BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #21
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Please Login to Remove!

don't get me wrong I understand why they charge... I was really commenting on my use.

Verichat on my 7100t won't play a sound when the IM's arrive IF i'm in the application... Audio alerts come through if I'm in the BB home screen or whereever... just not the actual veri-chat app.

Is there a fix? Anyone else with this issue?

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 01-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #22
Mgalin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular
Default Re: Verichat 1.70 Download! MSN/ICQ/AIM chat! (T-Mobile work

Maybe the PDAAPPS guys read this..

How about some feature Requests to this great app!

-Selectable font in the buddy list.. i.e. i'd like to go teeny small since my list is big..
-AIM status icons - i.e. away or mobile phone mode (SMS forwarding) - this may suck for battery life.
-AIM Group chats - could market as additional paid service - Verichat pro vs std..

[quote="Mark Rejhon"]Good news! I have been volunteer beta testing (unpaid) over 10 different Verichat releases between 1.48 and 1.78, and have contributed my feedback. So I am happy to announce this greatly improved version.

Verichat Version 1.78 released
Download Now
Old 01-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #23
tel66

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default 1.78b is great!

Thank you VeriChat for the automatic reconnections!!!! Now this is finally a useable product!

One request: can you make it so I don't have to re-enter my licence info every time I install a new version?

tel66
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

rcg:
It's configurable! Go to your Main Menu->Profiles .... Be pleasantly surprised that you can configure it separately for background versus foreground operation
:D

MGalin:
Excellent suggestion about font size, although that could be kind of tricky. PDAApps tells me that group chats are a feature being implemented later in 2005. There are some other priorities (as well as very minor leftover bugs).

tel66:
I am glad you love automatic reconnects. I insisted on that feature. I kept asking for automatic reconnects, because I am a deaf user who uses IM like a telephone and requires 24/7 always-on instant messaging.

No public versions were released between Version 1.48 through 1.70, because there were numerous bugs coming up with automatic reconnects, and you can probably blame the delay between 1.48 and 1.70 on me, because I've probably sent 50 logfiles to PDAApps (I am running 1.79 now, and it has a debugging send-logfile capability)

I beta tested many "alpha" releases such as 1.49, 1.50, 1.51, 1.52, 1.53, 1.54, and so on, all the way through 1.79. Sometimes they skipped a few point releases, but I often got almost every point release, and I sent a big email with each release (So I've probably sent over 30 big emails to PDAApps.... a responsibility a good beta tester should have!)

Also, license information is fixed now. Version 1.78 now keeps the license information when upgrading. It was a bug in earlier versions to lose license information when installing newer versions. So when you install newer versions on top of 1.78, it should now keep your license information.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #25
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Mark,

I'm aware of the configurations and I have configured each one already... I get background but no foreground notifications.

I thought perhaps this may be a known issue... same problem on a 7510 we have running 1.78. My 7100 is running 1.70

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 01-29-2005, 06:20 AM   #26
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

rcg:
Go to VeriChat->Click Thumbwheel->Preferences and set both "Idle" settings to 0. I prefer being alerted on every single message, so I have both of these settings set to 0.

If this fixes the problem, then problem solved.
If this does not fix the problem, congratulations, you've found a Verichat bug. I'll report this to support[at]pdaapps.com (...However, I am unable to reproduce it -- I have foreground alerting working fine after I configure Preferences to 0...can you do this test first. Thanks!)

Can you post and let me know if this helps!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #27
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
AWESOME. What an amazing accomplishment from this firm.
I've been addicted long-enough to figure out the email features of the BB, and the advantages of using email. I use email now for short communications, instead of being plugged-in to a phone, and for long-bursts when I'm not behind my PC, or don't want to be behind it. But I've never tried IM. This has been my main stumbling block:

Do your contacts have to be connected to IM such as Verichat, in order to receive messages from you if you're using Verichat? Do they have to be expecting an IM from you in order for you to be sure they'll see your IM? If I have someone's email address, for example, I can be fairly certain she'll receive my email soon. Can I expect this certainty with an IM message?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #28
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

IM is a realtime chatting system, not an email system.

An IM chat is typed on the keyboard and looks like this:
Quote:
Mark: Hello!
Smith: hey back
Mark: Did you hear about the new BlackBerry model?
Smith: What model?
Mark: The new model 7290.
Mark: That one has a much better screen!
Smith: Wow, is that the model with 32 megs?
Mark: Yep
Smith: I think I'll ditch my 6210 next month
Smith: I was unable to roam internationally with it
Mark: I agree, get rid of 6210. You'll also get Bluetooth too, and a 2-step backlight too
If you are not into realtime chatting, then IM is not for you, and VeriChat is not for you.

VeriChat is simply a wireless version of Microsoft's own MSN Messenger / Windows Messenger / AOL's own AOL Instant Messenger / ICQ Messenger / Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Yes, the person must be connected to the IM network to get your message. But if they're connected, they see your message instantly -- like a text version of a telephone conversation! Can save money if you're roaming data.

But if you've never used IM before, you may want to get familiar with Microsoft Windows Messenger first. Click Start Menu, Windows Messenger, and set up an MSN account. Chat to your sister or coworker. If you like it, then get Verichat for the wireless version of the same experience.

You have to be familiar with how IM works.

Example: Many kids like to run IM all the time while they're doing homework. So if you see them signed on (you can often find out by running Microsoft Windows Messenger under Windows, or by running Verichat on BlackBerry), send a hello. If they respond within 3 seconds, that means they are at their computer.

Treat IM like a phone call.
- An IM contact being offline is the same thing as "no answer"
- An IM contact not responding to your "hello" is the same thing as "away from computer, I'll read your message later"
- An IM contact responding to your hello is the same thing as a live telephone conversation.

Use email when you they must read the message eventually.
Use IM when you want immediate realtime 2-way chat talk via keyboard.

Sometimes people prefer to chat by IM because it's easier to talk to 3 people simultaneously at the same time. (Yes, you heard me right. People like me do that -- just by having 3 separate windows -- side-by-side) Or that it is easier to multitask or listen to music while chatting by keyboard. And because you can have 100 people logged onto your IM Buddy List, it becomes easier to co-ordiate events between friends if they are all logged on at the same time.

However, if you are not used to IM -- you might not like it. I use IM for business, for friends, for family, and for meeting new people online, including talking to forum members.

It's also a more anonymous way of making a phone call. For example, people often ask someone for their help, but don't want to give a phone number. Instead, they give an IM address and start a chat immediately. The IM address is easily disposable and blockable on one click, if something goes wrong. You can even create 100 IM addresses, and use them like disposable phone numbers if you want.

And roaming voice is usually more expensive than roaming data, so chatting by IM is usually cheaper than talking by telephone.

IM is very popular among the young generation rather than the older generation; however, I do use it a lot to talk to family members.

As a related note, also because I am hearing impaired, IM revolutionized deaf communications in North America during the late 1990s, and has made TDD/TTY's almost extinct except for calling businesses. Many deaf people no longer own TDD/TTY's (text telephones) because of Microsoft Messenger and because of places like AT&T www.relaycall.com .... Just an interesting factoid!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #29
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Thanks Mark. I won't feel so stupid listening to you guys talk about this stuff anymore.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #30
deltaecho

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am a nextel 7520 user of verichat. I would like share my observations on how well this 1.78 version runs in comparison to older version. Prior to this, I would say that web messenger had the upper hand in terms of reliably. With this release, there has been *HUGE* improvements in terms of reliability and performance for verichat. I can now receive and make called while verichat is running. So far it seems to takes care of disconnecting / reconnecting when the voice portion of the phone is in use. This in my opinion make is the hands-down best IM app for the bb.

Here are my initial findings:

1. I can run verichat while running other apps (like reqwireless webview, ssh, etc.) with out getting the "max connections opened" error.

2. While on verichat I can receive phone calls most of the time. Prior to this, most calls when straight to vmail with out ringing the phone.

3. After receiving a call or making a call verichat seem to do a pretty good job of reconnecting to the IM networks.

4. It seem be much more stable running for long periods of times. I don’t find myself exiting the app and restarting to get the IM networks connected.

5. Its seems to be more battery friendly. Doesn’t drain battery as quickly as before.

6. Messages that are sent while talking on phone (so far short conversions 1 - 2 mins) seem to come though when the voice call is ended.

7. So far it has not hosed my bb's internet connection. Prior to this I would end up having to remove the bb's batter to get network running again.

If you were having trouble with prior releases, I would really recommend giving it another shot. It now seems that *reliable* always on IM is now an option for bb users.

:D
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #31
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

deltaecho,

Glad to know that you're very happy with this Verichat release!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #32
bobh261

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but every time I install an upgrade, I have to reenter all my license info. Is this supposed to happen?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #33
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

That's normal for older versions before 1.78.

The problem was fixed in 1.78, but if you were running an older version than 1.78, you will have to re-enter your license information. Just email the license information to yourself, and save it in your BlackBerry Saved Folder. Then you can copy-and-paste the license information using the BlackBerry copy-and-paste feature.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:30 AM   #34
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Good news!

I was able to run Verichat 1.86 beta for 75 hours nonstop, without manually reconnecting, and without quitting and restarting! This finally beats WebMessenger's reliability records for me.

If you are a registered user, you may be able to obtain version 1.86 from them. They are currently rewriting Verichat to use a single-socket model that uses even less bandwidth. So it may be a while before the next version of Verichat, but you fully-registered users probably can obtain 1.86 upon request.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:59 AM   #35
ipxpert

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Never mind..... i got it! This program rocks!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #36
Lucky Luciano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

For some reason whenever I set my status to away in verichat 1.78 it seems to only stay that way for a short period of time. Whenever I go back into the program my status is always set back to online. This is very frustrating especially when I'm driving or something and can't respond the the IMs flooding in because people see my status change from away to online. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #37
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Sent this report by email to PDAapps.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #38
Lucky Luciano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Thanks for sending the report, I am very impressed with this software other than the status problem I was having. I was considering webmessenger for some time and I'm glad I waited to invest because if they can clear up this little problem for me I'll definitely sign up for Verichat instead.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #39
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Does Verichat import your buddy list from AIM & Yahoo each time you sign on or do you need to set up your buddy list seperately on the blackberry?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #40
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

The buddy list is automatically imported.
Closed Thread