BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
norg

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry 8120 w/ Rogers = free wifi/internet access ,no data plan needed?

Please Login to Remove!

I've relatively new to cellphones so I'm not familiar with their terms, so I'm hoping someone could help me out here.

I plan on getting a Blackberry for myself, along with a plan and another cellphone to share with another family member.

Currently, I have selected BlackBerry Pearl 8120 as my BB of choice.

What I want to know is...is it actually wifi enabled and I can use it to surf online through my home/school internet connection, or do I actually have to pay a flat fee [basically, a data plan] in addition to my family plan [35$ or so a month] ?

I'm generally looking for a basic phone with PDA features along with internet access. The internet access shouldn't be charged extra through data. I do a ton of blogging, twitter-ing, messenging, etc. Is this the right phone for me?

Basically, I want a Blackberry that functions as a phone, PDA and a teeny, small laptop with wifi access. Does the Pearl 8120 does the job? It's listed as UMA capable on Rogers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read countless forums and being one who is new to much cellphone terms, i don't understand what most people are saying -_-

Last edited by norg; 06-12-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
norg

20+ views with no response ?:(
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Papa-Pompous
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31AE1088
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

well the blackberry pearl 8120 is the version with wifi access. I have an 8130 and a data plan and I couldn't be more pleased. These phones are great for social networking, blogging, and messaging through mine. IDK if this is right and I hope someone corrects me but the push email won't work without a BlackBerry data plan so stuff like that wouldn't work and IDK about messengers. Hopefully someone here has a 8120 that can answer your questions more fully. But I hope I helped some.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
plasticities
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

it sounds like the right phone for you but i don't have the 8120 to confirm the wifi thing. i've heard conflicting stories. i'm sure someone who owns one with wifi can clear that up.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Ebtek
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have an 8120 but i also have a data plan so it would be difficult to determine if the wifi still works sans the data plan.

i think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with an 8120 and no data plan around these parts...perhaps a call to rogers would yield a better response.

good luck
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
rlvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by norg View Post
I've relatively new to cellphones so I'm not familiar with their terms, so I'm hoping someone could help me out here.

I plan on getting a Blackberry for myself, along with a plan and another cellphone to share with another family member.

Currently, I have selected BlackBerry Pearl 8120 as my BB of choice.

What I want to know is...is it actually wifi enabled and I can use it to surf online through my home/school internet connection, or do I actually have to pay a flat fee [basically, a data plan] in addition to my family plan [35$ or so a month] ?

I'm generally looking for a basic phone with PDA features along with internet access. The internet access shouldn't be charged extra through data. I do a ton of blogging, twitter-ing, messenging, etc. Is this the right phone for me?

Basically, I want a Blackberry that functions as a phone, PDA and a teeny, small laptop with wifi access. Does the Pearl 8120 does the job? It's listed as UMA capable on Rogers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read countless forums and being one who is new to much cellphone terms, i don't understand what most people are saying -_-
Hi,

I am looking for the exact same answer for the same phone. Did you ever get this figured out?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
yanamal

Carrier: AT&T

I have just set up my new 8120 to browse the internet over wi-fi, and I don't have a data plan.
Just make sure that you are using the wi-fi browser and not trying to use the MEdia Net one:
Go to Options -> Advanced ->Browser -> default browser configuration and set it to wi-fi.

Also, make sure you have "Data Services" ON in Options -> Mobile Network.
As far as I can tell, this does NOT mean that it's using a data plan in any way: I tested it out with the Mobile Network turned off completely, and the browser still worked.
However, with "data services" off, the browser was not able to connect to anything whether the mobile network is on or off, so I think it's just a blackberry setting about blocking all data or something.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
mgm747
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 2491E241
Carrier: t-mobile

i have the 8320 curve and i use wifi and i get e-mails without a data plan. I hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
dani77
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm747 View Post
i have the 8320 curve and i use wifi and i get e-mails without a data plan. I hope that helps.
How do you do that? Do you have the 9.99 email add on? I know you can check by going to the site and logging in, but which one pushes without a data plan??

I just turned off my data plan,wasn't using it much. I use the wifi in my house. Took a minute to get it set up, had to call CS to get a few things ironed out, but it works great now.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
johnlee1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanamal View Post
I have just set up my new 8120 to browse the internet over wi-fi, and I don't have a data plan.
Just make sure that you are using the wi-fi browser and not trying to use the MEdia Net one:
Go to Options -> Advanced ->Browser -> default browser configuration and set it to wi-fi.

Also, make sure you have "Data Services" ON in Options -> Mobile Network.
As far as I can tell, this does NOT mean that it's using a data plan in any way: I tested it out with the Mobile Network turned off completely, and the browser still worked.
However, with "data services" off, the browser was not able to connect to anything whether the mobile network is on or off, so I think it's just a blackberry setting about blocking all data or something.

hmmm, I just got off the phone with Rogers, and they said that you need a Data Plan to use the WiFi...

So, I just want to make sure before i purchase this phone.

YOU have a data block on the phone and you can still access internet without getting charged correct??
Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
twgg

You do NOT need a data plan to use WiFi... however you won't get UMA, nor will you get data apps like google maps or gmail client working which assumes you have a data connection.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
lil k

Model: 8110
Carrier: rogers

DISABLE TCP

From the phone's home screen, Go to Options >> Advanced Options >> TCP
In the TCP function You will see the following:
APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username for APN: WAP@rogers
Password for APN: *********

Delete all the above content so that the fields for TCP settings are Blank.
Your TCP settings should look like this:
APN:
Username for APN:
Password for APN:

Save settings and exit to home screen of the phone.
Step2 SELECT DEFAULT BROWSER

From the phone's home screen, Go to Options >> Advanced Options >> Browser
Make sure you select Wi-Fi Browser as your default Browser. Save settings and exit.
Step3 CHANGE BROWSER SETTINGS

From the phone's home screen, Go to Browser. Then press the "Menu" button on the phone (located to the left of the circular navigation button). Select Options >> Browser Configuration.
Here select the browser as "Wi-Fi Browser". This step ensures that you are always using the browser to work with Wi-Fi only mode.
Step4 MANAGE CONNECTIONS

From the phone's home screen , Go to Manage Connections >> Set Up Wi-Fi Network >> Scan for Networks.
Once the network is added successfully, Go to Manage Connections and Turn ON Wi-Fi connection.
Step5 You are ready to browse internet and explore the world while not being charged for any data services. You will only pay your regular phone charges and nothing extra to the service provider!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
cwooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee1986 View Post
hmmm, I just got off the phone with Rogers, and they said that you need a Data Plan to use the WiFi...

So, I just want to make sure before i purchase this phone.

YOU have a data block on the phone and you can still access internet without getting charged correct??
dont listen to rogers, they just want you to get the data plan.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
Crave28

Model: 8130

Does that mean getting the 8120 with wifi will be free of charge say when you are at starbucks or at home using a wifi connection? On the other hand, you will be able to browse the internet, be able to use the applications, and receive emails?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
brasil-tester

Model: 8260
Default Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crave28 View Post
Does that mean getting the 8120 with wifi will be free of charge say when you are at starbucks or at home using a wifi connection? On the other hand, you will be able to browse the internet, be able to use the applications, and receive emails?
Make sure you enable wifi only access.

UMA calls that Rogers calls Talkspot is different.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
angelasfirstblackberry

Carrier: rogers

Hi....

When I'm in the set up wifi screen and I get to Find: what do I do if I don't know the name of the connection?

For example if I want to connect to any wifi available, how do I do that?
Closed Thread