Old 06-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #21
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Default Thanks

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbieber
I have found that you need to have some additional perl modules installed. CGI.pm & File-Temp. I used CGI.pm-3.0.8.tar.gz & File-Temp-0.16.tar.gz
They don’t seem standard on a generic RedHat install.
I hope this helps.

Brian

Thanks Brain I just installed both of them and I was able to test the CGI.pm and it came back saying I had 3.10 which is what I installed. So that install seemed to work. Also installed the File-Temp as per the release notes and it seemed to install ok also but still getting the same messages from my earlier post.

I might be doing something wrong not that good with Linux yet. But figured it is easier to install bbcorrector on Linux than a Novell Server.

I also did not modify the BBCorrectorServer.cgi since it seemed fine for the perl path, and aspell seems to run from any directory I try.

Thanks,

Ted
Old 06-26-2005, 08:11 AM   #22
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default PHP instead of Perl

If anyone is interested in running the server with PHP instead of Perl, I translated BBCorrectorServer.cgi from Perl into PHP as BBCorrectorServer.php.

I've tested it for awhile now and had no problems with it but I'm not an expert in Perl or PHP. The script works just like the cgi version. It takes the input text from the blackberry through _POST and writes it to a temp file on the server which then gets opened in aspell. The output of aspell is then formatted, written in xml and sent back to the blackberry.

PHP Code:
<?php
    $text 
$_POSTxxx91;'check'xxx93;;

if ( 
$text == NULL )

$text $_GETxxx91;'check'xxx93;;

$tmpFile tempnam("/""bbCorrector");

$aspellcmd "cat $tmpFile | aspell -a";

//Remove extra escape backslashes that were added by PHP

$text stripslashes($text);

if (
$mFile fopen($tmpFile,"w")) {

$textArray explode("\n",$text);

// Force Aspell to check whole line via ! ^ contol character

fwrite($mFile,"!\n");
        foreach(
$textArray as $key=>$value) {

fwrite($mFile,"^$value\n"strlen($value) + 2);
        }
    }

fclose($mFile);

$mAspellOutput shell_exec($aspellcmd);

//Delete temp file

$mDeleteOutput unlink($tmpFile);

//parse $mAspellOutput

$mAspellOutputArray explode("\n",$mAspellOutput);

$xmlPacket "<spell-results>";

$lineIdx = -1;

$charCount 0;

foreach(
$mAspellOutputArray as $key=>$value) {
        if (
substr($value,0,1) == "&") { //There is an error with suggestion

$corVals explode(" ",$value);

$word $corValsxxx91;1xxx93;;

$posAbsolute substr($corValsxxx91;3xxx93;,0,-1) - $charCount;

$startPos strpos($value,":") + 2;

$suggestion substr($value,$startPos);

$suggestionArray explode(", ",$suggestion);

// Start error element

$xmlPacket .= "<error>";

// Add word element which contains original misspelled word

$xmlPacket .= "<word>$word</word>";

$xmlPacket .= "<position>$posAbsolute</position>";

// Add each suggestion

foreach ($suggestionArray as $key=>$value) {

$xmlPacket .= "<suggest>$value</suggest>";
            }

// Close error element

$xmlPacket .= "</error>";
        }
        elseif (
substr($value,0,1) == "#") { //There is an error but no suggestion

$corVals explode(" ",$value);

$word $corValsxxx91;1xxx93;;

$posAbsolute$corValsxxx91;2xxx93; - 1;

// Start error element

$xmlPacket .= "<error>";

// Add word element which contains original misspelled word

$xmlPacket .= "<word>$word</word>";

$xmlPacket .= "<position>$posAbsolute</position>";

// Close error element

$xmlPacket .= "</error>";
        }
        elseif (
substr($value,0,1) == "*") {//No error

}
        elseif (
substr($value,0,1) == "@") {//Apsell About Line

}
        else {

$lineIdx++;

$charCount += strlen($textArrayxxx91;$lineIdxxxx93;) + 1;
        }
    }

$xmlPacket .= "</spell-results>\n";

print 
$xmlPacket;
?>

Last edited by tateu; 06-27-2005 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: Fixed some PHP code
Old 06-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #23
bbieber
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

Ted,
I am not sure this is the problem. I have found when I transferred the BBCorrectorServer.cgi file from my windows box to my Linux box I needed to transfer in ASCII mode instead of Binary mode. For some reason that made a difference.
Brian
Old 06-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #24
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Nextel

All .cgi and .php files must be transferred in ascii mode or they will not work.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #25
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Ascii

I downloaded the BBCorrectorServer.zip directory to the Linux box and than copied the cgi file to the cgi-bin directory I didn't transfer through ftp and I also did it as root.

Just not having much luck setting it up under Redhat 9 is there another flavor of Linux that might be suited better for the BBCorrectorServer? I don't have a problem blowing away the Redhat it is just an extra server. Once it is running just taking an image of the box and making it a public BBCorrectorServer open to all that want to use it.

Hope to have it up and running soon was using bbspell the freeware version once in awhile so can't justify the yearly costs when I have a dedicated connection, static IP, and 4 domain names and an extra server that I can run it on. The only cost I will have is the time trying to get it working

Thanks for your help,

Ted
Old 06-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #26
bbieber
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

Ted,
I cannot recommend an operating system. I have gotten it to work on RHEL 4 WS & ES, and SUSE 9.2
I have not experimented with other operating systems.
Brian
Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #27
mistrfree

With my bbcorrector setup, it was very simple. I have a linux box, kernel 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp, Perl 5.8.0. Just upped the scripted chmod to 755 and all is well. The defaults in the script were inline with my server, so i didnt have to modify anything.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 AM   #28
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrfree
With my bbcorrector setup, it was very simple. I have a linux box, kernel 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp, Perl 5.8.0. Just upped the scripted chmod to 755 and all is well. The defaults in the script were inline with my server, so i didnt have to modify anything.

Thats exactly what I want to be able to do. Who is the distro for the Linux version you are using?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #29
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

I troubleshooted the 500 Internal error and came up with it being a problem with the file. I origanally downloaded the file on my linux box as root and unzipped it to the cgi-bin directory, and even tried to copy from one directory to the other also.

I didn't think I would have to ftp the program since I was working on the box it was going to, but I was wrong once the file was on my Novell Server I ftp'd to the Novell box from linux terminal set to acsii and transfered the file over right to the cgi-bin directory. Than chmod'ed it 755 and it worked fine.

So anyone else that might try it just make sure you ftp it to the box and not unzip from linux.

Just doing some backups on the system and than will post the domain for a public bbcorrector server.

Thanks for all your help,

Ted
Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #30
supermanfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default Public BBCorrector Server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin
Ok, in the other thread, it was mentioned that for BBCorrector to work, you need a CGI capable server to connect BBCorrector (formerly BBSpellCheck, not to be confused with another product called bbSpell) to.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be willing to set up a server through my hosting for Blackberryforums members, assuming the bandwidth requirement isn't astronomical (like, over 5-10GB/month).
Does anyone have a public server available for use?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #31
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanfan
Does anyone have a public server available for use?

Thanks.

Actually I just finished it up and it is online right now for anyone to use.
Just have to install the bbcorrector program to your BB and use this for the server URL:

"http://www.rebreathertech.com:81/cgi-bin/BBCorrectorServer,cgi"

Username and password leave blank if you have a nextel you will also have to check the disable MDS proxy in the configuration.

Also the URL is case sensitive so enter it exactly as above or you will get a 404 error
Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #32
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I installed this and when I tried to go to your site via BB it says i am not authorized to view this page error 403. I composed an e-mail with obvious mistakes and no option to correct came up, please direct me to a place where there are instructions for it thanks.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #33
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I installed this and when I tried to go to your site via BB it says i am not authorized to view this page error 403. I composed an e-mail with obvious mistakes and no option to correct came up, please direct me to a place where there are instructions for it thanks.

Are you on a BES? Also what model BB do you have? Did you try to turn off your firewall and also check the MDS box?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #34
KonTiki

I have a 7250 and BWC. Firewall disabled and still cannot get in says access denied.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #35
KonTiki

I now see the spelling option but it still does not do the check. I wish there were instructions. Like for example do i need to have a browser open to the server while i do the check, or since i saw in the download a file folder called server does that mean i have to install a server at my machine? Help

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 07-13-2005 at 08:34 PM..
Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #36
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I now see the spelling option but it still does not do the check. I wish there were instructions. Like for example do i need to have a browser open to the server while i do the check, or since i saw in the download a file folder called server does that mean i have to install a server at my machine? Help

It's a very simple and plain program. You should see a icon with a "Aa" on the main screen of your blackberry. All that has to be done there is to put in a URL. On the 7520's they have to check the disable MDS proxy.

I did check both server's log files and I did see someone was hitting the wrong server so maybe that was you if your hitting my other server it will give an access denied for sure. The URL HAS to have the port in it :81 without that port it will goto the WRONG server.

The correct URL that has to be entered EXACTLY (Yes even case senitive).

Code:
http://www.rebreathertech.com:81/cgi-bin/BBCorrectorServer.cgi
This is on a Linux box so if you put in a small b instead of a capital B you will also get an error message. If you forget to put in the :81 you will goto another one of my servers and it will give you an error as well.

There is no username or password for the site leave them blank.

Once you put in the URL and set that up I have that icon hidden, than go into memo pad, email and test it you can start typing than click in the track wheel you will see Spelling click that and it should connect to my server and check the spelling for you and than return with any spelling errors underlined.
If something is spelled wrong move to that word with the track wheel and click the wheel in than select suggest spelling. From there you can scroll down and find the right spelling.

Let me know how you make out,

Ted
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #37
KonTiki

Smile

Ted thanks for your response, I am still trying, I have checked and rechecked the spelling and the case for the server URL. It is 100% correct. If I try to get in through the browser to the sight I get the same 403 error still, If I try to correct a document I am getting something that says:"BBCorrector Error: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP".
So anything I should do I would appreciate very much. Thanks for the explanation above, I do have the icon with the Aa, since mine is not a 7520 (It is actually the 7250 from Verizon, i have left the MDS unchecked, though I have tried it both ways).

*******UPDATE*******UPDATE******

After retyping the URL again making sure it was correct and case sensitive, i decided to once again go in and try it with the MDS checked since it had just not worked with it unchecked,and it worked.

*******SO MORAL OF THE STORY IS THAT THE 7250 FROM VERIZON ALSO NEEDS THE MDS CHECKED******

THANKS A BUNCH TED

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 07-14-2005 at 09:26 AM..
Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #38
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ted thanks for your response, I am still trying, I have checked and rechecked the spelling and the case for the server URL. It is 100% correct. If I try to get in through the browser to the sight I get the same 403 error still, If I try to correct a document I am getting something that says:"BBCorrector Error: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP".
So anything I should do I would appreciate very much. Thanks for the explanation above, I do have the icon with the Aa, since mine is not a 7520 (It is actually the 7250 from Verizon, i have left the MDS unchecked, though I have tried it both ways).

*******UPDATE*******UPDATE******

After retyping the URL again making sure it was correct and case sensitive, i decided to once again go in and try it with the MDS checked since it had just not worked with it unchecked,and it worked.

*******SO MORAL OF THE STORY IS THAT THE 7250 FROM VERIZON ALSO NEEDS THE MDS CHECKED******

THANKS A BUNCH TED
You are very welcome just glad to help out....Enjoy
Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #39
hby123

Model: 7290
Default is te server still up?

I tried the spelling function and it gave me an error "could not open tunnel - failed"
thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #40
justelise
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700c

Is it possible to configure this to work if you're not on a BES? If so how would I go about configuring my BB to work correctly. I have the software installed on my 8700c and when I try to do a spell check I get the following error:

BBCorrector Error: could not open tunnel - failed

I am on Cingular using their BIS service. I would appreciate any and all help.
Closed Thread