BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
dcpatti
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Question Hard Delete from Outlook--- reconcile to device?

Please Login to Remove!

Good morning!
Not sure if this is possible but here goes!
We have Exchange 2000, BES 4.0, and a mix of 7510, 7520 and 7290 devices. When users delete from Outlook the "normal" way--- select message and click Delete--- and have their device set to Hide Filed Messages, things work as normal and within a few minutes, the action is reflected to their device. However, we have some users who prefer to hard-delete the messages from Outlook. Doing so bypasses the "Deleted Items" folder. Messages deleted this way do not get removed from the device when it reconciles in the background. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
dlautman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

from what I understand, this happens because the BB does not know where the permanently-deleted message "went". If it goes to Deleted Items, it knows it is deleted, but if you skip Deleted Items, the BB does not know what to do with the message.

Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a way to "make this happen". I would recommend your users set their Outlook to empty trash on exit, or create a separate trash folder.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

When BES 4.1 comes out there will be an option to enable reconciliation of hard deletes for the server. I've been beta testing for a while and this feature works great!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
dlautman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mikej, that's pretty neat!

I think some users have similar problems when moving emails from the Exchange mailbox to a local PST--will 4.1 be able to handle that as well?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
dcpatti

Model: 7520

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlautman
I think some users have similar problems when moving emails from the Exchange mailbox to a local PST--will 4.1 be able to handle that as well?
Yes, under 4.1 with the reconcile hard delete option turned on, messages moved to a PST will be deleted from the handheld.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold

jletendre, sorry but you have the hard delete definition wrong. It has nothing to do with emptying your deleted items. A hard delete happens when you drag a message from any of your exchange folders directly to a personal folder. The message is immediatly gone from the exchange server...didn't go to the deleted items folder thus the HARD delete. The other way this occurs is to shift-delete an object from any exchange folder. The item never goes to the deleted items folder but it gone from the server...thus the hard delete. BES 4.1, if enabled, keeps track of the last XX # of messages on behalf of a users and when one is hard deleted, it peforms the action on the message or messages on the BB. This is hard delete reconciliation. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
st0kes

Model: 8700
Carrier: Voda UK

jletendre : so what you're saying is this does not happen automatically, like reconciling of normal deletions. The users will always have to use this purge option?? How disappointing.

I have several users who file items directly into public folders so the 'hard delete' issue is a big deal for them.

Edit: What is the deal with the posts in this thread appearing in the wrong order?? :S
Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
st0kes

Mikej5780: Is there any additional configuration to get this working? I upgraded to 4.1 this week, server has been restarted and it's not working. On my 8700 in Messages > Options > Email Rconciliation, I have set Delete On: to Mailbox and Handheld.

The only way I seem to be able to get hard deleted items to purge on the device is to send myself a message from the bb, delete it, and then 'reconcile now'.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default How it works

Ok .. from using this since I upgraded to 4.1 sp2 this is my take on it:

set your message options to wireless reconcile .. mailbox & handheld

now send yourself 2 messages .. subjects delete outlook / delete blackberry

wait for messages to deliver to both outlook & blackberry

on blackberry delete - delete blackberry msg
on outlook - delete outlook msg

message in outlook should MOVE to deleted folder
message on blackberry should remove from message list

forcing reconcile now only speeds up the move to the deleted folder

now the hard delete is by going into message options / email reconcilation / push in wheel / purge deleted items .. now your deleted are deleted.

It works and is handy when managing your mailbox when out for a few days.

If it doesn't work .. check your BES settings that you put support for Hard Delete to TRUE
Old 11-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
st0kes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre
now the hard delete is by going into message options / email reconcilation / push in wheel / purge deleted items .. now your deleted are deleted.

It works and is handy when managing your mailbox when out for a few days.
I've been testing and it does not work for me how you have described. If I push in the wheel and select purge deleted items, its the same as using tools - 'empty deleted items' in outlook. The next time I view my deleted items folder in outlook it has been emptied.

Is there no way to configure the handheld to purge items hard deleted from the inbox automatically? Otherwise this feature which I specifically upgraded to 4.1 for might not be much use to me!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Hi St0kes,

I actually have this problem at a client now ... I have the hard delete turned on yet when he deletes a message in outlook it doesnt delete from his BlackBerry. Quick question, how many emails have been delivered to your device since the message you want to delete? There is a setting in BES that tracks a certain # of messages in its own database. Not sure if that has any effect.

Thanks,

Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0kes
I've been testing and it does not work for me how you have described. If I push in the wheel and select purge deleted items, its the same as using tools - 'empty deleted items' in outlook. The next time I view my deleted items folder in outlook it has been emptied.

Is there no way to configure the handheld to purge items hard deleted from the inbox automatically? Otherwise this feature which I specifically upgraded to 4.1 for might not be much use to me!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
OlyBerry

Model: 7250
Default Hard Delete Reconciliation: any performance impact?

On BES 4.1 SP2 for Exchange Server, is there any risk of performance impact on the BES associated with enabling Hard Delete Reconciliation?
Closed Thread