Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Issues installing OS under virtualization software

Please Login to Remove!

I am crossposting this here from CB.com as I know there are a lot of knowledgeable Mac users here too.

After having this problem myself I noted a number of people complaining about it. Hopefully we can share our experiences here and come up with a solution that lets us Mac users update our software while we wait for a real solution from RIM in the form of a mac version of desktop manager.

My issue: When installing a new OS (4.6.1.101) on my Rogers branded 8900 the install will fail with a 'fatal error' after the uploading RAM image step completes.

My setup:

Macbook Air 1.8/128 SSD with OS 10.5.6
VMWare Fusion 2.01 with Windows XP Pro
Desktop Manager v4.5, 4.6, 4.7.
Directly connected to USB, no hub involved.

In the past I have had no issue updating software on Blackberry 8700c, 8310 and 9000 (rogers) models under DM 4.6. The last time I did so was about 1 month ago.

I have seen others report issues updating the Bold to OS 4.6.0.217 on macs running both parallels and VMWare.

Some of the other posts that led me to make this thread:

Get 4.6.0.217! Official Findings Thread - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post
i cant seem to upgrade running parallels/windows xp on my iMac...

everything seems to be fine, i installed the .217 version after i deleted the .216 off the pc...i deleted the vendor.xml and i turned bb desktop manager on, plugged my bold in and when i went to application loader, it saw that I had .217 available so i check mark it
then i click next and it goes to update summary and says i dont need any updates at this time...wtf??

when i go to common files/rim/apploader and click the loader .exe in there itll back up everything and when it goes to the update ROM part of it after the backing up...my phone will just restart and then the loader will say ERROR....

is there a problem with the USB in parallels or something or im not understanding..?
Quote:
ok so i installed 4.6 on my parallels/mac instead of 4.7 DM and still no luck! this time i got past the update screen and go to the "Connecting to ROM" when my blackberry would restart, red LED on, then off and white screen with hour glass comes up...then the windows xp makes that sound like a USB is connected, and then the phone reboots again and same thing, after the third time the DM says there was a fatal error

WTF
Quote:
ya still having problems with parallels...idk if the xp/mac are communicating and disrupting the process of the phone, seems like the only explanation i can come up with since i just updated from .167 to .216 over a Dell the other day flawlessly....idk how to make it stop communicating tho because when i connect the BB i choose to run it in parallels only not mac, should i make parallels sit in full screen or what?

Get 4.6.0.217! Official Findings Thread - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
I don't use Parallels, I use VMware Fusion, but I am having the same problems recently... I used to do all of my device OS maintenance on my Mac, and all of a sudden I'm having a ton of difficulty. I have to run the OS installation exe several times for it to stick, somehow all the files don't make their way onto the virtual computer. Then when I attempt to upgrade or downgrade, it either fails or bricks the device. The last 3 times I've attempted to work on my BB from my Mac I've ended up having to 'fix' it on my PC at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
I don't think its a RIM issue, I think it was one of the Mac OS system updates that screwed up how virtual machines funtion. I have been using the same blackberry with the same DM version on the same virtual machine on the same Mac for months. It worked worked worked - then failed. The only change was Mac OS updates. I don't even run windows updates in the VM.

Get 4.6.0.217! Official Findings Thread - Page 4 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfunker View Post
Ok, so I have an iMac as well running Tiger and have had no problems upgrading the curve using VMware Fusion (the Parallels alternative). I do know that sometimes if the window isn't focused when the device is plugged in, it will allow Mac OS access to the device. In other words, if you have a usb device running in Parallels and minimize the windows, then unplug it and plug it back in, it assumes your using the Mac OS and let's the mac control it. Otherwise, everything you would plug in would go straight to windows and would cause problems; likewise, you would likely get all sorts of data corruption and errors if both OSes were accessing the devices at the same time.

That being said, maybe the update software is reconnecting the device -- are you doing other things on the Mac OS? or is parallels the selected window and such?

Just a thought. Let us know if you make progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by desantim View Post
.217 went on fine as an upgrade under VMware Fusion on my Mac with 10.5.6.

Memory is sitting at 50.5mb's after 4 hours and I haven't had any crashes either.

Mario
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Make sure you keep window focus on the VM and set the VM to auto-connect USB devices when it has focus... My guess is this will fix the issue, though I suppose it could be the 8900 as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
ichavis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I've gotten things to actually upgrade consistantly....seems like the biggest problem is due to the delay of booting of my Bold and the Desktop manager waiting for the device initialization ... i've learned to suspend the virtual machine till i get the java 507 warning on the bold...then i continue the VM and when the desktop manager starts again it picks up where it left off...i've upgraded 4 or 5 times now without a problem...before it was painful.

good luck, Ira
Closed Thread