BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
quackberry

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Review of the 3rd iteration of the Gizmoskin 8700 case

Please Login to Remove!

First off, we know the first and second generations left a little to be desired (some would rightly say they were crap.) Well being the trusting sap that I am, I decided to hold my annoyance due to the intense need to see a fledgling company succeed*

The original Gizmoskin case was an excellent idea and a way to achieve the american dream of enterprise and profit. Create a great design, make it attractive, manufacture it in a cost effective manner. On all 3 points the Gizmoskin case delivers, and would have been an unparalleled success except for the quality of workmanship in manufacturing and some minor design flaws that would prove to be it's undoing.

Glue is not necessarily glue

Not all adhesives are suitable for the different stresses applied to a flexible object attached to a human body: shear, tear and torsion all wreak havoc on the joining areas of the case. This new adhesive used in the gizmoskin case is stonger than the material it is holding together. Where as my original case fell apart on the third day, the new version is holding up quite nicely and even applying a goodly pull to the sides of the case (the leather was almost to the ripping point,)I see no signs of the adhesive letting go.

The Clip Cover redesign

The soft and supple lambskin works great on the case body, but the clip is subject to a lot of friction and pressure xxx8211; lambskin will not hold up under these conditions xxx8211; a new material is being used to cover the steel belt clip. The steel is the same, it attaches the case quite securely to a belt, but the clip cover is more durable and should hold up to plenty of use. The stitching pattern is such that there is no loose material to get in the way when you are affixing the clip to your belt.

What's all the flap?

The magnetic coverflap seems to close more xxx8220;naturallyxxx8221; as if the leather and magnet were redesigned from the original specs (not that the original's closure was defective, this new one's just seems to work better.)

The Sleeper has gone to sleep!

The Sleeper magnet placement in the new case is much better in this iteration of the Gizmoskin case xxx8211; no light escaping from the device in all my tests:
methodology = go to bed, turn off lights, pull out blackberry to check for new posts on BlackberryForums.com, put blackberry back in case, light extinguishes immediately watch blackberry intently until consciousness is lost xxx8211; approx 30 seconds)

Overall ***** top marks for the case that should have been and now is

This is not your father's Gizmoskin, ok that's a bit too clichxxx233; but after a week of intense use, and abuse I'm of the opinion that ALL of the earlier design issues have been addressed and that this IS the case to beat. Now that the suitable manufacturing materials are found, I am sure that the whole Gizmo line of products will benefit and that Dan can get on with his job of making lots of money**. The new case, like the original is the epitome of simple elegance xxx8211; functional, and now the quality is seen throughout the product

*I have no financial ties to Gizmoskin or any other Blackberry accessory maker, I am not being paid for this review xxx8211; the only thing I've received is a replacement case for the one that kept falling apart.

** Dan is an upstanding person and fought to make sure that I was satisfied with my purchase xxx8211; even to the point of redesigning the case before sending me a replacement, and sent multiple emails expressing concern over the original cases quality assuring me that the case would be replaced. He stands behind all of the cases he has sold, and because of that and his quality product, it should merit your consideration.

Last edited by quackberry; 03-19-2006 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Adding more pics
Old 03-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, what he said.

The new Gizmoskin case for the 8700 is outstanding. Only time will tell how well it stands up to the day to day rigors, but this is one excellent case.

(With due respect to QB, I am copying his post script):

*I have no financial ties to Gizmoskin or any other Blackberry accessory maker, I am not being paid for this review xxx8211; the only thing I've received is a replacement case for the one that kept falling apart. Dan is doing a great job...
Old 03-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

I appreciate the review and close-up pics. Can we get some "full body shots"?

"Skin to win!!"
Old 03-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
DocGo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

I totally agree with the 1st post....this is a truly improved version of the case. I got it last week and have been using it exclusively.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Just wanted to add the new one I recieved was used exclusively in the past 3 weeks and I can say it was excelent. I also have the BB version and I like the Gizmo more as it not as bulky. It held very well and it got used a lot.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
firekick3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

So is the one with or without the magnetic flap on top preferred? And how does it attach to your belt?
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Old 04-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
quackberry

Over a month and no side panel blow outs, clip leather is still in place. quackberry = happy camper

This model has a magnetic flap over the top
Prev AT&T 7280
Old 05-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
lcater

Model: 8700r

I've got what I think is the 2nd iteration and after 4 months it started to split along the side seam. Today the entire belt clip pulled out of the back as it is only a cardboard strengthened. I have sent a message to Gizmo notifying them of this. It may be time to move to the oem version.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

I won't be surprised if Gizmoskin sends you a updated version of your case free of charge.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
lcater

yup, they've contacted me totday and that's the deal. Not sure how Ron can keep doing that and keep his head above the water. Hopefully v3 has a better internal structure.
tks
Old 05-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

this is one of many products that he sells and all have been great. He stands by his products unlike others that will not want to know us after we pass the return policy date. I use the Gizmo as well as the plastic holster and the BB case has been sitting on the side.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
lcater

Met up with Dan today (he's local to where I am) and he gave me a choice on the replacement. I got the chance to look at the various cases, and ended up going with the non-magentic flap type. It's very nice and as stated in other posts Dan is the man standing behind the products he sells. Got to see some of the new items he is bringing in (horizontal cases), and they look nivce as well, although I prefer vertical style.
Thanks again Dan!
L
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #13
lgreenberg

What's non-magnetic flap type?

Do you mean no flap at all or a flap with no magnet?

Sorry I'm confused.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
lcater

Sorry, no flap at all. I found with my body type (aka no skinny) that when putting my bb back into the holder, the flap would try to go inside the case. I always preferred the oem style case. The case I do have does work better with the extended battery though. Dan and I tested it with his slim battery and there is the chance the bb could slip out. So if choosing no flap models, best to have the extended battery in there.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
lgreenberg

Agreed.

I've been using the no-flap case this week with the regular battery and it does seem too loose.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
quackberry

It's already June, My BB case is holding up well. It is conforming to my body a bit (if I had 'abs of steel' this would not be a problem!)
But the seams are still intack, the sleeper magnet still engages, the magnetic flip cover works well and the belt clip remains nice and tight.

BTW the magnetic flap takes 1 finger to release it, but it holds the black berry in very snuggly - you could pull the BB out without removing the flap, but you would be actively trying, I have not had the BB fall out of the case once.
Prev AT&T 7280
Closed Thread