaffney

Carrier: Vodaphone

Hi I had the same problem, the only way I could solve it was to enter
003900******* this solved the problem as it droped one of the 0 automaticly.

Hope this helps

Deryck
Closed Thread