Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: q30
PIN: g
Carrier: metro pcs
Default Trackpad , Menu keys etc

Please Login to Remove!

I went back to the store for a third time to play with the 9800, Here's what i don't like , The trackpad , menu , etc keys should of been put with the keyboard instead of on top with the touch screen. Every time I slide open the phone my thumb pushes down on either the trackpad , menu key or one of the other key's , this will become an issue later on as time goes on . There needs to be a strip where you can put ur thumb on to slide the phone...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Maybe you need to send your suggestion to RIM?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I believe its desigend it that way so that all functions are available when the screen is in the closed position. We need to learn new BB use habbits now.

I am inclined to agree, it would be nice if there was a small thumb strip, groove or ribbed grippy area to aid in the opening with either thumb.

I just use the far inside edge of my thumb to get it going then the spring
kicks in and its open.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtivr6r View Post
I believe its desigend it that way so that all functions are available when the screen is in the closed position. We need to learn new BB use habbits now.

I am inclined to agree, it would be nice if there was a small thumb strip, groove or ribbed grippy area to aid in the opening with either thumb.

I just use the far inside edge of my thumb to get it going then the spring
kicks in and its open.
But using the edge as many times as you need will eventually cause it to loosen up on that side... besides I was hoping the trackpad would be concealed so I could put in my pocket and not worry about the trackpad locking up from lint or whatever .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Maybe you need to send your suggestion to RIM?
That was great , Your a legend in your own mind . Keep up the good work MOD ?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

As with any design, there will be some that like it and others that don't. It's impossible to please everyone. Complaining here will get nothing done. As suggested, make the complaints / suggestions to the people who actually design the phone.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbizz View Post
But using the edge as many times as you need will eventually cause it to loosen up on that side... besides I was hoping the trackpad would be concealed so I could put in my pocket and not worry about the trackpad locking up from lint or whatever .
Sorry, I meant I use the edge of my thumb, at the bottom of the slider (below the keys) to push it up, not that I push on the edge of the slider.

The track pad itself is a sealed device. Much like the touch pad is on a laptop. Its one sealed unit.
So link effecting the track pad is unlikely. However, the edge around the trackpad... yes I can see
lint and dust bunnies getting in there over time. I'm using my Bold 9000 leather case, so hopefully that will protect it from damage.

Already dropped it at the gym this morning. Its bounces good on the rubber flooring. No damage.

Last edited by gtivr6r; 08-13-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
As with any design, there will be some that like it and others that don't. It's impossible to please everyone. Complaining here will get nothing done. As suggested, make the complaints / suggestions to the people who actually design the phone.
First off , I'm not complaining , just stating my opinion on the device , I could care less what rim does ... Eh ... Plain and simple I was going to buy it and after my 3rd trip to play with it, I decided not to ... instead went to Apple returned the iphone 4g and bought an iPad ... The Pantech is better than the 9800 ...
Great job Rim , Here's a Molson eh
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtivr6r View Post
Sorry, I meant I use the edge of my thumb, at the bottom of the slider (below the keys) to push it up, not that I push on the edge of the slider.

The track pad itself is a sealed device. Much like the touch pad is on a laptop. Its one sealed unit.
So link effecting the track pad is unlikely. However, the edge around the trackpad... yes I can see
lint and dust bunnies getting in there over time. I'm using my Bold 9000 leather case, so hopefully that will protect it from damage.

Already dropped it at the gym this morning. Its bounces good on the rubber flooring. No damage.
Rim is now in the business of doing whatever Apple does , sooner or later they'll come out with a device , non removable battery. Good ting you have that case . Remember you have 30 days to wake up
Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Takes Some Time

Its been an interesting few days with the Torch. With a new form and new OS, there's been a steeper learning curve than previous BB upgrades, but I'm beginning to get it on a granular level and can begin to see the Torch as fitting more solidly within the RIM tradition. There's a practical, workman-like approach to the layouts -- not much superfluous flash when something simpler would do. Most interesting has been the inter-play between the physical keyboard, the trackpad and the touchscreen. Without thinking about it, you begin to instinctively "feel" your way to one method or the other, depending upon the required task. This suggests to me that RIM has does a good job with the touchscreen, as I've adapted to it more quickly than ever I did to a Moto Droid. As for text entry, even though the onscreen keys work well, the physical keyboard remains the best route in almost all program settings. The trackpad is increasingly coming in handy in combination with the touchscreen (as well as with the physical keyboard, as it had previously). At first glance -- the layout of the Torch seems contrived or even odd, but as you use it, you can appreciate the thinking behind it.

Last edited by mmcpher; 08-13-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Closed Thread