Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
elvisgates

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Pics of the "Temporary" battery fix for Tour

Please Login to Remove!

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I saw a few questions about pictures. Here they are. As you can see, the bulge is really, almost non-existent. This is with a silicone case. Of course, ya can't use the silicone case and the nice leather holster that comes with the phone but it does give it great protection. I didnt take a picture of it but instead of having the entire back of the phone exposed (under the silicone,) I cut the battery door so only the top half of the back is exposed (the battery area.) Since doors are replaceable with these phones, if I ever want an upgrade, I'll just buy another door. Hope this answers the questions. I still have got to say, it is N-I-C-E being able to go two days without recharges with all the "stuff" I have going on with this phone. Again, this is a 2400mah Storm replacement battery that came with a Storm "bulge" door for $40. It will suffice until the Seidio battery comes out with its door that is custom made for the tour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	17159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	17160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	17161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	17162  
Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #22
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisgates View Post
Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I saw a few questions about pictures. Here they are. As you can see, the bulge is really, almost non-existent. This is with a silicone case. Of course, ya can't use the silicone case and the nice leather holster that comes with the phone but it does give it great protection. I didnt take a picture of it but instead of having the entire back of the phone exposed (under the silicone,) I cut the battery door so only the top half of the back is exposed (the battery area.) Since doors are replaceable with these phones, if I ever want an upgrade, I'll just buy another door. Hope this answers the questions. I still have got to say, it is N-I-C-E being able to go two days without recharges with all the "stuff" I have going on with this phone. Again, this is a 2400mah Storm replacement battery that came with a Storm "bulge" door for $40. It will suffice until the Seidio battery comes out with its door that is custom made for the tour.
Nice...now that's customizing....lol...what about the batterry cover....how did u cut that? Just curious not saying I would wanna do it but yah that works.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
elvisgates

The battery cover isnt very thick and my Dremel went through it cleanly. I just marked the sides of the door where the battery was, connected the dots with a line and cut away. The battery fits pretty tightly anyway but the silicone holder makes sure it isnt going anywhere. The micro sd card and the sim card are protected by the original door and the silicone. Like I said in my first post, it aint the -best- fix, but it IS a fix for "right now." And yes, I have the 2600mah from Seidio ordered.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #24
gmclella

Model: none
Carrier: Bell

Alot of people are having success just making a few on device changes.
Quote:
Switching from Global to 1XEV and changing GPS to E911 will greatly improve battery life. When I first got the tour the battery was sinking like the Titanic. I switched those two settings and battery life has been much improved. I left all other settings related to power unchanged. One benefit I have is the fact that I use a network extender at home, so I get full reception.
(Setup>)Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology>1XEV.
(Setup>)Options >advanced options > gps
Of course you'd have to switch the network back to Global if you are travelling and plan on using your phone.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

This is kind of ridiculous. I unplugged my phone at 9 AM. It's 3:30. The battery is at 65%. I have used the phone exactly once to make a 19 minute phone call. No emails sent. Emails received, yes, but that is on my BES/BIS and it's not exactly easy to measure without that.

Bluetooth off, GPS on.

No applications open. When I hit application switcher, I get Phone, Browser, Home, BBM, Gmail Enhanced Plugin, Messages

Service is good, never dropped a call in my house which is where I am now.

I can't understand how this battery life is acceptable.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
bdink1

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Seidio Online will be shipping a 2600mAh battery on 9/4. I'm considering one of these myself, provided it does not require one of those hump-back covers.

edit: looks like it will ship with a hump-back batter cover.
The 2600 battery will ad 3 to 4 mm (.17") to cover
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
fredL

Carrier: verizon

I had no problems with my battery life, even with GPS on. Never came close to running out of juice. Until I switched to 'global access' - battery went dead in 6 hours.

I also added 2 language translation apps - I was wondering if anyone here knew how to be sure an app wasn't running? This is dumb, but if it's not on the screen, then it's not running - right?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
rangers1314

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysvt View Post
Wirelessly posted

Have you tried the 1600mah battery? How does it hold up to the onslaught of your phone? Lol
Ok so the Tour is my first BB and I have to say, the battery life is beyond horrendous. Its getting to the point where I have to schedule a trip home during the day to make sure I can get this thing on the charger. That being said, ive been looking into battery upgrades and was wondering what peoples opinions are on whether or not getting this 1600mah battery would make a difference. How many more hours of life would this new battery give me? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #29
terryzx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Easy to carry an extra battery or have a charger with you in the car
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #30
anecoo.com

Model: 8100
Carrier: google
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Good suggestions above. I simply bought an extra battery and external charger
Where did you buy a external charger?

I set up a topic of " If we need external charger for our blackberry"

it seems that you are one who need external charger.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #31
evermore707

Carrier: verizon wireless

$7.50 for these 1600mAh. I have 2 and the work great. 1600 mAh For D-X1 BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY 8900 9500 9630 For 8 bucks! - Blackberry Stuff - If it is Geek- Then it is Zen

One in my 8900 and the other in my 9630.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #32
betterdays

Model: 9000
Carrier: orange
Default Battery life

I have to sympathise with ffejie. I made 8 phones calls yesterday and maybe received as many. A few emails too. From a 7am start my Bold was dead by 8pm.

I know there is much talk on here about extended batteries, but this should not be necessary unless heavy usage. Mine drains whether I'm using it much or not. I have checked all the things that might burn battery you kind people suggest.

I have had the Bold about 2 months. Yes, I have bought a spare battery but we should not have to be finding our own solutions.

The phone is hardly a "mobile" if I have to have it connected whenever near a plug or driving just so that it doesn't fail on me if I go out for a few hours!

Phew!!

PS.... I would still welcome any advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejie View Post
This is kind of ridiculous. I unplugged my phone at 9 AM. It's 3:30. The battery is at 65%. I have used the phone exactly once to make a 19 minute phone call. No emails sent. Emails received, yes, but that is on my BES/BIS and it's not exactly easy to measure without that.

Bluetooth off, GPS on.

No applications open. When I hit application switcher, I get Phone, Browser, Home, BBM, Gmail Enhanced Plugin, Messages

Service is good, never dropped a call in my house which is where I am now.

I can't understand how this battery life is acceptable.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #33
info[]box1

PIN: Ask
Carrier: The Now Network 4G data coming soon..!!!

Im reading all the posts about bad battery life with normal usage. Its strange cause I have a sprint stock battery for my Tour and it lasts like 2 days with normal usage. This tells me you guys should invest inexpensive stock battery. Something might be wrong with the batteries that you currently own. Just my thoughts, opinion etc...

Good luck
Handheld Made: Mexico 5
Device: Blackberry Niagara 9630 16GB
Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
RFHavens

Default Seidio 2600mah Battery

For anyone who is thinking of more battery life, this has been really working out well for me. Of course it is not an $8 solution but it does work well. With it installed along with the matching battery cover, it still fits and charges in the BB Charging Pod and it still fits into the clip-holster that comes with the Tour. It is not much thicker but the shape is actually more comfortable (in my hand at least). Weight-wise maybe an ounce more but that is just a guess.

One of the factors that plays into how long your battery will last before charging, also has to do with where you are in regards to network coverage. If you live and work in a 3G area and don't go into the extended network, your battery will last longer. I work in a remote area and have to use an amplifier from Wilson Electronics (there are others) at work just so I can get a reasonable data connection. At home coverage is better and varies from base 3G (EVDO) to mid 1X.

With all of that said. I tested with the following:

Screen 10% at 10 seconds
Bluetooth on
GPS on with location
WeatherBug Elite always on with updates every 15 minutes
Incoming emails from 50-100 a day (Mainly while at work)
3-10 calls a day with 15 minute average duration

Unplugged from charging pod at 5:15 am and plugged back in at 10:30 pm. Tested similar scenario for 3 days.

Resulted in 75-80% battery left when putting back on the charger each of those days.

Still to do, a run down test. Sometimes hard to do as I have to tether once in a while, which of course charges at the same time.

Hope this helps, Robert
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #35
RoDan

PIN: head

I loaded .53 yesterday, and used my Tour all day today like normal and I swear I'm getting better battery life so far. Of course, this could be because: 1) the OS is better/more efficient or 2) it reads battery charge level slightly different. Too early to tell at this point. But I am seeing better battery life so far, by this time of day i'd be around 60-70% charge and right now I'm at 80%.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #36
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDan View Post
I loaded .53 yesterday, and used my Tour all day today like normal and I swear I'm getting better battery life so far. Of course, this could be because: 1) the OS is better/more efficient or 2) it reads battery charge level slightly different. Too early to tell at this point. But I am seeing better battery life so far, by this time of day i'd be around 60-70% charge and right now I'm at 80%.
The result is even more stark for me. I'm noticing 2x - 3x improvement. I've been off charger for 16 hours now and still have 60% battery. I would say 90% of the time by now I would be dead, radio off. This is a much needed update as far as I am concerned. Don't upgrade your battery or exchange your Tour until you try .53.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #37
Naganalf

im sorry but what is .53?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #38
vetmotox

Model: TOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naganalf View Post
im sorry but what is .53?
The OS version.

It was an update that was released and pulled just as quick.

I got it and agree that it no less than doubled my battery life. I was killing my battery daily, before .53. The only change I made was updating and I am rarely below 50% when I charge for the night.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #39
mikenich

I just installed the 2600mAH battery in my new Tour and it fits the RIM holster fine. This Tour is my initial entry into BB world, so I really can't offer much of an informed opinion on its capacity compared to the stock 14mAH battery supplied by RIM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #40
RobNyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenich View Post
I just installed the 2600mAH battery in my new Tour and it fits the RIM holster fine. This Tour is my initial entry into BB world, so I really can't offer much of an informed opinion on its capacity compared to the stock 14mAH battery supplied by RIM.
You bought the 2600mAh from Seidio ?
Closed Thread