BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
MikeyLikesIt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: Nope
Carrier: Cingular (8700c?)
Question Random old e mails just show up - why?

Please Login to Remove!

I have BIS via AT&T formerly known as Cingular. Yesterday 3 e mails from 7 Sept 2006 showed up on my BB with one legitimate message that had been delivered from outlook from my inbox. This happens from time to time. Ironically one was from an IT guy and was kind of related to another recent issue discussion that I had had with a different IT guy so it took me a moment to realize that it was a year old e mail. Then I noticed that there were two more from that very date.

This happens 3-4-5 times a year and there seems to be no pattern as to how these messages are selected to be sent nor the number. It is usually just one and I think this batch of 3 is the largest.

Does anybody out there have any idea how these messages are picked up and sent by the RIM computer? BTW, they were previously read messages and had not been accessed in over a year.

MikeyMike
Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Ha, lucky you. I had TMo pushing 300-400 old emails each week, first of this past summer, for about 2-3 weeks in a row, it was driving me crazy.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Are you using Gmail? I have heard of this happening with Gmail, with no fix. What I would do is have the e-mail automatically archived, and it never happened to me.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
MikeyLikesIt
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, this is a corporate server-small company. I was the first BB owner in a company that was against BB's (slicked mine in when I had to have quad band for international travel-why shucks, this thing comes with e mail doesn't it?) and after I got one for one of my reports who also travels internationally the boss finally got one for himself (880X-verizon) and now is a super addict-hooked bad. Our IT guy tells us that we should go BES but for now we are all BIS. We use regular old Outlook on company laptops and our BB's. I do not push personal e mail (Earthlink and Hotmail) to the BB (yet).

So this has nothing to do with G Mail.

MikeyMike
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I see. I agree with your IT guy in saying that you should go with a BES option, even if you all did a hosted BES service (even though it may make your boss even more addicted ).

I am not sure what is causing that issue, though. Must be a glitch of some sort. Are you the only one that has experienced it, or have others?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
MikeyLikesIt
Thumbs Must Hurt

My company is owned by a UK corporation and I'd be afraid of the restrictions that they would put on with BES once they discovered they could. They are into control of everything. I have to get a travel authority to go to the head (see tongue in cheek). So I haven't pushed BES for that reason. My report got his BB under protest (he didn't want to be that available-he liked hiding behind being unconnected while traveling) so he probably wouldn't report anything that might help improve things overall, and the boss had some real issues with his e mails going into personal folders (on his laptop) instead of 'mail.xxx.@yyy.com' on the server such that when his e mails were transfered back to his 'real' mailbox on the server from his laptop, he got messages for days and days from years back. As he had it set up when he added his BB, his e mails were delivered to the BB (when his laptop wasn't connected) and weren't available on the server when he went back to his laptop. It was real bad and took 2-3 IT guys to sort it out before he got his stuff back on track. They had to export all his e mails from years back onto the server. He probably wouldn't notice a random e mail. As an aside, good news is that if his laptop crashes, he won't lose all his e mails now.

I have had my BB for over a year (with no initial e mail issues) and this problem has occurred randomly since I have had it. There is no real pattern to it. I did have to learn that if I moved an e mail back to my inbox from a folder or from the deleted file to expect RIM to find it and deliver it notwithstanding that it was old and/or might have been delivered before, but the problem I am asking for help with is NOT that. I checked closely.

MikeyMike
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 AM   #7

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Singtel
Default Even on a BES

Hi,
I have got some users and myself experienced this. We are on BES for Domino. Users are randomly receiving old mail from anytime a year to a few months back.
The administrator has not been able to explain why it happens.

However, we noticed that if we did a hard reset, the old mail just get removed from the device since they longer exist in the mailbox.

If anybody can explain why, it'll be 1 less headache for the BESadmin.
Closed Thread