Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
woodsj25

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default No contacts in phone synced with BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone, I have a weird issue, and I am by no means an expert with BES or Blackberry. I am just a lowly IT Administrator trying to figure this out.

I have a client with a BES Server, version 5, and he has a Blackberry Tour 9630. His BB stays connected to the BES server, and he receives emails and calendar events no problem, however, NO contacts show up at all. If you go into his phone, under contacts, there is nothing.

I don't know enough about BES to troubleshoot from the console, but I am wondering about a few things....

Where in BES I can troubleshoot....
Could he have turned off Contacts on his phone? I don't even know if that is possible, but if it is, where in his phone can I search and verify that info?

If anyone has any insight on this, that would be great. We use Outlook 2007 w/ Exchange 2007, and I can see hundreds of contacts in his Outlook, I just need them to go into the phone.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
CCK01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: No contacts in phone synced with BES

Usually, it might take up to 4 to 8 hours to sync up the address book. In addition, did you select what type of address book that you want user to use at the BES...!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
woodsj25

Thanks for your quick reply. His address book worked for months, and then all of a sudden it disappeared... also, I have no idea how to check what TYPE of address book to send. Can you tell me where to find that in BES?

Also, I MIGHT have an idea of what it is... this user really has no idea how to use their phone at all... I had heard that you can turn on a custom filter for your contacts on your phone, and if you haven't put any contacts in with that filter, it will show up as none. I am wondering if he has a custom filter on for some reason...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

Yes, filters can cause this problem. Go into the contact list, hit the blackberry (menu) button and select filters. If any are checked that could be the issue. This happened to me last week. Did all kinds of troubleshooting, resent service books etc, then it turned out the user had a filter enabled. You also want to be sure in the contact list under options/desktop ( if that's the mail account) that wireless reconciliation is turned on.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
woodsj25

Thanks so much for your advice... I was right... he had a filter turned on! I have been troubleshooting this for a LONG time, I can't believe it was something as simple as that. Thanks!
Closed Thread