Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Vanishing Contacts?

Please Login to Remove!

Strange phenomenon and it's happened several times. I was searching for a particular contact, Yama Sushi, to order dinner tonight. There is no easy way to get to a particular point in Contacts so you're really forced to use the Search function. Pretty convenient really. It's unfamiliar to me but it's definitely a better and more efficient way to work. I'm coming from an iPhone so I'm used to having my Contacts with an alphabetical reference along the side of the screen so I can go right to the T's or F's or whatever by tapping the appropriate letter. On the BlackBerry I either have to scroll and scroll and scroll or use Search. With the Q10's keyboard the Search feature is superb.

So here's what happened. I searched for and found Yama Sushi. Great. But before I can call I get a text message, so I swipe up and right to reveal the Hub, answer the text, and then go back to Contacts. Yama Sushi is GONE!! I try searching again and it's definitely not there. Son of a bit*h! Where did it go?? I scroll down all the way to the Y section and confirm it is indeed gone. I figured that maybe I did something stupid and accidentally deleted it. After all, it's a new operating system and I just may not have the hang of it yet. So I re-enter the contact after looking up the phone number on the web - not a big deal with Verizon 4G LTE speed - and save. Suddenly I have TWO contacts for Yama Sushi. The old one came back!

I have contacts set to All Contacts. My contacts are all synced via iCloud. Sync works nearly instantaneously, which is nice. But having a contact vanish temporarily and then re-appear is freaky.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: Vanishing Contacts?

My contacts sometimes leave for a spell and come back. I suspect is has something to do with syncing my contacts to various cloud services.

My main problem is with duplicates. Seems when one disappears, it will reappear later but have the exact same entry listed twice. I know the contact itself deletes or becomes unavailable because any messages I have from that person will just show an unlinked email address or just their number (in the case of an SMS)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Maybe it will be sorted with OS 10.2.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
ZombieBerry

I'm on 10.2
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
I'm on 10.2
Well dang! I've resolved to do less updating on my operating system as compared to the manic approach I took with older devices. We'll see how long that lasts.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
ZombieBerry

I find I can update forever, it's a lot easier with BB10. Well, except for restoring, but whatever...LoL

Leaks are coming out pretty quickly, and officials are usually not that far behind.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
mzblues

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Strange phenomenon and it's happened several times. I was searching for a particular contact, Yama Sushi, to order dinner tonight. There is no easy way to get to a particular point in Contacts so you're really forced to use the Search function. Pretty convenient really. It's unfamiliar to me but it's definitely a better and more efficient way to work. I'm coming from an iPhone so I'm used to having my Contacts with an alphabetical reference along the side of the screen so I can go right to the T's or F's or whatever by tapping the appropriate letter. On the BlackBerry I either have to scroll and scroll and scroll or use Search. With the Q10's keyboard the Search feature is superb.

So here's what happened. I searched for and found Yama Sushi. Great. But before I can call I get a text message, so I swipe up and right to reveal the Hub, answer the text, and then go back to Contacts. Yama Sushi is GONE!! I try searching again and it's definitely not there. Son of a bit*h! Where did it go?? I scroll down all the way to the Y section and confirm it is indeed gone. I figured that maybe I did something stupid and accidentally deleted it. After all, it's a new operating system and I just may not have the hang of it yet. So I re-enter the contact after looking up the phone number on the web - not a big deal with Verizon 4G LTE speed - and save. Suddenly I have TWO contacts for Yama Sushi. The old one came back!

I have contacts set to All Contacts. My contacts are all synced via iCloud. Sync works nearly instantaneously, which is nice. But having a contact vanish temporarily and then re-appear is freaky.
I am not on Cloud and am having the same problems.

In addition when I try to add an additional email address and change from business to personal it changes back to the way it was before I made all the changes and some of the new entries disappear. Then later one of those entries comes back. Hope 10.1 on Verizon addresses this.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

The other thing I'm struggling with is this random automatic linking of contacts. I've seen some funky stuff happen and I can think of no logical reason for it. I have a BBM contact for "Scott Todd" that was linked to a regular contact for "Wendy Perrault." She doesn't even have a BlackBerry and her contact was only her name and an email address. The BBM contact that was linked is only a name and BB Pin. The mind boggles. I understand the growing pains of a fledgling operating system like BB10 but some of the foibles are truly puzzling. And all this happened with no cloud sync enabled for contacts. I even turned off all social networking contacts.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
mzblues

Model: Z10

I also had an email showing up in the wrong person's contact information that I could not delete and finally figured out that somehow, they got "Linked" together. Once unlinked, I was able to get rid of it.

I need to learn more about this feature "Links" since I don't fully understand how to use it. But it was driving me nuts why I couldn't delete it until I made that change.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
DaveBennett

Model: Q10 9
Carrier: ATT VZW

I am learning to really like my Q10. There are some strange things that can happen with the contact list, however, that can be a problem.

Yesterday I was showing my wife some of the features of the Q10. Scrolling down the contacts we came across a long-ago former girlfriend's entry. She was not on my old Android nor was she on any of my other BB's over the last several years. I had deleted her from my contacts at least 7 years ago. What??? How did she get there???? It took some explaining before my wife saw that I had not been communicating with "old Brenda"...

My best guess is that my very old and unused Google Mail contact list got merged with my current personal one and my work Outlook contacts. There are as many as three entries for one person. Evidently Blackberry Link does its job of merging and syncing too well! I think that I will delete the device contact list and then make sure only my main email and work Outlook lists are sync'ed.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Following BlackBerry's advice, I restored my Q10 to factory settings and then re-entered my iCloud account for both mail and contacts. I have elected to leave LinkedIn and Facebook contacts off for now. After 24 hours I can report no issues with vanishing contacts or phantom linking of unrelated contacts. In another day or two I will enable LinkedIn contacts and see how that goes.

One thing I studiously avoided was enabling Verizon's BAPlus (Back Up Plus) free in-house cloud based backup. The moment I toughed that piece of crap all hell broke loose with my contacts.
Closed Thread