bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward
Thanks to mrc7928 for reporting this info that RIM gave him:

Simply select all your users with the DST Patch software config applied and choose "Clear PIM Sync Backup Data" from the Service Control & Customization area. This will clear and resync the server side db's with the device, one of which I assume holds the latest result from the device's DST patcher application.

This works on Groupwise and on my Domino system so no reason it would not also work on Exchange.

Thanks mrc7928, this information will save ALOT of admins ALOT of manual checking!

okay, this is great, i have a question, anyway to actually determine who you have applied the patch to, without having to search through your console.

gees, this take forever. I'm also having a problem with the dst query tool. I unable to connect to my database. does this mean I am using the incorrect credentials? Even though, my database is windows authenticated? Or do I have to allow another connection to my database? I'm lost.

please help. I can't run the query tool to verify the patch udpate? I'm not trusting the console..
Old 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey
I am curious, once you do this process and let it sit for a while, does anyone use the -invokesync on top of it? Will it reverse the effect or cause some havoc?
On top of what? We are talking about running with -invokesync once to kick the stats into touch. You can run it as many times as you like but it makes sense to only do it once a day at the most. Didn't do much for me but has helped lots of folks by the looks of it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #23
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgirl
okay, this is great, i have a question, anyway to actually determine who you have applied the patch to, without having to search through your console.
When you say "console", what do you mean? You will only see who has been patched by using DSTQuery or BoxTone DST Expert as the info is in the db. The manager and h/h config don't show the patch status, just the patch helper app status (more info here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgirl
gees, this take forever. I'm also having a problem with the dst query tool. I unable to connect to my database. does this mean I am using the incorrect credentials? Even though, my database is windows authenticated? Or do I have to allow another connection to my database? I'm lost.

please help. I can't run the query tool to verify the patch udpate? I'm not trusting the console..
Windows auth is fine, you shouldn't need to do anything other than be sure you are using good credentials. Can you post your string here for us. FYI, I use this:

dst2007query -n localhost -db BESMgmt -b all -ol \\fileshare\outputfile.txt

and it works fine. I run from my BES but you can run from anywhere which has access. The impact on the BES is zero so if you do it from there, you will know creds should be fine.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
chb12

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

This is what our handhelds say "Error installing DST patch." After check the error log, I noticed this error code 0x88 EVENT_ERROR_CONTACTING_WEBSITE_TRANSPORT. Could someone please shed some light on this for me. We followed the instructions to a T, but it still doesn't work. Do we need to change something in our Firewall?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #25
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb12
This is what our handhelds say "Error installing DST patch." After check the error log, I noticed this error code 0x88 EVENT_ERROR_CONTACTING_WEBSITE_TRANSPORT. Could someone please shed some light on this for me. We followed the instructions to a T, but it still doesn't work. Do we need to change something in our Firewall?
Are you happy that your BB users can hit web sites using the BlackBerry Browser? As long as they can, MDS sounds ok and you shouldn't need to do anything your end.

I remember others having similar issues, did you try a search of the error code on this forum?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #26
mrc7928
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

As an FYI, even using the clear pim backup data command from the BES, some of the handhelds are reporting incorrectly in the query. It's far less than prior to running the command though. I'm calling all users who don't say that the patch is applied to double check. I feel sorry for those who have thousands of users on their BES because I've been working off and on with this and out of 50 users, there are still about 5 that don't have the patch. Granted, some of them have not turned their device on in the past week, but I can't imagine trying to complete this process with 2000 users. Seems like RIM really dropped the ball on this one if you ask me. Hopefully the government is happy now with the daylight savings time parameters that they have set and don't decide to change it again in the next couple years.

Last edited by mrc7928; 03-07-2007 at 09:15 AM..
Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #27
Flying Dutchman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700t
Carrier: T-Mobile

I like to put a warning out here for clearing the PIM sync Data from the handheld manager. By doing this some users found that their filters disappeared. Anyone else seen this?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #28
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman
I like to put a warning out here for clearing the PIM sync Data from the handheld manager. By doing this some users found that their filters disappeared. Anyone else seen this?
Not seen it but I remember another poster had that happen but said it was down to the helper being applied (2.3 I think, although it _could_ have been the patch itself. Sorry, brain totally frazzled now).
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #29
only1eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-mobile

where is this on BES 4.02?

"Simply select all your users with the DST Patch software config applied and choose "Clear PIM Sync Backup Data" from the Service Control & Customization area"

the query tool is showing all 38 users need the patch even though I have run it succesfully on this version with one user.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #30
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1eagle
where is this on BES 4.02?

"Simply select all your users with the DST Patch software config applied and choose "Clear PIM Sync Backup Data" from the Service Control & Customization area"

the query tool is showing all 38 users need the patch even though I have run it succesfully on this version with one user.
It isn't, you have to do it individually Right click the user in the manager then go to properties. PIM Sync tab, clear auto wirless... button.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #31
only1eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

arggggg
thanks tho!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hey everyone, this got bumped back to the top, but not everyone realizes that if they are pushing v2.2 or v2.3, they don't need this clear pim sync hack. The 2.2 and 2.3 report back much better so this hack isn't going to help much, if at all. Just an FYI to clear the FUD.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #33
only1eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

actually the clear pim works on 2.2 and 2.3 for errored users
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #34
bbgirl

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
When you say "console", what do you mean? You will only see who has been patched by using DSTQuery or BoxTone DST Expert as the info is in the db. The manager and h/h config don't show the patch status, just the patch helper app status (more info here).

Windows auth is fine, you shouldn't need to do anything other than be sure you are using good credentials. Can you post your string here for us. FYI, I use this:

dst2007query -n localhost -db BESMgmt -b all -ol \\fileshare\outputfile.txt

and it works fine. I run from my BES but you can run from anywhere which has access. The impact on the BES is zero so if you do it from there, you will know creds should be fine.
I first started running from a different pc, but then when I got this error, I ran from my bes and still the error, that it fails to connect to databe.

my string is the same except I let the file output to the dst folder...easier to find it. what is the parameter "-b all" for?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #35
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

the -b all parameter is for what BES you want to look at to check user stats. If you have multiple BES, you can have it only look at one BES at a time, or all of them at once.

EDIT: Check this link

BlackBerry Search Results

It's about TCP/IP and Named Pipes and failing to connect to the DB

Zro

Last edited by Zro; 03-07-2007 at 10:50 PM..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #36
bbgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
the -b all parameter is for what BES you want to look at to check user stats. If you have multiple BES, you can have it only look at one BES at a time, or all of them at once.

EDIT: Check this link

BlackBerry Search Results

It's about TCP/IP and Named Pipes and failing to connect to the DB

Zro

thanks for the info, but still nothing. these protocols were enabled, but I went through with the instruction, anyway. no luck!!!. I guess, I will have to rely on the console. I have noticed that after the patch is applied the status changes to "UP TO DATE".
Old 03-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #37
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

The Software Configuration status should say Up To Date almost right after you assign the user to the software config. Basically this means that the configuration, IT Policy, and Applicaiton Control Policy has been sent and accepted by the handheld. One big misconception that RIM support has told me is that people think this means the app has been pushed, but it does not. So I tested and sure enough, they were right (go figure, RIM knowing how their product works? never )

For the query, have you tried using the IP instead of "localhost"? Is the DB on the same server as the BES? SQL or MSDE? And really dumb question, but is your BES database named BESMgmt? Don't laugh, I've talked to people who have it different but swear up and down that it's the default

From a machine that does not have the DB on it, try doing this command in a DOS window:
net use \\<db server name\c$ /user:<db servername>\administrator

Enter the password when prompted. Then try running this:
DST2007Query -db <database name> -n <db servername> -b all

OR, if you have SQL authentication enabled on the database, you can try doing
DST2007Query -db <database name> -n <db servername> -b all -dbauth -dbuser sa -dbpass <sa's password>

Another question is whether or not the SQL server is running on the default port of 1433? I don't believe the query tool will run on a nonstandard port.

What happens if you do the following on the BES in a dos window:
C:\> osql -E
1> use besmgmt
2> go

Is there an error? or does the go command bring you back to a 1> ?

Zro
Closed Thread