BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks for the reply. Is it still just text that gets rendered?

Odd that significant changes are not mentioned anywhere...this would seem like a big deal, especially if someone is looking at Repligo or other 3rd party apps.

sorry to hijack the SP3 thread, but we have a few users who hate the text-only PDF rendering on the BES, and wonder why PowerPoints look so nice....
Old 02-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I've never done a service pack, as our server started from 4.1.2. Are their any special instructions to instal SP3, or just run the executable and go for broke?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #23
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoUp
I've never done a service pack, as our server started from 4.1.2. Are their any special instructions to instal SP3, or just run the executable and go for broke?
You may want to go through the backup process, but it was pretty smooth for my environment. I didn't worry about backing anything up (as usual).
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #24
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1877
I upgraded my 4.1.2 HF3 for Domino to 4.1.3 this morning in about 15 minutes. Very smooth, except the installation did hang on the first attempt. I just brought this BES up a week ago and only have 10 users (out of almost 400) on it so far. Will monitor for issues...
After adding my account to it, I ran the SP on our test BES whose remote DB structure mirrors our production box's. Except for running into the same hang issue on the first upgrade attempt, terminating and rerunning the installation ran smoothly in about 15 minutes or so.

I wonder how many other folks are running into the initial "hang" issue on the first upgrade attempt and what causes it?

Still, it was well worth the minor trouble. Like most folks, getting back the right-click options has made me fall in love again, and the PDF attachment rendering is the best yet.

Since it appears that having this SP on our production BES will allow me to skip the DST patch push to user devices, I'm one happy camper with SP3.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #25
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

I didn't experience any hang at all. Smooth install.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #26
doni
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Going to be performing an in-place upgrade from 4.1.1, the first upgrade I've done since 3.6.x -> 4.1.1. Question: Will handhelds need to be reactivated wirelessly? Will they be sent a new service book? Or will this upgrade be completely transparent? (The upgrade guide discusses 4.0 -> 4.1.3, doesn't discuss upgrading from 4.1.x.) Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #27
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by abakcuh
Thanks...Just completed a nightmare of an upgrade to my environment. Upgraded from 4.0.5 to 4.1.1 with zero problems...Upgraded to SP3 and the wheels fell off. Imediately after installing the upgrade it wanted to upgrade the db. I received the great useless message of "db upgrade failed: error executing an sql statement" Spoke with RIM last night at midnight and am told that I can create a new database to complete the install of the SP and switch afterwards to my database. If they tell you this run..I was on the phone for 4 hours with RIM before getting this resolved. I had to uninstall everything. Then had to install 4.1.2 on the servers only to have the same error occur. I next received a sql script from RIM that will remove extra tables and repair the database. This had to be run about three times as well as reducing the log file and setting the db to the grow to max size. (Current db is 500mb) This followed by manually upgrading the database using Createdb.exe before setup would continue. I am up and running now on SP2 HF3. I might eventually go to SP3 but am a little gun shy at the momment
We had the same issue as you (db upgrade failed), when we installed SP2 to the 4.1 server. Since the company's tsupport is only business hours, we had to wait until then to get the script from RIM for fixing the SQL db.
Luckily they didn't lead us down the 'create new db' path.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Does anyone have a understanding of what the DST table is in SP3, does this SP need to be install prior to March 11th or is it for newer devices only that do not need to DST update?

Not really looking to introduce new versions of BES in the middle of all this DST maddness .. but I'm dying to have RIGHT CLICK back!!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #29
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Done it twice now on both of my BES's, worked like a treat going from 4.1.2 to 4.1.3, no hesitation in the installation process. Timed it just now and it took exactly 30 minutes from start to finish, excluding time to generate the backups.

The enhanced PDF viewing is a serious improvement on 4.1.2, almost worth the upgrade on its own. Playback of mp3 file attachments works ok, but is a bit slow to download (if say encoded at >160kb or higher) and the quality as a file attachment is less than say if loaded directly onto the device. Still should be good enough for vmail messages and I know a few clients that will jump to 4.1.3 for this alone...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #30
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

When zooming in on a PDF, has anyone found out how to move the image around - i.e. if the data you want is on the right hand side of the screen, if you zoom in it can disappear - how do I scroll right to get that bit back?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #31
centrekin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

With 4.1.3 having support for new DST changes in 2007 does that mean we no longer have to push updates to the devices?

Last edited by centrekin; 02-22-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #32
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrekin
With 4.1.3 having support for new DST changes in 2007 does that mean we no longer have to push updates to the devices?

According to the documentation, this only works with devices that have 4.2 and higher software. I wasn't aware that is even available yet (definitely not on T-Mobile and Sprint).
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #33
centrekin
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, when will 4.2 be available for all devices? Or will it?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #34
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrekin
If you install 4.1.3, you don't have to create and push the DST patch software configuration package. I verified with TSupport what, if any, the difference in push mechanisms is between the software configuration patch and what 4.1.3 does.

Apparently outside of negating the need to create and push the DST software configuration package, 4.1.3 pretty much behaves the same way on the user side:

"The BlackBerry Enterprise Server will take about 24 hours for all updates to complete. A device reboot may be required depending on the handheld and software versions. User's handhelds will prompt on the handheld if a reboot is required."
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #35
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
When zooming in on a PDF, has anyone found out how to move the image around - i.e. if the data you want is on the right hand side of the screen, if you zoom in it can disappear - how do I scroll right to get that bit back?
On my 7130:
Scroll wheel to get up/down. Press 4/6 to move left/right.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #36
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin
If you install 4.1.3, you don't have to create and push the DST patch software configuration package. I verified with TSupport what, if any, the difference in push mechanisms is between the software configuration patch and what 4.1.3 does.

Apparently outside of negating the need to create and push the DST software configuration package, 4.1.3 pretty much behaves the same way on the user side:
Absolutely agree! It's a major thing that's needs to be highlighted.
See Release notes for 4.1.3. BES, page 4.
Livelink - Redirection
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #37
fletch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie
Absolutely agree! It's a major thing that's needs to be highlighted.
See Release notes for 4.1.3. BES, page 4.
Livelink - Redirection
Reading the notes, it looks like this handles devices that are at version 4.2, but not below. So even with the latest fixpack, I think you still need to push the DST patch down to the pre 4.2 devices (which is just about everyone in my environment). Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #38
centrekin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch
Reading the notes, it looks like this handles devices that are at version 4.2, but not below. So even with the latest fixpack, I think you still need to push the DST patch down to the pre 4.2 devices (which is just about everyone in my environment). Can anyone confirm?
I agrree.. My whole environment is 4.1, I do not have any 4.2 devices on our BES domain. Also, the release notes state that the DST Fixes in 4.1.3 are only for devices with 4.2
Old 02-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #39
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Yes, unless your handhelds are running 4.2, you will still need to do the configuration and push method.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #40
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch
Could you please provide the quote in the release notes that says the DST patch included w/ BES 4.1.3 is only for 4.2 devices?

I've gone through those notes and the only mention I see for 4.2 is in relation to the MP3 attachments.

There's no mention of that in the DST section nor did TSupport mention to me any OS limitation for the DST patch. In fact, I'd be surprised if any 4.2 device OS didn't already have the updated DST tables onboard. Thanks!
Closed Thread