Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #21
nchavez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: ATA
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

What's an Iphone? I guess it must be one of those toys that your kids play with or something of that nature...
Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I feel these are two entirely different devices and are a world apart in terms of function.

An iphone is a glorified ipod with option to make calls.

The BB's are power users and abusers

Looking forward to the 9000 !
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
An iphone is a glorified ipod with option to make calls.
How little you know.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted

I know a lot. I own one smarty.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
i honestly cant see another of business going to the iphone anytime soon... for many reasons... 1. IT has no control over the device like IT policies for the berry (as far as i know) 2. the lack of keyboard, i'm sorry but no matter what any one says the lack of keyboard slows you down. 3. the lack of push email and enterprise connectivity....

i could be wrong about the above but i have played with a few iphones and i'm sorry i'm no fan (i'm not just saying that because i have a BB) i'm normally one to have the most up to date and "best" phone, but the iphone, yuck...

now the 9000 series, i mean, DAMN! now this is a device that has it all! i think once i have the 9000 series i will have it for a long time!
1. IT has no control over the device like IT policies for the berry (as far as i know) Firmware 2.0 will offer security options just like a Blackberry with policies to disable features.

2. the lack of keyboard, i'm sorry but no matter what any one says the lack of keyboard slows you down. After you use it for awhile, you get easily acclamated, I type faster on my iPhone than my 8130.

3. the lack of push email and enterprise connectivity The current email polling set up isn't half bad and when update 2.0 comes bring exchange support it will pull email even better.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
1. IT has no control over the device like IT policies for the berry (as far as i know) Firmware 2.0 will offer security options just like a Blackberry with policies to disable features.

2. the lack of keyboard, i'm sorry but no matter what any one says the lack of keyboard slows you down. After you use it for awhile, you get easily acclamated, I type faster on my iPhone than my 8130.

3. the lack of push email and enterprise connectivity The current email polling set up isn't half bad and when update 2.0 comes bring exchange support it will pull email even better.
Enterprise for iPhone will NOT offer the same as BES. It is much more akin to BES from several years ago. The phone is still not secure. It doesnt matter how many security policies you put into place, if someone can alter your OS, you are done. (ie Microsoft anyone?)

I would love to see you type faster on your iPhone than i do on my 8120 or even my 8310 (65 and 82wpm respectively).

If you think the iPhone battery is ok now, take a look at how Activesync crushes the battery on a WinMo device now (you can watch the battery go down on a Treo running WinMo) and just imagine that on your iPhone.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #27
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Enterprise for iPhone will NOT offer the same as BES. It is much more akin to BES from several years ago. The phone is still not secure. It doesnt matter how many security policies you put into place, if someone can alter your OS, you are done. (ie Microsoft anyone?)

I would love to see you type faster on your iPhone than i do on my 8120 or even my 8310 (65 and 82wpm respectively).

If you think the iPhone battery is ok now, take a look at how Activesync crushes the battery on a WinMo device now (you can watch the battery go down on a Treo running WinMo) and just imagine that on your iPhone.
Well I am willing to bet any money when BES was first released, it was nowhere near what it is now, so why would the iPhone be any different at it's first go round, it will get better in time. As for typing speeds I said I can type on it faster than I could on MY 8130, not faster than anybody else's. I've own a WM treo, it was my first smartphone and the one that pushed me to a Blackberry, so I know what battery drain is like, my 8130 gets crappy battery life compared to my 8703e, face it multimedia is limiting battery life on the new generation of Blackberrys. They are still way better than windows mobile in terms of battery life and much better than the iPhone as I have had my iPhone batter die several times just by being on stand-by (WTF?). I love blackberry just as much as the next but it is not the "jesus phone", nor the end all be all device, like iPhone fanboys think the iPhone is.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #28
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Never said it was the be all end all device. And Apple has had 13 years of RIM developing software in order to learn from it. why make software that is 2-3 years behind the curve? (as many people complain about the actually looks of the blackberry devices).
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #29
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Never said it was the be all end all device. And Apple has had 13 years of RIM developing software in order to learn from it. why make software that is 2-3 years behind the curve? (as many people complain about the actually looks of the blackberry devices).
Apple is a computer company not a cellphone manufacturer, if they can make a device as good as RIM in thre fraction of the time RIM has in the 13 years then RIM should be even further along now then they are. It probably won't be too long before the iPhone has BB Connect, then what will be left to bash them about? The keyboard still?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #30
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Actually RIM has posted job openings for developers on Apples iPhone platform, I dont suspect it will be too long at all. At that point it comes down to security, durability, battery life, and keyboard for me. In that order.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #31
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Actually RIM has posted job openings for developers on Apples iPhone platform, I dont suspect it will be too long at all. At that point it comes down to security, durability, battery life, and keyboard for me. In that order.
Good luck with the 2nd one, durable the iPhone is NOT....lol. Even worse is that it is not insurable, so you drop it, you stuck with a $400-500 dented up device. Once Apple listens to it's customer base and makes the keyboard work in landscape mode in all applications, the keyboard issue will be minimized. I use my iPhone as my work device and my blackberry as my personal device and so far my iPhone has performed fairly well.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #32
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

well the security is also non existant. if you can get to rewriting the OS then your security is gone. keyboard im sure i could get used to it, but its still two handed, BBs are one handed mainly (for me at least) and you can type without looking. Battery life... thats a tough one on the iPhone too
Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:
Good luck with the 2nd one, durable the iPhone is NOT....lol. Even worse is that it is not insurable, so you drop it, you stuck with a $400-500 dented up device. Once Apple listens to it's customer base and makes the keyboard work in landscape mode in all applications, the keyboard issue will be minimized. I use my iPhone as my work device and my blackberry as my personal device and so far my iPhone has performed fairly well.
Just to correct what you said. The iPhone is insurable. I have a policy on mine with a company called SquareTrade. And if I drop it, smash it, close a car door on it, or otherwise, I only need to be able to produce the shattered, smashed, obliterated or otherwise device as proof and they will replace it.

Look them up if you do not believe me.

The company is called SquareTrade.

Alex Alexzander
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #34
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
well the security is also non existant. if you can get to rewriting the OS then your security is gone. keyboard im sure i could get used to it, but its still two handed, BBs are one handed mainly (for me at least) and you can type without looking. Battery life... thats a tough one on the iPhone too
I am sure Apple will get the security features built in soon, with 2.0 they are looking to invade the corporate market. Battery life is definately going to be a tough cookie for apple to crack, with the heavy multimedia it supports that will be no easy task, and no removable battery compounds the issue even more. When a phone can die from a quarter battery from being in standby over night that is a clear indication that the battery is not up to par. A issue I never have with my Blackberry.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #35
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
Well iPhone had better be one heck of a phone. I cannot imagine leaving BB for a iPhone after seeing the official release of the Bold. The "Bold", is a solid winner and will be very hard to beat for serious business users. I left the iPhone for BB because it just cannot compete with BB in the Business world at this time. Now BB has form and function in one beautiful package. Way to go RIM!!!!!!!!!! Now if I can just get into my wife's piggy bank.
I own 2 blackberry phones. Both sitting a drawer. The 8800 and the 8310. That 9000 does nothing for me. I wouldn't trade the current iPhone for the 9000, let alone the future iPhone.

The software on the iPhone is truly next gen. And this 9000 while a lovely phone, is not a step into the next gen. For that RIM needs to do much more. Secure email, Push Email, pretty much that's all the RIM has going for it.

Alex Alexzander
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #36
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
I am sure Apple will get the security features built in soon, with 2.0 they are looking to invade the corporate market. Battery life is definately going to be a tough cookie for apple to crack, with the heavy multimedia it supports that will be no easy task, and no removable battery compounds the issue even more. When a phone can die from a quarter battery from being in standby over night that is a clear indication that the battery is not up to par. A issue I never have with my Blackberry.
took 4 days for the iPhone to be hacked (i may be too generous still will that). The BlackBerry has never been hacked. Its that simple. ANY security conscious business wont use the iPhone.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #37
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
Just to correct what you said. The iPhone is insurable. I have a policy on mine with a company called SquareTrade. And if I drop it, smash it, close a car door on it, or otherwise, I only need to be able to produce the shattered, smashed, obliterated or otherwise device as proof and they will replace it.

Look them up if you do not believe me.

The company is called SquareTrade.

Alex Alexzander
I just looked it up, 3 years for $50. Wow! And is that no questions asked? I know alot of people insure their iPhone thru their home insurance or obscure 3rd party companies, it's just not insurable in the normal way that cellphones are.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #38
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
took 4 days for the iPhone to be hacked (i may be too generous still will that). The BlackBerry has never been hacked. Its that simple. ANY security conscious business wont use the iPhone.
WinMo phones are used by alot of security conscious businesses and WinMo has been hacked to death. Apple just need some time to catch up, it won't happen over night. It more than likely will never make it into the government sector that RIM has cornered, but Apple is running enterprise beta testing and I am sure 90% of the feedback is security based which Apple will address if they want to expand past the "teeny bopper" market.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #39
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Do you use a PC or a Mac at work? Can those be hacked? Do you still use them?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

The OS was hacked. If Apple wanted to secure the data, all they'd need to do is encrypt the file system. Hacking the phone wouldn't do a darn thing for the hacker trying to get at the data. Believe me, you cling to the OS being cracked as if it means something when it doesn't.

It's no less secure than so many business tools you already use.

Alex
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #40
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Actually i mainly use my BB for all my work. but i am definately in the minority. The OS was completely rewritten, yes other OS's can be hacked, but if you can rewrite the entire OS, you could do pretty much whatever you wanted. You can get data if you can get into the OS, even if it is encrypted.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 05-12-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Closed Thread