Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Problem with MDS/CS after knife edge cutover

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new BES up and running after a knife edge cutover. Exchange sync is working fine now, but web browsing is not. If I look in Blackberry Manager, under the new BES server, ServerConfiguration->EditProperties->MSDServices, I see two entries:

- Blackberry MDS Services Server URL
- MDS Connection Service Server URL

The second one, I believe, is what points to my MDS connection service (uesd for web browsing), and that entry lists my old BES server name. And it's grey-ed out, so I don't see how I can change that entry.

Any thoughts on how to get my server pointing to the new BES server's MDS connection service?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

A few more notes here ...

In BlackBerry Manager, I see the MDS_CS server listed as:

<old_server_hostname>_MDS-CS_1

However, in the ImagePath registry entry (i.e. the service startup command), I see:

[...] webserver\\" -rbes "<new_server_hostname>_MDS-CS_1"

So something is disconnected here. The MDS Connection Service will not start up and stay up. The most applicable log entry I can find looks like:

[30000] (05/30 09:28:43.143):{0x1590} Bad hResult 0x8004F001, at MDSAGConnectionService.cpp line 145, from AG call addConnectionService, source - MDSAGAdminMgmt, error - URL=<old_server_hostname>:8080net.rim.wica.ag.application.admin.ws.InvalidI nputFault<new_server_hostname>
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

The MDS CS service uses the machine name as it's name. So, when you do a knofe edge cutover you're supposed to move the DB first, then install the BES. That way you get the right MDS CS name. Seeing as you don't have the new machine name I can assume that you restored the DB after the BES install. Essentially you need to reinstall your BES to fix this.

Best and quickest solution to this issue.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
The MDS CS service uses the machine name as it's name. So, when you do a knofe edge cutover you're supposed to move the DB first, then install the BES. That way you get the right MDS CS name. Seeing as you don't have the new machine name I can assume that you restored the DB after the BES install. Essentially you need to reinstall your BES to fix this.

Best and quickest solution to this issue.
Hmmm ... I had another thread going where I was advised that I could do the install, and then do the DB restore afterwards. I guess that caused my problem. Ah well.

Can I just re-install SP4? Or do I need to do a full re-install?

Also, is it possible to go into MSDE's database and fix this? It looks like the MDS info is stored in the "MDSConfig" table. Is it as simple as fixing the entries in that table? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

I would do a full uninstall/reinstall. I would also avoid editing the DB manually, bad things can happen. Usually the MDSCOnfig table is edited manually to remove unwanted MDS CS services.

I would do a complete uninstall and reinstall, it's not that much longer then an SP install anyways.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
I would do a full uninstall/reinstall. I would also avoid editing the DB manually, bad things can happen. Usually the MDSCOnfig table is edited manually to remove unwanted MDS CS services.

I would do a complete uninstall and reinstall, it's not that much longer then an SP install anyways.

Let us know how it goes.
Well, I figured if my fallback was to do a full uninstall/re-install, what do I have to lose? I stopped all services, went in and edited the MDSConfig table in MSDE, and fixed the entries as follows:

MachineName = <old_server_hostname> -> <new_server_hostname>
ServerName = <old>_MDS-CS_1 -> <new>_MDS-CS_1
MDSHost was already set to the FQDN of <new_server>

... rebooted and ... it seems to work! BlackBerry Manager now shows the correct MDS/CD hostname, and I can browse from the device. Woo-Hoo! That wasn't too painful...

Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread