BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
brharte

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Talking Is it ok to use a Bold w/out Data plan and still live to tell about it? You betcha!!

Please Login to Remove!

First off, i used to own a BB 8700g when it first came out with full BIS a few years ago. I then switched to the Curve 8320 also with a BIS plan. So I definitely understand the importance of a data plan.

Now, I've heard it all before. "Why waste good money on a bold if you won't use it to it's fullest" and "A BB without data plan is like a..(insert analogy here)". I understand that there are a lot of BB devotees around, but there are also those who simply love the "non-data" characteristics of the Bold (killer organizer, gorgeous screen, media player, camera, GPS, Wi-fi, awesome keyboard, robust OS, and access to tons of free and paid apps.

So, again I think many in the BB community are being a bit hard on the "casual user" out there. And yes, I am aware this topic has been covered a thousand times.

So what can one do with a new unlocked Blackberry Bold? First off:

- Your new Bold WILL function without a SIM card inserted contrary to what others have mentioned. You will have full access to the media player, calendar, clock, etc. In fact everything but making calls and receiving BB emails of course.

- Secondly, and most importantly, WI-FI DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WORKS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Just make sure to go through the Wi-fi setup during initial startup of the new device. There was only one instance where during an adventurous poking around some settings, I lost wi-fi connectivity. I simply reset my device and found out that it wouldn't connect. After a quick reset of my home router, my BB picked up the signal and I was back in business. Personally, I own an Unlocked At&t Bold which I purchased from an online electronics store. I don't know what the At&T reps do to block all the wi-fi goodness before you walk out the door. I am either at my college campus, starbucks, or my apartment: AND ALL THREE HAVE WI-FI. I therefore cannot justify a data plan (Yes, email senders will understand if I don't reply to their messages 0.3 secs after reading them).

- Thirdly, my prepaid T-mobile sim card works on the bold (obviously since it's unlocked).

Some notable apps that I use daily are Beejive (an IM client) and Yatca (a twitter client). Both of these apps are integrated into blackberrys alert system so when I get a "tweet" or an IM message (yahoo, gtalk, and msn), I get a sound alert and the red led flashes. Another cool thing about these two apps is that all messages show up in the Blackberry's email message application too. Others are iHeartRadio and Slacker.

All the apps I've listed work over the Bolds Wi-fi so no problem if you don't have a data plan. However other apps definitely require a data plan to work.

I hope this will give many potential Bold owners an idea of what to expect with an unlocked blackberry. At least until they do decide to get a data plan. Oh, and the BLACKBERRY BOLD ROCKS!! I've owned both the iphone and iphone 3G and none of them compare to the bold.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
obentou
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ROGERS

Lol well, I was expecting more along the lines of the functionality of the phone aside the data-dependent features... ie. the copy and paste integration, scheduling ease, texting... because all the stuff you've listed applies to some other devices as well. So why the Bold? :D
Old 06-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
brharte

True. I chose the bold because i had prior experience with using blackberries and as I mentioned, RIM's OS is second to none. Very robust although not the most pleasant to look at. I've also owned a Treo 680 and Nokia N95. While they too offered strong Pda features, their OS was often a hit and miss.

I was just trying to give potential first time blackberry owners a heads up. The one question often asked about the Bold (and curve 8900) is whether wi-fi will work without a data plan, hence my focus on Wi-fi. I just think we do blackberries a dis-service when we focus so much on the "data only" features of the device. Since it does a whole lot more.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (MY 8900)

This is true. But if you just use wifi, that takes half the fun away as well as almost all of ythe function.

If you are browsing on wifi, it would be just as easy to pull out a laptop or netbook and just use that
Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
cortiz179
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: att

It takes a lot longer to turn on laptop. I used my wifi on the fly most the time.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
brharte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (MY 8900)

This is true. But if you just use wifi, that takes half the fun away as well as almost all of ythe function.

If you are browsing on wifi, it would be just as easy to pull out a laptop or netbook and just use that

Agreed. I never said Wi-fi is a substitute for a data plan. I was merely pointing out that a Bold w/out a data plan is not "useless" as many in this community seem to think. At some point in the future, the user might feel that they actually do need a data plan and will then sign-up for one. The key word is "choice".

If RIM released the Bold without a Wi-fi feature, I guarantee that a lot of you would have opted for the storm or 8900. Another thing is, people with a data plan almost never use wifi. It's just a force of habit I guess. I know that's what I did with my iphone and 8320.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Without a data plan a BlackBerry is useless for it's PRIMARY PURPOSE: email.

That's been the focus of BlackBerrys since day 1. Of course you can use the phone on a pre-paid SIM. You can use any unlocked phone this way. And you can use the PIM features with no SIM at all if you want, just like a Palm Pilot. Terrible waste, however. And there are much better choices for a device if all you want is a calendar and address book.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
littleman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

Wirelessly posted (bold 9000)

Yes I have to agree email is awsom with the data plan. I use it insted of sms or mms. Why pay extra for it when you have bb email. This offset the cost enough for me to make the data plan worth it.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
ColdCutz

Carrier: AT&T

I don't get why BB fans are so up in arms when a BB is not used for its "PRIMARY PURPOSE: email." If you're trying to tell me that I'm wasting my money, missing out on some features, or just misusing the device, then that's your opinion. Yet it's my strong opinion that paying $30/mo for something that I won't use is wasting my money.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutz View Post
I don't get why BB fans are so up in arms when a BB is not used for its "PRIMARY PURPOSE: email." If you're trying to tell me that I'm wasting my money, missing out on some features, or just misusing the device, then that's your opinion. Yet it's my strong opinion that paying $30/mo for something that I won't use is wasting my money.
Honestly, don't even bother trying to change their thinking. It's a lost cause here.
There will always be people, like dc/dc, who will continue to rail against BlackBerry users who choose to operate sans BB data plan. They just don't get it, and they never will.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
phonemanjones

Model: Soon
Default $5 vs $30

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this... but my 8310 on AT&T receives MMS messages (MOBILE#@mms.att.net) just fine without a data plan - I have the $5/month, 200 message plan. Works for me with my limited mobile email needs and is $25.00/month cheaper (e.g., forward important emails to my MOBILE#@mms.att.net address). Yes, I know I can't surf the web, do GPS stuff, etc. - but I don't need to.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutz View Post
If you really don't use the data services, that's cool. I still say there are way better devices for you if that's the case, but hey, whatever floats your boat. What really gets the users here up in arms is when non-data plan users ask how to wheeze the data services with no plan, or whine about how unfair it is that these things are not included by the greedy and evil RIM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
ColdCutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If you really don't use the data services, that's cool. I still say there are way better devices for you if that's the case, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
As far as planning and organizational phones go do you have any suggestions? I would be very impressed if there was one that matched the build quality of the Bold.

Quote:
What really gets the users here up in arms is when non-data plan users ask how to wheeze the data services with no plan, or whine about how unfair it is that these things are not included by the greedy and evil RIM.
Oh, I can understand that. Complaints based around willfully ignoring the facts are difficult to sympathize with.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

does at&t do the @ home thing like tmob does ?
i.e., do their wi-fi devices use wi-fi to pipe calls/email/data to the phone when it's connected to a wi-fi network ?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
does at&t do the @ home thing like tmob does ?
i.e., do their wi-fi devices use wi-fi to pipe calls/email/data to the phone when it's connected to a wi-fi network ?
No and no.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Honestly, don't even bother trying to change their thinking. It's a lost cause here.
There will always be people, like dc/dc, who will continue to rail against BlackBerry users who choose to operate sans BB data plan. They just don't get it, and they never will.
I get it completely. They're scammers, and you're a wanker. Get stuffed.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I get it completely. They're scammers, and you're a wanker. Get stuffed.
Scammers? Oh, please. Your ignorance makes me smile. Go ahead and keep embarrassing yourself. It's fun to watch.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Scammers? Oh, please. Your ignorance makes me smile. Go ahead and keep embarrassing yourself. It's fun to watch.
From where I sit, you're the ignorant one. Trying to get something for nothing is scamming. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that.

Anyway, your attempts at wit make me smile and laugh. The way you let your alligator mouth overload your canary ass is just too cute not to love.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
From where I sit, you're the ignorant one. Trying to get something for nothing is scamming. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that.
Once again, you miss the point entirely and just reinforced my previous conclusion that you will never understand this.
I'm not talking about getting something for nothing, nor have I ever condoned that.
What I'm saying, many times over, is that some people simply don't need the plan or the features it brings. There's nothing wrong with choosing to not buy something you don't need.
Opting-out is the furthest thing from "scamming" that I can think of.
Closed Thread