BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
goldstar

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default 8320 UMA <--> Edge handoff works fine?

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering how well the UMA <--> Edge handoff works when you're on a call. I've read earlier reviews that says the handoff is kind of iffy, so wondering how people's experiences are with that on the 8320. Any comment / input is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
mattyx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down

I got my curve yesterday here in CA on Tmobile, and the handoff from UMA to EDGE drops 100% of my calls. The opposite (EDGE to UMA) fails to switch. I am trying to troubleshoot this now (have already swapped out the handset). If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Without this feature, I might as well get an iPhone.

Is it working for anyone else?

/m/
Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

Where in California are you? Someone posted about your exact issue with the handoff in certain parts of California that won't be fixed until sometime in October.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:56 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (9900: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I can only say one thing about this - Wifigaboobie.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
mattyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
The handoff from UMA to GSM or GSM to UMA can depend on many things. How strong is the GSM signal where you are? Is the wireless router you are connected to set up to prioritize voice packets?

Something else to verify is that you have an E911 address set up with your T-Mobile account. If you don't, then you're going to have issues with using your phone over UMA service. The E911 address is used in case you place a 911 call while using UMA since your call is being routed over the Internet.

You can set this address by signing into your MyT-Mobile.com account. Click on View My Profile at the top right corner of the website by your mobile number. Then click on 911 Address and update away.

Dave
GSM signal is 80-100% at my house, and I have set up the 911 address at the store. I'm waiting the 2 hours for the new sim to register, then I'm going to try that.

I'm in the bay area, CA.

/m/

Last edited by mattyx; 09-24-2007 at 05:49 PM..
Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
likefre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyx View Post
I got my curve yesterday here in CA on Tmobile, and the handoff from UMA to EDGE drops 100% of my calls. The opposite (EDGE to UMA) fails to switch. I am trying to troubleshoot this now (have already swapped out the handset). If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Without this feature, I might as well get an iPhone.

Is it working for anyone else?

/m/
Had the same issues.
Restored router to factory defaults.
Unpluged cable modem and router
Reconnected cable modem
After 2 minutes, reconnected router.
Tested...It worked.
Reconfigured security.
Still works perfectly
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
mattyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by likefre View Post
Had the same issues.
Restored router to factory defaults.
Unpluged cable modem and router
Reconnected cable modem
After 2 minutes, reconnected router.
Tested...It worked.
Reconfigured security.
Still works perfectly
When you say "reconfigured security" what do you mean? I am currently running WPA PSK on my network, and UMA works, it just doesnt handoff.

Thanks for the help!

/m/
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
goldstar

Carrier: Tmobile

Thanks for all the replies, looks like there are still some issues to be ironed out w/ UMA, but I'm definitely interested in getting an 8320 once an update or two comes along.

As a side note, I frequently travel to Asia for business so this service will be a big money saver.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Helmdawg

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

Luckily I haven't had any hand-off/drop call issues. As I was walking up to my house today I wanted to see the change over from Edge to Wifi/UMA and it did this seemlessly.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
mattyx

2 phones.

2 Sims.

2 Wipe clean procedures.

Still drops all calls when switching from UMA to EDGE.

Ridiculous. I've been waiting for a BB with this functionality for MONTHS, now it doesnt work. Very frustrating. I've had a BB since 2004, and am honestly thinking of leaving because of this.

/m/

Last edited by mattyx; 09-24-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Moved to the new WiFi HotZone Forum
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
consorziodenver

Model: 8320*
Carrier: Tmo

Saw this at the end of the email that went to Tmo stores about the launch:

"Please note: Customers using a Blackberry 8320 (Curve), are on a call and attempting to transition from Wi-Fi or to Wi-Fi, and are in all geographic areas in the state of California with the exceptions of the Greater Los Angeles basin, Inland Empire, and San Diego county will be unable to hand-in or hand-out to Wi-Fi networks. This results in the following scenarios for customers in California when moving between Wi-Fi and GSM:
If you're on a call on GSM, you'll stay on GSM until you end the call.
If you are on a call on GSM and move into an area with no GSM, the call will drop.
If you're on a call on Wi-Fi and you move out of range of the WI-Fi network, the call will drop.
This is expected to be fixed on October 22."
Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
mattyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by consorziodenver View Post
Saw this at the end of the email that went to Tmo stores about the launch:

"Please note: Customers using a Blackberry 8320 (Curve), are on a call and attempting to transition from Wi-Fi or to Wi-Fi, and are in all geographic areas in the state of California with the exceptions of the Greater Los Angeles basin, Inland Empire, and San Diego county will be unable to hand-in or hand-out to Wi-Fi networks. This results in the following scenarios for customers in California when moving between Wi-Fi and GSM:
If you're on a call on GSM, you'll stay on GSM until you end the call.
If you are on a call on GSM and move into an area with no GSM, the call will drop.
If you're on a call on Wi-Fi and you move out of range of the WI-Fi network, the call will drop.
This is expected to be fixed on October 22."

That explains everything, except of course why TMO couldnt tell me that on my combined 3 hours of support calls today.

Thank you very much for posting this!!

Cheers.

/m/
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
mattyx

Tmobile is still telling me that this isnt the issue, and that it should be working.

If you're in Northern CA and using the curve for UMA, is your phone handing off to GSM, or does it drop the call?

Thanks,

/m/
Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
yeager1977

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T Mobile

May I suggest 2 things:
1. Update your routers firmware - If it is an older router > 12 months old it may have trouble with this.
2. If that doesn't solve it is there a t-mobile hotspot near you? I would try the transition at a tmo hotspot and see what happens....
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
mattyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeager1977 View Post
May I suggest 2 things:
1. Update your routers firmware - If it is an older router > 12 months old it may have trouble with this.
2. If that doesn't solve it is there a t-mobile hotspot near you? I would try the transition at a tmo hotspot and see what happens....
I have tried to place calls and perform handoffs from a starbucks, and I get the same result. I am able to place and receive calls fine over my home wifi, the problem is only when I try to handoff to GSM. I dont think that could be a problem with my router's firmware, but I appreciate the suggestions!!

Thanks,

/m/
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #18
GoodLuckBear

Quote:
I have tried to place calls and perform handoffs from a starbucks, and I get the same result. I am able to place and receive calls fine over my home wifi, the problem is only when I try to handoff to GSM. I dont think that could be a problem with my router's firmware, but I appreciate the suggestions!!

Thanks,

/m/
Mattyx -
If you are in Northern California then the California hand in/out issue is what is affecting you. T-Mobile and RIM are working on a solution. Hope you'll hang in there, it's an awesome service and phone when this gets fixed for the California market!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
mattyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLuckBear View Post
Mattyx -
If you are in Northern California then the California hand in/out issue is what is affecting you. T-Mobile and RIM are working on a solution. Hope you'll hang in there, it's an awesome service and phone when this gets fixed for the California market!
I am in the Northern California (bay area) market. I just wanted to be sure that I'm not assuming this is the issue, while other Curve owners around here are up and working. Waiting this out, will just about take all of my 30 day return policy away, so I want to be sure this is the issue.

Thanks!!

/m/
Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
GoodLuckBear

Quote:
I am in the Northern California (bay area) market. I just wanted to be sure that I'm not assuming this is the issue, while other Curve owners around here are up and working. Waiting this out, will just about take all of my 30 day return policy away, so I want to be sure this is the issue.

Thanks!!

/m/
Here's hoping they fix it sooner! I'll keep my eyes open for any other CA users on other forums reporting it working. You can always do a road trip to the places in CA that are supposed to be working and report back.
Closed Thread