BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
mafiaconnected
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile/Cingular
Default I cant take it anymore...BYE PEARL!!

Please Login to Remove!

The pearl is nice, just not for me. I cant deal with the memory leak issue! I used to have use an 8700g and never ever had any problems with keeping and filing messages. I get around 200 emails a day, and by the time I get home, more than half of the emails have been deleted from the device. I have tried everything: deleted all language packs, unnecessary themes and ringtones, no pics, no videos, I set the timeframe to "Forever", etc. I close all of my programs the right way...and still...continously having memory issues. Like I said, my 8700g never gave me any problems at all, I used to keep every email possible on the device, and still keep themes, programs, etc.

As for the Suretype...I got used to it, learned without any issues, but it SUCKS!! In my opinion, there is nothing like a full QWERTY if you are a heavy email user. Especially for all of the little things that can take a toll, for example punctuations (i.e. colons, semi-colons, forward/backward slashes, etc.). The mis-suggestions like "gay" vs. "hat" or "get" vs. "hey" etc. Suretype is okay for quick responses, or for general responses, but can be a headache and a frustrating task when you need to send out an email with minimal revision.

Overall, the Pearl is a nice BB for the casual user, I may still keep it for my voice plan and possibly my personal email accounts, but for my work BES account, I will definately go back to the 8700 and wait for the 8800!

Last edited by mafiaconnected; 02-20-2007 at 11:12 PM..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

interesting......
Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
PsychoMaiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

8800 Ftw!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
chazm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t mobile

I agree...still like the pearl and will keep it, but I understand your problems.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
camri.mendez

Carrier: T-Mobie

def agree... i work for t-mobile... and a bunch of the problems i hear is the same one your facing.. youre not alone :P
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Rim should create a way to save emails on the media card.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
cbunting

Carrier: LancasterWireless

have thousands of emails, never had a memory problem, love the pearl!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
stealthx32
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMaiko
8800 Ftw!
You think it'll be any better? Memory leaks started in 4.2. I doubt it'll be any different for the 8800.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
absolved
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was going to ask that, if the memory leak issue is fixed with the 8800 then I'm going for that. If not, then pfffft.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
mafiaconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbunting

see, that's what I dont understand. How can some people say that they dont have any issues with memory leak, and some others do? (actually, the majority do)

I really hope RIM addressed the memory issue with the 8800! I would hope that they dont drop the ball on this model as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
justdonating
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24289029
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaconnected
see, that's what I dont understand. How can some people say that they dont have any issues with memory leak, and some others do? (actually, the majority do)

I really hope RIM addressed the memory issue with the 8800! I would hope that they dont drop the ball on this model as well.
I hope your problem goes away, but I'm here to tell ya, I get 300+ emails each day with no issues. Not a one email goes missing, although I wish they did sometimes (LOL). Not sure switching to another BB w/ the same 4.2 will help. Now if you hate suretype, changing to a full QWERTY BB will fix that. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
mafiaconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdonating
I hope your problem goes away, but I'm here to tell ya, I get 300+ emails each day with no issues. Not a one email goes missing, although I wish they did sometimes (LOL). Not sure switching to another BB w/ the same 4.2 will help. Now if you hate suretype, changing to a full QWERTY BB will fix that. Good luck.

I was originally thinking to replace the device and see if it was just my device, but after reading about how others experienced the same thing, I guess why not just go where I am happy? And that is going to be with a full QWERTY and "man" sized model The pearl is just too small for my big hands. I guess I just cant get with all of the newer smaller devices. If I could have it my way, it would be the 8700/8800 in the 72xx/75xx series body.

so we'll see, hopefully the 8800 will fit my needs when I can get my hands on one...I will have to wait it out, see people's mixed opinions and consensus, and then make my decision. Until then, I will go back to my 8700g.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbunting
same here...

not only do i have like every email going back like 2 months... i also have all my phone logs and everything else.

I also managed to keep my memory to 40 megs
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
mobrien118
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA9EC3
Wink

Quote:
... with a full QWERTY and "man" sized model

I always thought the big ones were woman sized because you need a big purse to carry something like that around. (No pun intended).

--mobrien118
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
mafiaconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrien118
I always thought the big ones were woman sized because you need a big purse to carry something like that around. (No pun intended).

--mobrien118

LOL...I dont know. All I know is my wife thought my Pearl was cute...and that did it for me! She hated my 8700g, so I am going back to big and burly!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
same here...

not only do i have like every email going back like 2 months... i also have all my phone logs and everything else.

I also managed to keep my memory to 40 megs
Ditto....same here, no issues.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile-Verizon
Default Email Messages?

"As for the Suretype...I got used to it, learned without any issues, but it SUCKS!! In my opinion, there is nothing like a full QWERTY if you are a heavy email user. Especially for all of the little things that can take a toll, for example punctuations (i.e. colons, semi-colons, forward/backward slashes, etc.). The mis-suggestions like "gay" vs. "hat" or "get" vs. "hey" etc. Suretype is okay for quick responses, or for general responses, but can be a headache and a frustrating task when you need to send out an email with minimal revision."

Are you replying to email or writing War and Peace. I have never understood why people feel they have to type out novels on there portable devices. Most e-mails I receive can be answered in 2 sentences or less. So I would suggest a nice laptop. I love the pearl so my opinion is biased, I just have had none of the problems that you mention.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #18
mafiaconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasosz
"As for the Suretype...I got used to it, learned without any issues, but it SUCKS!! In my opinion, there is nothing like a full QWERTY if you are a heavy email user. Especially for all of the little things that can take a toll, for example punctuations (i.e. colons, semi-colons, forward/backward slashes, etc.). The mis-suggestions like "gay" vs. "hat" or "get" vs. "hey" etc. Suretype is okay for quick responses, or for general responses, but can be a headache and a frustrating task when you need to send out an email with minimal revision."

Are you replying to email or writing War and Peace. I have never understood why people feel they have to type out novels on there portable devices. Most e-mails I receive can be answered in 2 sentences or less. So I would suggest a nice laptop. I love the pearl so my opinion is biased, I just have had none of the problems that you mention.

I have 2 laptops, and 2 desktops...but thats not the point. Why do people get blackberries if they dont plan to use it for reading/responding to emails?? You may not have to write too much when you reply, but occassionaly I do (most of the time it averages about a paragraph at the least). So when you need to respond to something while you dont have access to the internet on your laptop while traveling around through the day...you use a blackberry.

it boils down to preference and personal usage. It wont work for me for many reason as I mentioned.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780

Quote:
I have tried everything: deleted all language packs, unnecessary themes and ringtones, no pics, no videos, I set the timeframe to "Forever", etc. I close all of my programs the right way...and still...continously having memory issues.

Have you installed the latest OS from the Cingular site? I havent had a memory leak incident since. Also having a microSD card helps.

Angelo
Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #20
mafiaconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234
Have you installed the latest OS from the Cingular site? I havent had a memory leak incident since. Also having a microSD card helps.

Angelo
no, I havent. I read around about how the new OS didnt really seem to clear the issue. I have my mind set on going back to full QWERTY, so I was simply venting about the issues I have experienced and the unncessary hype of the pearl. I think it's almost safe to say that I will never being going back to Suretype.