BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #41
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

I am using WattPad and it works very good. I have downloaded about 9 books for my upcoming trip
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #42
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder33cat View Post
Yeah, I know about the free ones, and I've taken advantage of that. My somewhat unrealistic complaint is more about the ones I've purchased from Ereader. I didn't really expect that I could convert them, I just wish I could.
Boy I tried doing a little Googling for ya and people really don't like this eReader format - "evil" was seen more than one time in passing. :-/ It appears it's also DRM encumbered (well only specific books of course) which further causes people problems decoding it. Not a pretty landscape for this format...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #43
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Boy I tried doing a little Googling for ya and people really don't like this eReader format - "evil" was seen more than one time in passing. :-/ It appears it's also DRM encumbered (well only specific books of course) which further causes people problems decoding it. Not a pretty landscape for this format...
Agreed on all accounts. The problem is (and again this may be because I haven't had to look - as I had a WM PDA) is that alot of the mainstream (non-scifi) literature has been difficult to find electronically except at eReader.

On the Palm and WM platform, I have no issues with eReader - it does (did) what I needed it to do.

Now, I just want mainstream eBooks for my Blackberry. I will continue my quest.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #44
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Agreed on all accounts. The problem is (and again this may be because I haven't had to look - as I had a WM PDA) is that alot of the mainstream (non-scifi) literature has been difficult to find electronically except at eReader.

On the Palm and WM platform, I have no issues with eReader - it does (did) what I needed it to do.

Now, I just want mainstream eBooks for my Blackberry. I will continue my quest.
I wandered through the Mobipocket bookstore and was pleased to find that some of the selections I was most missing were available there. I purchased them and am as pleased as punch now.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #45
toemaytoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: fido
Default Mobipocket blues

I've been a user of mobipocket for some time now and I am frustrated for the first time. They have an upgrade that I performed and since then I can't load any books, it sometimes freezes my blackberry (8700g) and I am not getting much help from mobipocket at all. I've done the delete and re-install so many times that I just give up. I've tried reloading an earlier version but I get the same issues regardless of version. It almost makes me wonder if there are files lingering in my blackberry that don't delete or something. I don't know, I just wish the damned thing would work, I am a voracious reader and I'm feeling stuck. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #46
gomobi

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
Are there any ebook readers for Blackberry? I'm wanting to move to BB from Palm but don't relish the thought of losing my Ebooks.

Thanks.
If you mean ebooks in the pdb format for Palm, you can try Anyview, which support pdb, umd, txt and html.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #47
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomobi View Post
If you mean ebooks in the pdb format for Palm, you can try Anyview, which support pdb, umd, txt and html.
Mobipocket handles the same, I think - and it's also free. However neither Anyview or Mobipocket can convert .pdb files from eReader.com.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #48
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemaytoe View Post
I've been a user of mobipocket for some time now and I am frustrated for the first time. They have an upgrade that I performed and since then I can't load any books, it sometimes freezes my blackberry (8700g) and I am not getting much help from mobipocket at all. I've done the delete and re-install so many times that I just give up. I've tried reloading an earlier version but I get the same issues regardless of version. It almost makes me wonder if there are files lingering in my blackberry that don't delete or something. I don't know, I just wish the damned thing would work, I am a voracious reader and I'm feeling stuck. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Have you tried uninstalling through the app loader? I've noticed that Mobipocket seems to be very messy during uninstall and install, such that I have multiple versions even in the app loader (which I cannot remove). That said (and knock on wood), I am not having any issues with the current version.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #49
gameboy213
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

mobipocket works great for me on the bb.... yes I don't like them, but it works. Now if they could just get there crap together and make a MAC client I would like them again.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #50
toemaytoe

Quote:
Have you tried uninstalling through the app loader? I've noticed that Mobipocket seems to be very messy during uninstall and install, such that I have multiple versions even in the app loader (which I cannot remove). That said (and knock on wood), I am not having any issues with the current version.
Yes, I have tried both ways. Often when I try to re-install, the app loader doesn't even have it showing in the install. It's just turned into a real mess and I'm pretty frustrated. If there was another ebook reader of any quality available I would go for it.
Interestingly, I am posting the issue on the mobipocket forum and they are working on it although I don't hear too much from them. It's been weeks and there are plenty of people who are running into the same or similar issue. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the recent upgrade to the latest OS for blackberry that I performed a few months ago. I didn't run into these kinds of issues prior to the upgrade. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #51
toemaytoe

Well, still no luck on the mobipocket issue. I've tried downgrading my BB operating system with no luck. I still haven't heard from mobipocket although I am sure that they are looking for an answer. In the meantime I am really frustrated because I want to be able to read a book on my bb and I can't. Is there any other reader out there that I can load and use while I wait for mobipocket to solve the problem?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #52
Olnex

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Optus
Default If your device support J2ME

You could try MTextReader:
MTextReader - A convenient Java phone text reader

Here is some screenshots:

Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #53
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olnex View Post
You could try MTextReader:
Hi, thanks for posting - did you try this on a BlackBerry? It fails to launch on my 8320 with "Error starting MTextReader: Module "MTextReader" has verification error 2916 at offset 192d".

Here's the device debug log:

S Java Exception - RuntimeException - 2/11 20:12:28
a System - Error starting MTextReader: Module 'MTextReader' has verification error 2916 at offset 192d - 2/11 20:12:28
a System - Linker error: 'VerifyError' for MTextReader - 2/11 20:12:26
a System - Module 'MTextReader' has verification error 2916 at offset 192d - 2/11 20:12:26
a System - VM:VECMm=f() - 2/11 20:12:26
a System - VM:VECCs=d - 2/11 20:12:26
a System - VM:VECPs=mtextreader.a. - 2/11 20:12:26
a System - VM:UNDF javax.microedition.io.file.FileSystemRegistry,java x.microedition.io.file.FileConnection - 2/11 20:12:25
a System - VM:LINK MTextReader - 2/11 20:12:25
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #54
Olnex

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Optus
Default Two possibilities

1 You J2ME VM does not has JSR 75 support, MTextReader needs JSR 75 to access local data(for text files)
2 You disabled local access for unauthorised J2ME app, default is everytime J2ME app access your local data, you will be prompted and you can choose accpet or refuse, however, you can set it as always disabled without asking
Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #55
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olnex View Post
1 You J2ME VM does not has JSR 75 support, MTextReader needs JSR 75 to access local data(for text files)
All the 83xx and 81xx BlackBerry devices have JSR75 support, the FileConnection class works for other applications on my device. I have the 8320 with OS 4.2.2.180. This is not the problem.

Quote:
2 You disabled local access for unauthorised J2ME app, default is everytime J2ME app access your local data, you will be prompted and you can choose accpet or refuse, however, you can set it as always disabled without asking
My permissions for MTextReader are set to 'Allow' for all data, everywhere. This is not the problem.

I have heard it mentioned from other J2ME developers that the problem with "verification error" errors might be because of the obsfucation used when compiling your JAR; can you alter/change/disable the obsfucation method(s) for us to try?

This same problem happens with some (not all, just some) J2ME applications found on getjar.com, which is where I contacted other developers and they mentioned the obsfucation problem.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #56
rivviepop

Thanks for the unobsfucated build in email - unfortunately it also crashes on startup with a verification error again. The log is a bit different this time though:

S Java Exception - RuntimeException - 2/13 10:11:17
a System - Error starting nofMTextReader: Module 'nofMTextReader' has verification error 2916 at offset 0399 - 2/13 10:11:17
a System - Linker error: 'VerifyError' for nofMTextReader - 2/13 10:11:15
a System - Module 'nofMTextReader' has verification error 2916 at offset 0399 - 2/13 10:11:15
a System - VM:VECMm=showCurrentFolder() - 2/13 10:11:15
a System - VM:VECCs=BrowserSl - 2/13 10:11:15
a System - VM:VECPs=mtextreader.ui. - 2/13 10:11:15
a System - VM:UNDF javax.microedition.io.file.FileSystemRegistry,java x.microedition.io.file.FileConnection - 2/13 10:11:14
a System - VM:LINK nofMTextReader - 2/13 10:11:14

I'm not up on my J2ME debugging, but it looks like showCurrentFolder() is the API call that's triggering the error, right?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #57
martiny

Model: 8700
Carrier: youdontneedtoKnow

A vote here for WattPad. At least it installed, whereas Mobipocket reader just messed up my curve.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #58
tecnofront

Model: 8310
Carrier: vodafone

Download the free Mobipocket eBook Reader software to read on your PDA and Smartphone.

who it seeks it finds ;)

Last edited by tecnofront; 03-31-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #59
Cammer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Since switching from Palm to BB I'm finding that the only thing I miss is eReader. I have a lot of books that are no longer accessible to me. Mobipocket has been working well for me, but they don't seem to have as large of a selection as eReader. The eReader website states that they are working on a BB compatible version, but no ETA is given.

Mobipocket works just fine on my 8330 Curve.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #60
jlamarca

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I really don't like Mobi Pocket - are there any other eBook readers that work? So far, I can't get MobiPocket to make annotations on my BB. It would also be VERY nice to have an auto scroll feature. FYI, I've also installed WattPad but it also seems quirky.
Closed Thread