BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #61
..-.

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Anybody else love the Torch?

Please Login to Remove!

Interesting thread. I'm brand new to BBFs.com. I joined in anticipation of switching from an iPhone 3GS to a Torch when my commitment runs out in about three months (I wouldn't scream if a Torch2 came out in the meantime .) While the perfect smart phone has yet to be created, for me it boils down to trade offs.

- Screen size: If RIM had a large screen device on AT&T two years ago, my first smart phone would have been a BB. The Torch screen, irrespective of its relative resolution, fits the bill.

- Processor speed? Processors are never fast enough. Sometimes they seem fast in the beginning but my adaptive brain sooner or later wants it faster than it is. Since I have no BB experience, the Torch will be fast enough.

- BB community: I always feel like I am among strange bedfellows with my iPhone. I think the Torch will balance my need for a business phone with fun stuff that I also want like a big screen and media play capability.

- Apps: I wrote many freeware Palm apps and have been disappointed with Apple's iPhone SDK. Objective C? There's not a lot that looks like C in it to me. I'm hopeful of an open BB environment that helps me exploit and build marketable skills, like Java app writing.

Patience.... patience ,
Frank
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #62
nelsonrl

Model: 8700c

My wife has an iphone, I have the torch. They are pretty close as far as ease of use, iphone has many more apps in my opinion, but Torch has better signal and seems sturdier
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #63
Snaker190
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mob

no me i am going to state with the 9780 ....good looking
Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonrl View Post
My wife has an iphone, I have the torch. They are pretty close as far as ease of use, iphone has many more apps in my opinion, but Torch has better signal and seems sturdier
I've been wondering about this "app" issue more and more as of late. Indeed, the Iphone has way more apps than the Blackberry (at this point) but but how many "no text while driving", "email/SMS speak", or "password" apps can you have?

Sure you can have 3,000,000,000 apps to manage your contacts for example, but all you need is one good one. More of the same is not an advantage.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #65
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I've been wondering about this "app" issue more and more as of late. Indeed, the Iphone has way more apps than the Blackberry (at this point) but but how many "no text while driving", "email/SMS speak", or "password" apps can you have?

Sure you can have 3,000,000,000 apps to manage your contacts for example, but all you need is one good one. More of the same is not an advantage.
Yes and no. A bigger store with more variety increases the odds that you will find exactly what you want and not have to settle for something that is the best you could find.

Also, we BlackBerry users could be in a situation where even the best is being developed for more popular platforms and not BlackBerry. I hope that is not the case, but sometimes it seems that way.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-01-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #66
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Yes and no. A bigger store with more variety increases the odds that you will find exactly what you want and not have to settle for something that is the best you could find.

Also, we BlackBerry users could be in a situation where even the best is being developed for more popular platforms and not BlackBerry. I hope that is not the case, but sometimes it seems that way.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
- I find that Iphone apps are overwhelmingly inundated with stuff that you simply do not need - at all - and the apps that are beneficial have the same or similar apps on the Blackberry.

- However, I totally agree that Rim's hesitance in developing more touch enabled devices has left Blackberry behind the curve when it comes to brand specific third party apps. I often see brands with ads reading ... "get our app on your Andriod or Iphone device". With the advent of OS6, the Torch, the Playbook, I'm sure that'll change in RIM's favor very quickly as the companies selling/promoting their products don't want to limit themselves from a still very HUGE market.

In the meantime, the apps that I have access to, suit my needs wonderfully.

Last edited by TonyTone; 01-01-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #67
ndwgolf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: DiGi

Quote "Keyboard is best in the biz. No other phone comes even close".

I dont think so.........iPhone4 keypad is the bollocks (ten times better).............but saying that the Torch is in my pocket and the iPhone4 is in the closet, I just love the BB
Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #68
FRIENDinDEED

i started out with a samsung propel, it was cool, then it got drenched on teh tobago trip, so when it was time for the upgrade, i was going to go all out and get the samsung captivate. . .brother (and price) had me get the BB torch, im impressed and havent looked back.

the more i learn about it (yeah the battery thing threw me for a loop too) the better outlook i have on my desicion.

no matter what it is your gonna have some manner of trouble so im all in, yes yes its a BB nation!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #69
stevielive

Model: Z10
PIN: The Toilet

I've recently upgraded, coming over from the Bold 9000, which is an excellent BlackBerry! Awesome wonder being the 9800 Torch! Thanks for all tips, shortcuts, et al.

8100 / 8310 / 9000 / 9800 / now Z10
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #70
jgenn3

Yep, just came from the Storm 2 a few days ago after using the Storm 1 then 2 for the past few years. I thought I would miss Surepress. Not at all, I have not even really used the physical keyboard for an email yet. The battery life is awesome as well. At the end of the day I'm used to a drained battery not a battery almost full. The trackpad is a fantastic edition. No lag at all in any apps. This device is what the Storm should have been.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #71
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

We now have more Torches than iThings.

Lots of happy users.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread