Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
madmarcano

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: movistar
Default Trackball

Please Login to Remove!

I have problems with the trackball, it does not move to the right side just to the left or up and down what can I do to solve this situation?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
BBNumber1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

You should be able to get it working by pressing Firmly and moving the Track ball to the right several times.

I also clean my Trackball periodically with a Cuetip and rubbing Alcohol. To do this, I remove the battery, put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the Cuetip (just enough to make it damp) and roll the trackball by rubbing the Cuetip firmly back and forth across it.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
madmarcano

Model: 9800
Carrier: movistar

Thanks, It works!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmarcano View Post
I have problems with the trackball, it does not move to the right side just to the left or up and down what can I do to solve this situation?
A quick tip - don't carry it in your pocket. Dirt and lint is hiding in your pockets and that is what gets between the track ball and the contacts.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
sockfootball21
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: att

I just bought a new housing for my bold and it came with a new trackball. I threw it in but It kept gettin stuck. I took it out and put in the orignal one in.
Is it just a cheap trackball or should I try and rubbing alochol thing.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
dynamic121588
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T mobile

try the alcohol and if that doesnt work then switch it for the oem ball

Magma Red Zx-10r
Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Thon_D
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Default Hand Sanitizer works well too

The rubbing alcohol works, but our IT guys showed me a great trick that really helped my trackball. Put a tiny, tiny tiny, tiny (See where I'm going here?) tiny drop of hand sanitizer on your finger tip, or thumb tip if you use your thumb to move the track ball. Roll the track ball around and around until it stops feeling sticky from the hand sanitizer. Your trackball should work better.

Your mileage may vary depending on the age of and amount of crud embedded in the track ball well. I do carry my bb in my pocket, and I am well aware of the amount of lint that accumulates, but this trick worked very well for me.

The reason that this seems to work is because hand sanitizer has a huge amount of alcohol in it to help it do what it does. In fact there are documented cases of kids getting drunk and ending up with alcohol poisoning from licking the hand sanitizer off of their own hands.
snopes.com: Hand Sanitizer Alcohol Poisoning
Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
arabcamel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thon_D View Post
The rubbing alcohol works, but our IT guys showed me a great trick that really helped my trackball. Put a tiny, tiny tiny, tiny (See where I'm going here?) tiny drop of hand sanitizer on your finger tip, or thumb tip if you use your thumb to move the track ball. Roll the track ball around and around until it stops feeling sticky from the hand sanitizer. Your trackball should work better.

Your mileage may vary depending on the age of and amount of crud embedded in the track ball well. I do carry my bb in my pocket, and I am well aware of the amount of lint that accumulates, but this trick worked very well for me.

The reason that this seems to work is because hand sanitizer has a huge amount of alcohol in it to help it do what it does. In fact there are documented cases of kids getting drunk and ending up with alcohol poisoning from licking the hand sanitizer off of their own hands.
Rubbing alcohol comes in different concentrations, the one I have is 70% alcohol. As a microbiologist, 70% alcohol is more than enough to kill bacteria. As far as the trackball, I use it on my phone and it works wonders. Hand sanitizer may work, but I don't like the idea of putting a gel substance in my phone where as I know the rubbing alcohol will evaporate very quickly.

Also, keep in mind that www.snopes.com is a rumor website....
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Thon_D

Model: Curve
Default I agree about the gel

I agree that it probably isn't the best idea to put a gel into the track ball well. But if you don't have any rubbing alcohol handy, the sanitizer would be a good first option. It would be best to then clean it again with the rubbing alcohol as a follow up to really clean the track ball and the trackball well very thoroughly.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Vodka also works well (but don't ask).

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
BBNumber1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Vodka also works well (but don't ask).
Done that too, in a pinch...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
omegadan

Carrier: bmobile
Thumbs up

Thanks for this thread and all of the posts. I recently had to send my blackberry for repairs because the trackball stopped working and these are useful tips for maintaining by Bold in good condition when I get it back.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Wildfire532FB

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNumber1 View Post
You should be able to get it working by pressing Firmly and moving the Track ball to the right several times.

I also clean my Trackball periodically with a Cuetip and rubbing Alcohol. To do this, I remove the battery, put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the Cuetip (just enough to make it damp) and roll the trackball by rubbing the Cuetip firmly back and forth across it.
you clean the track ball from behind the battery?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

no, you need to remove the battery so no power is going to the device when you put (albeit small amount) of liquid on it

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Celcom

hi all!

i have a different problem with my trackball... i used to have the sticky side to side problem, and i did the alcohol thing and it worked!

but nowww... clicking is the problem. every time i click, it double clicks on whatever i'm clicking on. it kind of sucks because it takes twice as long to do things and sends empty messages when i don't want to. any idea what the problem is with a trackball that is too sensitive while clicking?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
ChrisLuce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Thin_D,

WOW, my trackball would not scroll down but would work side to side and up. I did as you instructed and it worked. I was so mad because I could not check my messages. This was a life saver!! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thon_D View Post

Closed Thread