BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
mkatwilder24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile
Default 8320, Tmo hotspot@home, & routers....

Please Login to Remove!

I was told by Tmo technical support that their hotspot@home service does not work with draft-n or MIMO technologies found in the newer wireless routers. Tried connecting with a new Belkin N1 and couldn't do it.

Don't suppose anyone else got hotpot@home to work with a this stuff, especially the MIMO?

My initial intent was to tweak performance in my internet/wireless network now that it has a home security system, two TIVO boxes, my laptop, and now my phone running through it. Things get a little sluggish when they are all running at once. Decided to upgrade my modem as I was still using the leased one from when I first got broadband from Comcast...duh!

Another question for experts....would adding one of the branded hotspot@home routers (D-Link, Linksys) configured as a wireless access point help out with the sluggishness? I thought it might take some pressure of the router, but since it is still getting its broadband signal from the same source perhaps that is dumb? Obviously, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by mkatwilder24; 10-12-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
juliohaynie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA6EAF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does anyone happen to know what T-Mobile is charging for their routers? I called 4 times and all I was able to find out was that there are 2 different ones, no pricing and long wait periods. Maybe they were scared because I just purchased 2 Curves long too long ago...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliohaynie View Post
Does anyone happen to know what T-Mobile is charging for their routers? I called 4 times and all I was able to find out was that there are 2 different ones, no pricing and long wait periods. Maybe they were scared because I just purchased 2 Curves long too long ago...
I got the Linksys for $49.99 with $50 mail in rebate. So Free
Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
nrivas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatwilder24 View Post
I was told by Tmo technical support that their hotspot@home service does not work with draft-n or MIMO technologies found in the newer wireless routers. Tried connecting with a new Belkin N1 and couldn't do it.

Don't suppose anyone else got hotpot@home to work with a this stuff, especially the MIMO?

My initial intent was to tweak performance in my internet/wireless network now that it has a home security system, two TIVO boxes, my laptop, and now my phone running through it. Things get a little sluggish when they are all running at once. Decided to upgrade my modem as I was still using the leased one from when I first got broadband from Comcast...duh!

Another question for experts....would adding one of the branded hotspot@home routers (D-Link, Linksys) configured as a wireless access point help out with the sluggishness? I thought it might take some pressure of the router, but since it is still getting its broadband signal from the same source perhaps that is dumb? Obviously, I know just enough to be dangerous.
I have a MIMO-spec Wireless-G router (Netgear) and works just fine. The Curve does not work on Wireless-N router since the Curve is only B- and G- compatible. Not unless you're router is backwards compatible (ie. Apple Airport Extreme).

What kind of bandwidth speeds do you have? I'm running a home server, 2 laptops, a Nintendo Wii, and a home NAS drive and no UMA lag even during peak hours. I have Comcast with a Motorola modem. With the Speedboost I'm getting 15000k/1500k down/upload speeds.

Personally I don't like the Tmo supplied routers (its basically a Linksys with QOS). But thats just my take.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
ml320

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrivas View Post
I have a MIMO-spec Wireless-G router (Netgear) and works just fine. The Curve does not work on Wireless-N router since the Curve is only B- and G- compatible. Not unless you're router is backwards compatible (ie. Apple Airport Extreme).

What kind of bandwidth speeds do you have? I'm running a home server, 2 laptops, a Nintendo Wii, and a home NAS drive and no UMA lag even during peak hours. I have Comcast with a Motorola modem. With the Speedboost I'm getting 15000k/1500k down/upload speeds.

Personally I don't like the Tmo supplied routers (its basically a Linksys with QOS). But thats just my take.
I have the Apple Airport Extreme base and I love it. I have a lot of things connected to it and i have recently connected my curve to it. I have no problems with connecting and getting a full UMA signal. My only problem is when it switches back to edge, it disconnects my call. Is there some way to fix this problem? I have called TMO several times and no luck what so ever.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
ml320

Bump ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This thread probably belongs in the WiFi Hotzone, so.....

Moved to Wifi Forum
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a D-Link DIR-655 which is a Draft-N certified router (as of firmware 1.04) and have been using UMA quite a lot with only occasional problems at first. When I modified the QoS settings to favor my Curve, I have had no problems since.

Quote:
I did a lot of shopping for routers from back in the days of the "MIMO" and "pre-N" routers to the recent crop of Draft-N routers and all the ones I saw were backwards compatible (in practice, some did better than others in mixed environments, but they all listed b & g protocols as "supported"). Only a few bothered to tout that on their box-fronts, though. Todays Draft-N routers seem to do much better in mixed environments as I guess they've had time to hammer out the issues in the protocols.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
ballbags

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

please help!

how exactly do I modify the QoS settings to favor my Curve and solve this issue. I have the most recent Airport Extreme Base Station with gigabit ethernet so I am hoping its something I can fix. For two months I've been unable to use my curve in or around my apartment and its been a nightmare. any assistance is greatly appreciated as T-mobile and Apple-care both have been no help. thanks

bb
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I don't believe there's much you can do with the Airport Routers to get good results with the Curve. This has been discussed quite a bit on the forum here. If you search for airport extreme I'm sure you'll find the threads on it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
tbill08

PIN: N/A
Question T-Mobile Unlimited Hotspot Calling and Motorola Surfboard sbg900 Cable Modem

Quote:

I currently have a motorola surfboard sbg900 cable modem and have the Unlimited Hotspot calling feature for my 8320 and Comcast service. My phone connects to (recognizes) my WiFi (modem) just fine but doesn't connect to UMA in order for me to make unlimited calls. There's nothing wrong with the phone, I don't believe, because it connects to UMA at Hotspot locations and at my mom's who has a Netgear modem. It's the TMO service just not compatible with my particular modem? I haven't really gotten a good answer from TMO representatives. My phone Wi-Fi Diagnostics always indicate under the UMA section: Connection Pref.: Wifi Preferred, UMA Wifi Available: Green check; Connection: Red X; Error Code 601; Thanks..
Closed Thread