BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
angelsunday

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Pearl updated and now won't tether or talk to my computer! HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

i am at my wits end! i'm about to go discount tire and throw this phone through the Alltel store's window! i've talked to tech support repeatedly with no resolution, and took it in to the store with little concern from most of the associates (one was helpful and refered my to her computer savvy husband, who went thru what tech support asked me to do, too).

here's the scoop:
my fiance and i both have pearls. mine was updated to the new software last thursday, his is "stock". since then, mine isn't recognized by our desktop computer. sometimes it comes up as a mass storage device, but desktop manager doesn't find it. when i plug his in, i get three "ding dongs" that a device has been attached. since the update, mine will only ding dong twice... (?) it will even recognize it as a bb smart phone, but won't tether (his still does), can't use in mass storage mode... and my computer rarely recognizes it (it still does his). my phone does talk to the computer at the alltel store fine (so i'm told...).

things i've tried:
(windows xp, service pack 3) hard reset of the phone (haven't wiped it yet, can't back up my info!), restarted the computer, uninstalled completely and reinstalled all software, downloaded updated software and drivers (his still works, mine doesn't), and other misc things...

at this point i'm thinking that it's a outdated driver, maybe? new enough to talk to his phone, but not mine with the new updated software? i don't know, but i'm tired of it! any suggestions?!?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
CrackBerryHead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T

When you say you updated to the new software, I presume you installed a newer OS on the phone. If this is the case, locate the previous version, wipe out your phone now, and install the previous version. If you updated to OS 4.5, it seems like it's a hit or miss. It was a miss for me, phone froze and unresponsive.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
angelsunday

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

running version 4.5.0.127... i wiped it (lost all my contact info, because i haven't been able to back up) and it seems to run faster and doesn't die as quickly. still won't talk to my computer (no tethering and no pin in desktop manager). still two ding dongs. how do i get 4.3 on it if i can't get my computer to acknowledge it?
Closed Thread