Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
RFlow

Model: 9860
PIN: N/A
Carrier: KPN Netherlands
Default [Torch 9860] Red blinking light, PC/Mac won't recognize

Please Login to Remove!

On Friday I received my brand new Torch 9860. However after only hours of use the BlackBerry suddenly turned itself off and wouldn't go back on again. Now I'm stuck with a red blinking light sequence whenever I connect the phone to a power source (computer or outlet). The computer won't recognize the phone in any way on either OS X Lion or Windows 7. It won't even turn up in device manager (Windows) or System Profiler (Mac).
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: [Torch 9860] Red blinking light, PC/Mac won't recognize

Is the battery simply dead? They ship with a minimal charge from the factory. Use the wall charger and let it sit for a few hours to get a decent charge, and try it again. If you've made sure it's charged already, I apologize. I'm not trying to make you look dumb for suggesting that.

Although, when the USB cable is plugged in and the phone is getting power, the PC should recognize it. Do you have desktop manager installed?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Plug the device into a wall charger for 2-4 hours and then see if it will boot. Running the battery down past 205 can harm a lithium battery, especially if done more than a few times. So it could very well be a bad battery. If plugging into a wall charger doesn't work, I wold try a replacement battery.

Some versions of the OS will shut the device off when hitting 20% of battery life to protect it.

When plugging into a PC, you need Desktop Manager installed, which also loads the proper device and charging drivers. When plugging into your Mac, make sure you are using a powered USB. And when plugging into any PC or Mac, plug directly in the the machine, do not connect via a HUB. BBs ad HUBs do not get along very well.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
RFlow

I've let the BlackBerry charge over night, but it won't make any difference. In fact the second I pull the phone from the charger the red light stops blinking and the device doesn't do anything.

Connecting the phone with or without battery to any computer just results in the blinking starting all over again. Windows 7 or OS X Lion won't see the BlackBerry at all. I installed BlackBerry Desktop Software on both platforms however the phone won't even show up in devices or System Profiler. So while the phone does use USB to get a charge it won't communicate to the computer.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Did you drop it or get it wet?

-->>Twitter

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
RFlow

No...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

You could try a new battery or return it for one that works.

-->>Twitter

Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
RFlow

I'll be going to a service center today (30 minute trip by metro, but okay). This is my first BlackBerry ever and feel sorry that things had to go down this way. Especially because this is the second 9860 I received.

The first one came out of the box with a 2 GB memory card instead of 4 and gave a constant stream of errors. Now the second one doesn't function at all after only three hours of usage...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
RFlow

Second phone is basically a DOA: The entire logic board is fried for whatever reason. It will take BlackBerry no less than 6 weeks to fix things and send it return to me. That is if Dutch consumer law didn't protect me from crap like this. Instead I can send the phone return to my provider for a refund or a replacement.

This is my very first BlackBerry and I was looking forward to finally owning one. Right now I'm not sure if I feel like going through the hassle of setting up a third 9860.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
BerryBacus

Model: 6810
Carrier: ATT

I went through similar issues and just want to share my experience. Got new 6810 ~ 5 days back (ATT). made few test calls - fine. Plugged to charge to wall - fine. Then plugged to USB/PC to install extra languages. After that unplugged and noticed it does not respond. Same symptoms as often described - red blinking (blink, blink, pause)... repeat. But no response to any interaction.
Tried removing batter/charging/leaving overnight and etc. to no avail and was thinking of returning the unit, but THEN--- I plugged it to PC to charge and restarted BB software on pc (software was not detecting unit). During that noticed that blinking stopped. PC software suggested upgrade - Done. Then PC soft somehow detected unit and suggested to upgrade it - I said ok and after ~20 minutes of observation the unit finally booted even though it did not respond to any button interaction on the device itself during those 20 min.

I suspect that when I installed stuff, it send reboot command and I unplugged it too early so phone was expecting USB interaction which was unplugged and basically stuck in that state.

or may be one advice to leave battery out for long time (day or more) helped (I tried many tricks trying to bring it back to life)

Hopefully my experience would save someones time/nerves. I must say the phone itself feels great. love the keyboard.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlow View Post
On Friday I received my brand new Torch 9860. However after only hours of use the BlackBerry suddenly turned itself off and wouldn't go back on again. Now I'm stuck with a red blinking light sequence whenever I connect the phone to a power source (computer or outlet). The computer won't recognize the phone in any way on either OS X Lion or Windows 7. It won't even turn up in device manager (Windows) or System Profiler (Mac).
If you just recieved your phone take it back to the carrier and get them to replace it; it's obvious that either you didn't realize that phones don't come fully charged or the device is defective. Either way the carrier should be able to exchange it for a new device without any hassle.

A.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
genericfarms

Model: 9850
Carrier: podonk cdma

I have the same problem, and I am not a blithering idiot. I know how to use a cell phone and have had one for 15 years.

Problem is, this is sunday, the phone died saturday night on the charger. NO, i did not get it wet, no, I did not drop it, NO, the battery is fine. Yes, you are morons for assuming those who past are stupid.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Wow.
Nice first post.

Go whine someplace else. Start with the place you bought it from.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericfarms View Post
I have the same problem, and I am not a blithering idiot. I know how to use a cell phone and have had one for 15 years.

Problem is, this is sunday, the phone died saturday night on the charger. NO, i did not get it wet, no, I did not drop it, NO, the battery is fine. Yes, you are morons for assuming those who past are stupid.

imsur usmoorons wood repli if we underhood your westion.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
annuskhan

Model: 9800
Carrier: at&t

sometime before like one hour my BlackBerry torch 9800 suddenly turned itself off and wouldn't go back on again. no red light blinking light with or without connected with computer or outlet. The computer won't recognize the phone in any way on either OS X Lion or Windows 7. It won't even turn up in device manager (Windows) or System Profiler (Mac).

Last edited by annuskhan; 05-21-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
tomigirl

Model: 9810
Carrier: rogers

did blackberry rig the torches this week? my phone totally died yesterday... thought it was the battery so went to get a new one today.... three other ppl were in there with exactly the same issue!!!!! seems a little ironic. now i come here... and voila..and no my phone did not fall, get wet or anything out of the ordinary.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Especially since these threads are all 4 months old or more.
And different models..
No conspiracy.

So what did Rogers do for you?
Closed Thread