defcon2030

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 9530 - Can't upgrade to 5.0 OS

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry Storm 9530
current OS - v4.7.0.148 (3G, CDMA)

When I connected to Blackberry desktop, detected new OS available, waited to download all modules then says:

"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

it takes about 40 minutes to get to that stage so i'm getting a little frustrated. any suggestions?

running Vista Ultimate 32-bit (if it matters)

NOTE:
Blackberry Desktop Manager version: 5.0.0.11 [Jul 1 2009]

Last edited by defcon2030; 10-26-2009 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: additional Info:
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

This happened to me the 2nd time, when I got the Core Services update notice and installed (again?) Luckily I'd done a full backup prior to the first one. I guess you could always try clearing the browser cache...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Yes this has happened to me as well. I had to do a complete wipe using JL Cmdr first and then was able to perform the upgrade (it went fine using DM v5).
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Daddy_J

Model: Storm

I had the same problem last night. You can download the 5.0 to your computer first. The link is here on the forums. You can either follow the instructions on that link on how to install, or after you install it, go back into your desktop manager. Select update system. You'll need to unckeck the first 5.0 and select the second. The top one will still try and download it from the internet. That's how I got mine installed, and it's great so far! Feels like I got a new phone!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I would recommend NOT using DM to upgrade, but using Loader.exe.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

js,

What's the difference? Less overhead? I used DM and it went as smooth as silk, but if loader is the better way to go, I'll go that way in the future.

Thx
Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
jcpom
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR View Post
js,

What's the difference? Less overhead? I used DM and it went as smooth as silk, but if loader is the better way to go, I'll go that way in the future.

Thx
Ditto (on silky smooth DM) for me.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Just my 2 cents.

I have transitioned through the various 4.7 betas and now two of the 5.0 OS builds. I ran across a thread on Crackberry which encouraged a "wipe" when transitioning to a new OS build.

I downloaded Blackberry Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK), which is a very useful program. It allows you to back up your third party apps, which are lost during a wipe. I also use the DM to back up files, such as phone list, BB contacts, etc. Then I wipe the phone using BBSAK, which is quick. I then load the new OS build using BBSAK, which basically hijacks the Apploader program. So you are in essence using the apploader.exe program when using BBSAK.

When I use the DM to restore my files, I only restore the phone / BB contacts but not my settings. I read in the thread that its better not to. So I manually go back and set them up, which is not to much of a PITA.

To me a "wipe" makes sense. Cleaning out the drive for a fresh install and less danger of retaining any random bits of garbage that will cause conflicts. So far this rationale has served me well.

No some will disagree because using the Apploader pretty much does everything for you in one move. However you don't get the wipe. But, if you are seeking optimal performance from your phone, I argue in favor of a wipe and the extra effort.

BBSAK is a freebie on the RIM Geeks website, an easy Google. So give it a try and see if it resolves your issue. I think it will.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 10-28-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I have transitioned through the various 4.7 betas and now two of the 5.0 OS builds. I ran across a thread on Crackberry which encouraged a "wipe" when transitioning to a new OS build.

I downloaded Blackberry Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK), which is a very useful program. It allows you to back up your third party apps, which are lost during a wipe. I also use the DM to back up files, such as phone list, BB contacts, etc. Then I wipe the phone using BBSAK, which is quick. I then load the new OS build using BBSAK, which basically hijacks the Apploader program. So you are in essence using the apploader.exe program when using BBSAK.

When I use the DM to restore my files, I only restore the phone / BB contacts but not my settings. I read in the thread that its better not to. So I manually go back and set them up, which is not to much of a PITA.

To me a "wipe" makes sense. Cleaning out the drive for a fresh install and less danger of retaining any random bits of garbage that will cause conflicts. So far this rationale has served me well.

No some will disagree because using the Apploader pretty much does everything for you in one move. However you don't get the wipe. But, if you are seeking optimal performance from your phone, I argue in favor of a wipe and the extra effort.

BBSAK is a freebie on the RIM Geeks website, an easy Google. So give it a try and see if it resolves your issue. I think it will.
Are you saying your third party apps are not restored? I've only seen that with Facebook, otherwise I have to enter a few passwords, etc. Other than that, all my 3rd parties come back without a hitch.

And thanks for the heads up on BBSAK, I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yes, third party apps were restored with my 9530 upgrade.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

When you conduct a "wipe" your third party apps are removed. The DM does not back them up.

I use BBSAK to back up my third party apps.

HOWEVER - when you reinstall them, it is best to locate where BBSAK stores them and reinstall each one individually (.cod files). If you do not, BBSAK restores them as a bundle. Everything will run fine, but if you update any of those apps in your bundle it will collectively erase all the apps and update just the one. You are left with just the one app you updates and a host of other problems. One I am trying to remedy now...

Verizon 9530
Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

BBSAK is indeed a handy tool. To avoid the issue mentioned above, here is how to manually backup your third party applications.

How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 10-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
KD0FLC

Model: 9650
PIN: One... Two... Three... Four...

Worked for me just fine on DM
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
gkr_Tbone

Carrier: verizon

I updated today. I used the Blackberry manager and I had no problems at all. I have several applications from the "apps world" and they all were restored.
I find the context switching to be MUCH faster and was quite happy. Tried playing videos and the slider controls for pause etc will no appear and disappear with a tap (build 148 wouldn't do this at all). then tried to show video to someone and the Storm locked up totally and I had to do a battery pull. Sigh. Still not perfect. And only a year to get to the point where it is starting to get competitive.
GKR
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr_Tbone View Post
I updated today. I used the Blackberry manager and I had no problems at all. I have several applications from the "apps world" and they all were restored.
I find the context switching to be MUCH faster and was quite happy. Tried playing videos and the slider controls for pause etc will no appear and disappear with a tap (build 148 wouldn't do this at all). then tried to show video to someone and the Storm locked up totally and I had to do a battery pull. Sigh. Still not perfect. And only a year to get to the point where it is starting to get competitive.
GKR
Vid controls show up for me and they work better than in 4.7
Closed Thread