BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers
Default HOW TO: hide photographs/videos/media that you don't want people to see.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys and gals. Long time BB user, don't do much posting though. I have noticed (and searched for myself) several posts about password protecting media files that you would prefer people not to see

While I have not found a way to password protect them, I have found a way to hide them from 99% of people who may be browsing your BB. You will need your computer to do this. Although some of it might be possible to do via the handheld, its just plain easier with a computer

Step one: plug your BB into your computer, and enable the media mass storage mode. Click start (windows XP) and then run. Type explorer in the window and then hit enter. (this is NOT Internet Explorer) Vista users click the "button" and select accessories and then windows explorer. Now navigate through my computer until you fiond your BB media card.

Step two: Create a new folder on your media card. Call it whatever you want. I chose to call mine "Hidden". I then moved all my "personal" media from the pictures/videos folders in to the new Hidden folder (drag and drop). Not hidden yet though, as they will still show up after a scan of media. Just make sure the computer doesnt "copy" the files, but that it "moves" them. If it left the files in the original folders as well as the new folder, go back and delete the originals. When you're done, right click on the "hidden" folder and select "properties" and then check the box that says "hidden". This command hides the folder from your BB and windows.

All files should be hidden now if you open media on your BB.

Now I know you're gonna ask, well WTF good is that now? I can't see any of them pics/videos...wrong. You just have to dig a bit.

How to view the files:

Open media on your BB. Before clicking into photos or videos or voicenotes, click the BB button. Select explore and navigate to the media card. Now click the BB button again and select "show hidden". Your hidden files will show up (greyed out) but they are still clickable and watchable. When you're done, unselect "show hidden" and they will disappear again.

How to view files on a computer.

Next time you connect your BB to your computer the folder will still be hidden. In order to see them you must open windows explorer again, select folder options, and then select "show hidden files and folders". You can then add or remove files from that folder.

I have tested this on both 4.5 and 4.6 I'm just not sure about 4.1-4.2

Hopefully it all makes sense

Last edited by Mark PPG; 09-07-2008 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: just tested on 4.2.2 and there is no option to "show hidden" while exploring the media card :(
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
prodigee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Fido (City, Unlimited)

thanks! sounds VERY useful & makes lots of sense!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
andrews240

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I may use this and I don't even know why.....
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Thanks for the info. I still find the easiest way is to create nested folders. Keep in mind the above method will not hide video.

If you want your content to be secure be sure to use a device password.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Mark PPG

Troy, on 4.6 it DOES hide videos and photos.

Not 100% sure about 4.5 and lower.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark PPG View Post
Troy, on 4.6 it DOES hide videos and photos.

Not 100% sure about 4.5 and lower.
Good to know. On 4.5 it still indexes them
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Lord Chrispin

Model: 8530
PIN: EALECTOMY
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

lol thats WAY TOO MUCH work for something so simple........You can do all that on your hand held.Go to your media and select a folder then hit the BB button and select properties then check the hidden option.......................and then to find them do the same thing Mar PPG posted. That Simple
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
scbeachguy

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark PPG View Post
Hi guys and gals. Long time BB user, don't do much posting though. I have noticed (and searched for myself) several posts about password protecting media files that you would prefer people not to see

While I have not found a way to password protect them, I have found a way to hide them from 99% of people who may be browsing your BB. You will need your computer to do this. Although some of it might be possible to do via the handheld, its just plain easier with a computer

Step one: plug your BB into your computer, and enable the media mass storage mode. Click start (windows XP) and then run. Type explorer in the window and then hit enter. (this is NOT Internet Explorer) Vista users click the "button" and select accessories and then windows explorer. Now navigate through my computer until you fiond your BB media card.

Step two: Create a new folder on your media card. Call it whatever you want. I chose to call mine "Hidden". I then moved all my "personal" media from the pictures/videos folders in to the new Hidden folder (drag and drop). Not hidden yet though, as they will still show up after a scan of media. Just make sure the computer doesnt "copy" the files, but that it "moves" them. If it left the files in the original folders as well as the new folder, go back and delete the originals. When you're done, right click on the "hidden" folder and select "properties" and then check the box that says "hidden". This command hides the folder from your BB and windows.

All files should be hidden now if you open media on your BB.

Now I know you're gonna ask, well WTF good is that now? I can't see any of them pics/videos...wrong. You just have to dig a bit.

How to view the files:

Open media on your BB. Before clicking into photos or videos or voicenotes, click the BB button. Select explore and navigate to the media card. Now click the BB button again and select "show hidden". Your hidden files will show up (greyed out) but they are still clickable and watchable. When you're done, unselect "show hidden" and they will disappear again.

How to view files on a computer.

Next time you connect your BB to your computer the folder will still be hidden. In order to see them you must open windows explorer again, select folder options, and then select "show hidden files and folders". You can then add or remove files from that folder.

I have tested this on both 4.5 and 4.6 I'm just not sure about 4.1-4.2

Hopefully it all makes sense
this works in terms of hiding the file on the phone ... however i can not find the option of SHOW HIDDEN FILES for the videos ... I go to Media > BB BUTTON > EXPLORE > MEDIA CARD > and all subfolders I have tried finding the SHOW HIDDEN FILES and nothing is found ... any advice
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Mark PPG

Hmmmm, I no longer have a device with 4.5 on it to see what's up.

What OS are you running?
Closed Thread