Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
boilermaker

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8820 via Wifi

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I am a brand new convert over to BB's and just purchased an 8820 and have been reading through threads for the last 2 days and have not been able to resolve my issue.

First, let me tell you that I have upgraded to the latest 8820 software (4.2.2.338), I have gone into the "Advanced Options" and changed the "Default Browser Configuration" to "Wifi Browser", I have opened the browser that comes with the BB and gone into the options and changed the "Browser Configuration" to "Wifi Browser", I have also downloaded Opera and changed the same settings.

I have configured my BB to connect to my home network and everything is working correctly, when I go into the "Manage Connections" area, both the "Mobile Network" and "Wi-Fi" connections have a green check mark next to them. When I use the browser or Opera, or connect with Facebook, and use the EDGE network, everything works great...But when I turn off the "Mobile Network" in the "Manage Connections" area and attempt to use the BB browser it tells me that "The radio on the device is currently turned off or the battery is too low for the radio to be used. As a result the browser cannot retrieve any web pages." But this shouldnt be the case because the Wi-Fi connection is still running and has the green checkmark. I get different errors when trying to use Opera or Facebook, but needless to say they wont connect.

Any ideas that the community would be much appreciated!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMobile

Welcome to the forum!

Did you resend your service books after upgrading the OS?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
boilermaker

I hadnt, but I just went into "Options" then "Advanced Options" then "Routing Table" and hit the menu button and did "Register Now" and received a text message that my BB had been registered with the network.

I then turned off the wireless connection again and attempted to startup the browser and had the same problem as above. I checked the settings and everything is set to "Wi-Fi Browser".
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
sugar

In Menu/Options/Security Options/Firewall check that BB Iternet Service is not checked to be blocked.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
boilermaker

The "Firewall" has a setting of "Disabled" and nothing is checked at this point.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
sugar

When you turn off the Mobile network, do you have UMA appearing on your screen?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
boilermaker

No...in blue on the line underneath the battery icon it has the name of my home wireless network that it is connected too and on the top line to the right of the date it has "WiFi" in bold black/white. There is nothing that says UMA, but from what I have read AT&T does not support UMA, they will only allow you to use Wi-Fi for data, not for voice....UMA is strictly a T-Mobile thing.

Last edited by boilermaker; 07-28-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
sugar

Can you go to Menu/OptionsWiFI Options/ select your connection (home wireless network)/BB buttonm/Wi-Fi Diagnostics

and see what the feedback is on UMA
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
boilermaker

There is actually no UMA listing under the "Wi-Fi Diagnostics" menu...there are 3 headings in this menu "Wi-Fi", "VPN" and "Blackberry Infrastructure" and the green checkmarks seem to be in the right place in the "Wi-Fi" and "Blackberry Infrastructure" areas.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
sugar

Under wiFi you should have Status: Network acquired witg your local IP address and connection data rate...
Under UMA, you should read: Coonect Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred and UMA WI-Fi Available and connection checked in green.
If not, it might be a router issue. I would check that the device is properly authorized in your wireless network. (on my netgear, I have access control set so that only devices that are authorized can access the network)...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
boilermaker

OK...I still dont see UMA, but it reads the following under "Wi-Fi"
- "Association" has a green checkmark
- "Authentication" has a green checkmark
- I have a valid IP address off of my router
- "Connection data rate" of 54 Mbps
- "Status" of "Network Acquired"
- "DHCP" has a green checkmark

On my netgear, I do broadcast my SSID, but protect by limiting which MAC addresses are allowed to connect, so I had already pulled the MAC from the BB and put that into my wireless router's MAC address table.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
sugar

Try a battery pull.

Then in the browser in Go To: type an address (e.g. google.com) and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
boilermaker

Alright...I believe I have figured out the issue.

I purchased the phone on eBay, it was supposed to be brand new, but I believe it had some kind of policy already loaded that restricted it from routing through the wifi connection.

When initially trying to use the wifi connection, I had yet to connect to my company's email system and had a personal BB plan through AT&T. In talking to AT&T on the phone I got the plan switched to an "Enterprise" BB plan and was able to connect my phone to my company's email system. When that happened a new policy was pushed down to my phone. After pulling the battery and re-booting I was then able to disconnect the wireless connection and only use the wi-fi connnection.

The caveat being that the "browser" that comes pre-loaded on the BB still will not use the wi-fi connection, but all other internet apps. will, such as google talk, facebook and opera mini. I have played with the settings and cannot get the browser to work, but am comfortable with the setup I have now.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

On a good 8820 which was not messed with browser should work over WiFi. In fact, it seamlessly switches between WiFi and EDGE with the preference given to WiFi.
That's the idea, is not it?

Also, 8820 does not have UMA. If properly connected to WiFi and RIM, it will show WiFi in bright black and white colors.
Closed Thread