BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
lilb0ibastard

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Rumors about blackberry curve 8520 = unlimited instant messaging?

Please Login to Remove!

[T-Mobile Service]

I been hearing rumors that new versions of blackberry's such as the curve 8520 = unlimited instant messaging?

such as the built in applications like AOL instant messenger, googletalk, windows live, icq, yahoochat, etc no longer use text and all messaging (sent and received) are sent through internet/data, therefor will not be charged a fee for texting, is that true?

I have purchased the phone a couple days ago (curve 8520) under a t-mobile service of $24.99/month plan which only includes unlimited internet browsing (note: texting NOT included)

though I called up t-mobile, visited countless authorized retail t-mobile stores, they all replied saying using AOL instant messenger, googletalk, windows live, icq, yahoochat, etc will be charged as text.

however, I tried out AOL, and windows live and sent a few IM's and received a few back and closed the applications minutes later, and dialed #674#

it says as of 09-29 06:39 AM 0 Used, 0 remaining. Bill closed 10/10. To select a discounted TXT pkg, visit my.t-mobile.com [OK]

i figured there was just lag and it did not update yet, so i sent a few more IM's. As the days pasted and the dates and times updated on #674#

it remains 0 Used, 0 remaining. Bill closed 10/10. To select a discounted TXT pkg, visit my.t-mobile.com [OK]

does this mean there is no charge? and is not considered text?

because i'm dead scared to pay extra "hidden fee's" for only having the unlimited internet plan of $24.99/month and not having the unlimited internet + unlimited messaging plan for $34.99/month

has anyone here had any personal experience with a case similar to this? and are the rumors correct?

I have not yet received my first bill yet, but my balance remains $0.00 even when I check online.

Last edited by lilb0ibastard; 09-29-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

WLM has never used texts on my BB.
(its the only IM program I use)
Ive had my Bold 9 months and its always been data.

I believe ALL IM's are data and have been for a while.

Only thing I can find about using SMS is this:
What about Instant Messaging Built Into T-Mobile BlackBerry?
It is perfectly adequate for light usage. If you are not a heavy IM user, then this client works very well. However there are disadvantages to the Instant Messenger built into T-Mobile BlackBerry (Oz Instant Messaging):
- It uses SMS messages, instead of data.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
lilb0ibastard

how will you know you will be charged for SMS texting? i dialed #674# but it remains 0
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Ive no idea.
like I said, WLM, AOL, Google tlk etc all use data now.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
lilb0ibastard

well i just contacted t-mobile, and i keep getting 2 different answers everytime i contact them...

some tmobile reps say it's 100% free and unlimited because it's under data which is serviced by the $24.99 month internet plan

other tmobile reps say they count as sms and will be charged $0.20 per message sent/received.

ffs... can't they just get their facts straight? -______-

guess i'll have to wait until my first months payment bill to find out =/
Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

want to find out really quick?
enable wi-fi. (im assuming here you have wireless at home?)
let it connect
then uncheck MOBILE NETWORK

then its ONLY using wi-fi.
SMS's cannot go through wi-fi.

open and log in to whichever IM your using.

if it signs you in, its data.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
lilb0ibastard

well, i cannot login to any WiFi at the moment, it's all locked and the password to our connection, only my sister knows.

but when i turn off Mobile Network, I am NOT able to login to aol, msn, or surf the net. nor can i send IM's through aim AFTER logging in before disconnecting the mobile service.

i'll try wifi at a different location and put the results here.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

well that obvious, because you have turned off the connection.
the whole point is, data can go through wi-fi but SMS cant, hence the ability to find out.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Victoria72

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Arrow Also a T-Mobile customer

I am also a T-Mobile customer and I have to say that all of the instant messenger programs you mention are web based programs. Based on this fact, you should not be charged for any messaging that you do through them. What you will be charged for are MMS and SMS messages which are entirely different from instant messages.
It has been my experience that several of the T-Mobile reps I have spoken to seem rather ill-equipped to answer our questions about services, coverage, etc. Every so often, I will come across one who is masterful in their knowledge of their company services as well as what their devices can do. However, I feel that many listen for keywords (such as "messaging" or "billing") and then give the answer they know related to those keywords. Unfortunately, you will not always get the correct answer.
Have you visited Unsupported Browser? That might clear up some of your questions.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
lilb0ibastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria72 View Post
I am also a T-Mobile customer and I have to say that all of the instant messenger programs you mention are web based programs. Based on this fact, you should not be charged for any messaging that you do through them. What you will be charged for are MMS and SMS messages which are entirely different from instant messages.
It has been my experience that several of the T-Mobile reps I have spoken to seem rather ill-equipped to answer our questions about services, coverage, etc. Every so often, I will come across one who is masterful in their knowledge of their company services as well as what their devices can do. However, I feel that many listen for keywords (such as "messaging" or "billing") and then give the answer they know related to those keywords. Unfortunately, you will not always get the correct answer.
Have you visited Unsupported Browser? That might clear up some of your questions.
yes i have, i have also live chatted numerous times over the live support on t mobile website.

here are a 3 of the many i have chatted with, all giving me different answers.

it's pretty long lol

but to sum it all up.

1) the first rep did not really know what she was talking about and sounded confused half the time so i believe you can rule her out

2) the second rep said the pre-loaded software app's like AIM on the curve 8520 used SMS

3) the last rep said the previous rep was incorrect and the pre-loaded software app's like AIM on the curve 8520 used data/internet

[here are the logs]

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

You have been connected to _Kathleen B.
_Kathleen B: Hi chris , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. Ixxx8217;m _Kathleen and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
chris chan: hello
_Kathleen B: How are you doing tonight Chris?
chris chan: im good, i have a few questions about my service
chris chan: I have purchased a blackberry curve 8520, and is serviced by the $24.99/month blackberry plan, which includes unlimited web browsing only.
On the phone itself, there are multiple instant messaging applications such as (1) blackberry messenger, (2) AOL instant messenger, (3) Google talk, (4) ICQ, (5) Yahoo messenger, and (6) Windows live messenger.
Will I be charged for using these applications to send and receive messages from other users? Sinc
_Kathleen B: I can completely understand the concern in wanting to get this resolved as quickly as possible, I will be more than happy to help you get this taken care of for you.
chris chan: Since I do NOT have the $34.99/month plan which includes unlimited web browsing plus the additional unlimited domestic messaging plan? Or is it completely free of charge under the $24.99/month plan which has unlimited web browsing only?
_Kathleen B: These messaging services will come out of your texting bundle that is on your plan.
_Kathleen B: The blackberry messenger will come out of your internet bundle.
_Kathleen B: Chris may I have the last four digits of the Social Security number that is on the account?
chris chan: is the internet bundle free of charge when i use it? as well as the other instant messaging services?
chris chan: the social number on the account is my fathers, i do not know it off the top of my head, nor is he here at the moment
_Kathleen B: Chris you pay for your internet which is what 24.99 a month is for.
chris chan: oh alright, thank you
_Kathleen B: I would advise you to pay the 10.00 extra a month and then you will not have to worry about any overages.
chris chan: the extra $10,00 ONLY applies to texting correct?
chris chan: $10*
_Kathleen B: This way you will not have to worry about either both unlimited web and unlimited texting will be covered.
chris chan: the extra $10 a month only applies to texting correct? because i do not plan to text, only plan to use the instant messaging services
chris chan: which, in my understanding is unlimited under my $24.99 a month internet plan
_Kathleen B: The extra 10.00 would be for the texting.
_Kathleen B: Is there anything else we can assist you with today?
chris chan: alright, that is all i wanted to know
chris chan: thank you for ur time
_Kathleen B: Thank you for contacting T-Mobile Chat, have a great day!
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are currently at position number 2 in the queue.
You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.
You have been connected to ^Brittany T.
^Brittany T: Hi chris , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. Ixxx8217;m ^Brittany and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
chris chan: hi
chris chan: i have a few questions about blackberry instant messaging service
^Brittany T: No problem Chris I will be more then happy to answer all your question.
chris chan: i just purchased the blackberry 8520 under the $24.99 a month blackberry plan
chris chan: which is unlimited internet web browsing only
chris chan: but on the phone itself, there are multiple instant messaging applications built into it when i purchased it
chris chan: like AOL messenger, windows live messenger, and black berry messenger
^Brittany T: Right
chris chan: will i be charged when i send or receive messages from those applications since i only have unlimited internet?
^Brittany T: I definitely understand why you would be concern with that situation? And chris the blackberry messager is included in that 24.99 package but the others are not.
^Brittany T: If you did wanted to use those other services it would be the charge of a standard text message.
chris chan: so to my understanding, only blackberry messenger is covered under my 24.99 plan and is unlimited use... while the other applicatiosn such as AOL messenger, and windows live messenger will be charged as text?
^Brittany T: Yes, exactly.

chris chan: another representative of tmobile has told me that the AOL, and windows live messaging as also covered under my 24.99 plan since it uses internet, and not sms. can you clarify that for me if it is true or not?
chris chan: is*
^Brittany T: Unfortunately Chris, that is misinformation you would actually be charged the text messaging rates because those service appear on the device as text message.

chris chan: so how would the blackberry messages appear on my phone? i assume not in text form?
^Brittany T: Yes, it would appear as a text message but because the blackberry messaging is specific to the blackberry then it is included in all blackberry plans instead of just the messaging plan. Chris, we do still have individual messaging plans that you could choose from that would not require you to have to do unlimited like the 4.99 messaging plan we have that includes 300 messages.
chris chan: ahh
chris chan: alright thank you very much
^Brittany T: No problem, is there anything else we can assist you with today?
chris chan: no, that is all. you have answered my question
chris chan: thank you and have a gret day
^Brittany T: Thank you for contacting T-Mobile Chat, have a great day!

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You are currently at position number 4 in the queue.
You are currently at position number 3 in the queue.
An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

You have been connected to ^Bryant J.
^Bryant J: Hi chris , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. Ixxx8217;m ^Bryant and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
chris chan: hello bryany, i have a question about instant messaging for blackberry curve 8520
chris chan: bryant*
^Bryant J: Great question Chris. It is always good to ask questions. I'll help you out with that question.
chris chan: well, i have the $24.99/month unlimited internet plan, and messaging is not supported
chris chan: but there are built in applications in the phone such as aol instant messenger, windows live, icq etc
^Bryant J: Yes, very true.
chris chan: using those applications to send/receive messages will count as text? or itnernet?
chris chan: internet*
^Bryant J: Actually that is considered apart of data.
^Bryant J: You wouldn't have that capability to do IM if you didn't have the data plan for $24.99.
chris chan: really? because i was informed by another t-mobile representative that AIM, MSN, ICQ are charged as SMS and will be billed 20cent per message
chris chan: can you confirm if that is true
chris chan: or false

^Bryant J: I nice web-site to check out for tips with your Blackberry is Blackberry.com.
^Bryant J: I sure can Chris, one moment please.
chris chan: thanks
^Bryant J: I appreciate your patience with me Chris.
chris chan: no problem
^Bryant J: Instant messaging is included as part of data no messaging, like a text message.
chris chan: so to my understanding, sending and receiving IM's through windows live, and aol instant messenger that came with the blackberry is free of charge to use and is unlimited?
^Bryant J: It is included with the data plan you have with your Blackberry, yes.

^Bryant J: Do you also have the Blackberry desktop manager software on your home computer?
chris chan: it is currently being installed as we speak, so yes and no haha
chris chan: why?
^Bryant J: No, it is a great tool for Blackberry users and owners.
^Bryant J: It is a medium between your Blackberry and your computer.
chris chan: oh yes, no doubt about that lol
chris chan: also
^Bryant J: It has five components to it including Media Manager, Application Loader, Synchronization, Backup and Restore and Device Switch Wizard.
chris chan: is there a way to check how many text/sms messages have been used?
^Bryant J: Yes there is Chris.
^Bryant J: I'll give that information to you.
chris chan: please explain to me how
chris chan: thanks
^Bryant J: You are welcome Chris.
^Bryant J: #674# (#MSG#) is a star code you can use to get those inquiries on your device.
chris chan: and if it says
chris chan: it says as of 09-29 07:06 PM 0 Used, 0 remaining. Bill closed 10/10. To select a discounted TXT pkg, visit my.t-mobile.com [OK]
^Bryant J: You can download the Blackberry desktop manager software from on-line at Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com
chris chan: that means i have used 0 text/sms and will be charged nothing correct?
^Bryant J: You can still send and receive text messages but because you don't have a messaging bundle then it will cost you $.20 per message in or out.
chris chan: oh i see
The agent is sending you to BlackBerry Technical Solution Center.
chris chan: and the $34.99 a month plan which included both unlimited internet + unlimited messaging... the unlimited messaging ONLY applies to texting directly correct? and not IM applications.
^Bryant J: That is correct Chris.
chris chan: ah!!
chris chan: thank you very much, you have answered my question and i am very sorry for consuming your time
chris chan: you have been a great service to me
^Bryant J: Again Chris if you have that data plan you will have unlimited data and messaging so internet browsing, e-mail, instant messaging and text and picture messaging.
^Bryant J: You are welcome Chris.
^Bryant J: Is there anything else we can assist you with today?
chris chan: no that is all, thank you

Last edited by lilb0ibastard; 09-30-2009 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: bolding important parts
Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Firstly, you're confused.
the 24.99 includes BIS, = internet browsing, email, IM use.
the 34.99 is for BES to connect to a server.

you are on the correct data plan to have internet browsing, email and IM as well as apps that use data.

you will NOT be charged SMS's for using the above apps you mention.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
lilb0ibastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Firstly, you're confused.
the 24.99 includes BIS, = internet browsing, email, IM use.
the 34.99 is for BES to connect to a server.

you are on the correct data plan to have internet browsing, email and IM as well as apps that use data.

you will NOT be charged SMS's for using the above apps you mention.
i see..

another question is, what are "Oz" applications? and does that apply to me? because I've been told they charge SMS fee's as well.

and thanks for clearing things up, sorry i started to sound like a broken record lol

Last edited by lilb0ibastard; 09-30-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Closed Thread