Old 03-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon
Default Motorola 'Q'?

Please Login to Remove!

For the past few months I have heard rumblings about Motorola's version of a Blackberry/Treo. It was supposedly derivied from the RAZR lineage, with the sleekness and "cool factor" to be it's main selling points.

From what I have seen/read on it, the plan was for it to run Mobile Windows, and compete directly with the Treo and Blackberry platforms.

My latest issue of 'Fast Company' magazine mentions it in an article about Motorola, but there is no release date mentioned that I saw.

Has anyone seen one of these (even in prototype) and does anyone know when it may (if ever) come to market?

Thanks

Simpson
Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson
For the past few months I have heard rumblings about Motorola's version of a Blackberry/Treo. It was supposedly derivied from the RAZR lineage, with the sleekness and "cool factor" to be it's main selling points.

From what I have seen/read on it, the plan was for it to run Mobile Windows, and compete directly with the Treo and Blackberry platforms.

My latest issue of 'Fast Company' magazine mentions it in an article about Motorola, but there is no release date mentioned that I saw.

Has anyone seen one of these (even in prototype) and does anyone know when it may (if ever) come to market?

Thanks

Simpson
Check the demo on www.phonescoop.com
Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
hnsimpson

TYVM. Looks like it is being released next month on Verizon.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
whsbuss

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson
TYVM. Looks like it is being released next month on Verizon.
There's also talk on phonescoop that on 3/21/06 there will be a "Coming Soon" advertisement on verizonwireless.com
Old 03-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...tachmentid=613
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...tachmentid=614
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...tachmentid=615
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...tachmentid=617
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...tachmentid=619

boygenius posted pics of his Q over 4 months ago, comparing it (in the pictures) to the 8700c...

at the time, the handheld was much larger than the 8700 and the keyboard was not all that impressive, if i remember correctly. i believe there were a lot of complaints from the general layout of the keyboard (keys too small, felt cheap, etc) and the directional keys. maybe Motrola addressed those issues since BG got his hands on one back in November (it was purchased not simply a demo).

Last edited by jibi; 03-20-2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old 03-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

No big changes to the Q...it is very quick, very stable, but compared to blackberry for email it doesn't even compare. Anyone used to activesync for email will understand. The thing i HATE about the Q is that it is smartphone and simple tasks take forever or impossible. Lets say you want to copy and paste... CAN'T DO IT. What if you want to select some text from an email...NOPE. Things like that no touch screen, etc. In terms of competing with the blackberry I have not seen one company come close. The Q also does not at the moment have the AKU2.0 pack which includes "push" email. Something funny is it doesnt change how email is delivered, it just changes the notifications. Now you have SMS triggers, AKU2.0 uses a direct HTTP connection. Ok great the trigger is 10 seconds faster, but you still have to wait for activesync to sync. Such a scam...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

That limitation is found on all Windows Mobile 5.0 devices I believe. I read there should be a ROM upgrade to devices to support the true push Email Microsoft is promising.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
hnsimpson

I was considering this as opposed to an 8700 for my next device (contract up in July).

Leaning towards the 8700 heavily now.

Thanks,

Simpson
Old 03-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

No problem, put it like this, I carry a phone phone, 8700, and the Q. If you only carried one device and did not care about push instant email I would go with Q, if you want all in one. The only limitation i can think of with 8700 compared to Q is true MMS (Camera), and multimedia (Video, MP3s) Plus obviously the aftermarket software which there is a lot of. In regards to the ROM update posted, that is the AKU2.0 i was referring to which still does NOT include true push email, simply changing the way activesync gets notified. Microsoft is a LONG way off. Also the keyboard on the Q sucks...

I will be posting new Q vs 8700 pics in a little bit.

The Boy Genius Report

Last edited by Boy Genius; 03-20-2006 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
hnsimpson

For business purposes I would like to have the stability and reliability of the BlackBerry. The push/instant email is an added bonus, but as long as I can get email checked every 15 minutes without killing the battery I believe that would be fine.

On the other hand, I do have a baby boy on the way, and would love to be able to easily share pictures with the grandparents.

I guess I was hoping the Q would bridge the gap between what I want and what I need.

Simpson
Old 03-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Honestly for what you sound like you need, the Q would probably be a better fit to keep it real. If someone said to me you can choose 8700 or Q I would take 8700 just because how much of an instant email, blackberry messenger freak I am. Are you on an Exchange server? Or will be using POP/IMAP?

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon (soon cxl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
No problem, put it like this, I carry a phone phone, 8700, and the Q. If you only carried one device and did not care about push instant email I would go with Q, if you want all in one. The only limitation i can think of with 8700 compared to Q is true MMS (Camera), and multimedia (Video, MP3s) Plus obviously the aftermarket software which there is a lot of. In regards to the ROM update posted, that is the AKU2.0 i was referring to which still does NOT include true push email, simply changing the way activesync gets notified. Microsoft is a LONG way off. Also the keyboard on the Q sucks...

I will be posting new Q vs 8700 pics in a little bit.

What if I don't need push email or any mms, but like the simplicity and stability of the BB? I have a 7100T and was waiting for either the Q and switching to Verizon or the 8700 on Tmo, what would you reccomend since you use both?

How reliable is the ActiveSync? I had it wil an old Ipaq and it sucked, but that was like 4 years ago.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
hnsimpson

Quote:
Honestly for what you sound like you need, the Q would probably be a better fit to keep it real. If someone said to me you can choose 8700 or Q I would take 8700 just because how much of an instant email, blackberry messenger freak I am. Are you on an Exchange server? Or will be using POP/IMAP?
I will be using POP.

Also, what price point is the Q coming in at?

Simpson
Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

I can't imagine the Q retail to be more than $399-$450...Really depends on your preference, are you more multimedia centric, or more email focused. I find that the BlackBerry browser is faster than any Pocket PC even EV-DO compared to EDGE. Obviously not the speed of the connection but the way it renders and etc. Have tried 8700 on Cingular against Q and Treo700 both on verizon, its 25-30 seconds faster on 8700 on say cnn.com. All in all I can not find something to replace 8700 or blackberry in general, I find myself having devices for the wow factor to show clients etc and never changing my staple blackberry and phone.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #15
hnsimpson

Quote:
I can't imagine the Q retail to be more than $399-$450...Really depends on your preference, are you more multimedia centric, or more email focused. I find that the BlackBerry browser is faster than any Pocket PC even EV-DO compared to EDGE. Obviously not the speed of the connection but the way it renders and etc. Have tried 8700 on Cingular against Q and Treo700 both on verizon, its 25-30 seconds faster on 8700 on say cnn.com. All in all I can not find something to replace 8700 or blackberry in general, I find myself having devices for the wow factor to show clients etc and never changing my staple blackberry and phone.

Concerns I had about the Q are as follows:

1- Reliability- Is this a platform that will be as reliable or nearly as reliable as the Blackberry 7100t I have, or will it fall into the Treo 650, "depends on if you get a good one" category

2- Price- Is the sexiness of the new Q going to price it over my budet

3- Best Choice- Is this just a differently packaged Treo 700? And if so, would I be better served with the Treo 700??

BoyGenius- Thanks for all of your input. Being able to hear it from someon who has actually carried the device makes a difference.
BTW-how did you get your hands on one? I thought they weren't introduced yet?

Simpson
Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

No problem, I represent a ton of high-profile clients and get them what they want.

Reliability-wise I have not seen anything so stable as the blackberry platform. Microsoft has definatly made way with the 5.0 version of Windows Mobile which makes the product definatly usable, but they all still get slow, and require restarts because almost all WM devices I have come across have memory leaks. Round 1 BlackBerry

Pricing should be about the same price of 8700c when it launched, retail was $450, Q should be that or a little less.

Smartphone (Q) and Treo700w (Pocket PC) are the same concept but very different. The smartphone is a skimmed down version of pocket pc, and that means less options, no touchscreen, less aftermarket software, and things like that. Since the Q incorporates a track-wheel and "back" button it makes navigating much easier but still can not compare to a pocket pc. The menus are a lot less graphical and more text based, less settings, etc. Same principle but different. Taking away the wow factor of the Q I would go with the Treo 700w, it is more functional, faster, just has less memory. The Q is 64MB or RAM, Treo is only 32MB. If you can deal with that, then Treo. Why do you want to leave the 8700 for dead so badly?

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
hnsimpson

Quote:
No problem, I represent a ton of high-profile clients and get them what they want.

Reliability-wise I have not seen anything so stable as the blackberry platform. Microsoft has definatly made way with the 5.0 version of Windows Mobile which makes the product definatly usable, but they all still get slow, and require restarts because almost all WM devices I have come across have memory leaks. Round 1 BlackBerry

Pricing should be about the same price of 8700c when it launched, retail was $450, Q should be that or a little less.

Smartphone (Q) and Treo700w (Pocket PC) are the same concept but very different. The smartphone is a skimmed down version of pocket pc, and that means less options, no touchscreen, less aftermarket software, and things like that. Since the Q incorporates a track-wheel and "back" button it makes navigating much easier but still can not compare to a pocket pc. The menus are a lot less graphical and more text based, less settings, etc. Same principle but different. Taking away the wow factor of the Q I would go with the Treo 700w, it is more functional, faster, just has less memory. The Q is 64MB or RAM, Treo is only 32MB. If you can deal with that, then Treo. Why do you want to leave the 8700 for dead so badly?

By no means have I left the 8700 for dead. In fact I love my 7100 and love the Blackberry. Right now it is my choice if it becomes available on the Verizon network. I'm looking at upgrading my device and I just want to know all of my options.

Plus, I *want* a camera in the device, I just want it in a Blackberry, not in an unreliable device.

I also realize that I am posting on a Blackberry Forum, so I expected a bit of a bias towards them over the Treo.

Simpson
Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

No bias. If you only knew my phone collection it would scare you. I am posting from a Treo 700w now. Rumor has it RIM is working on a blackberry that will have an integrated camera so if you can hold out that might be a great device for you. If the camera was the only thing making you lean away from the blackberry I would go with the 700w with ActiveSync on an exchange server or even should I say it...Goodlink. While I would NEVER take it over a BlackBerry it does give you some flexibility with devices and the email is pretty good, not great but better than regular ActiveSync.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

He's not lying. I have a lot of phones (over 20), but his collection puts mine to shame because he has got quality over quantity (though mine is improved over what it used to be).
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
hnsimpson

The fact that you guys are so hands on is exactly what makes this forum so relevent. Just from the posts in this thread I feel like I have shopped the three devices already.

It is great knowing that I can get good real information instead of just a canned sales pitch.

Simpson
Closed Thread