Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
rkhan2000

Model: 8800
Carrier: Etisalat
Default Multiple Addressbooks

Please Login to Remove!

Hello:

I am new to BB and BES. We are running BES 4.1 with Novell Groupwise 7.

I would like to know if there is a way to segregate the Personal Address (which contains primarily phone numbers - mobile, work and home) from the corporate Address book with contains E-mail addresses? From the BB Manager I can assign only one addressbook to get synched with the PDA but if I choose that to be the corporate one then where does the user put his personal phone numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhan2000
Hello:

I am new to BB and BES. We are running BES 4.1 with Novell Groupwise 7.

I would like to know if there is a way to segregate the Personal Address (which contains primarily phone numbers - mobile, work and home) from the corporate Address book with contains E-mail addresses? From the BB Manager I can assign only one addressbook to get synched with the PDA but if I choose that to be the corporate one then where does the user put his personal phone numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Not if you want it to sync wirelessly. The best you can do (at least with Exchange/Outlook) is to assign Categories to contacts. You can then filter what's displayed in the Address Book by one category.

One non-instinctive side effect of filtering the address book is only the addresses that appear when you have a filter applied to the Address Book are available to address an email. That is, if you've filtered your Address Book to show only contacts in the "Personal" category, those are the only people that will show up when you address an email.

If you're willing to give up wirelessly syncing the Address Book, you can sync with as many "Contacts" (Outlook term) folders as you want, but any new entries you add from your BlackBerry will go in the Default Contacts folder (as defined with Desktop Manager). Not sure if this equates to GroupWise.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
rkhan2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
Not if you want it to sync wirelessly. The best you can do (at least with Exchange/Outlook) is to assign Categories to contacts. You can then filter what's displayed in the Address Book by one category.

One non-instinctive side effect of filtering the address book is only the addresses that appear when you have a filter applied to the Address Book are available to address an email. That is, if you've filtered your Address Book to show only contacts in the "Personal" category, those are the only people that will show up when you address an email.

If you're willing to give up wirelessly syncing the Address Book, you can sync with as many "Contacts" (Outlook term) folders as you want, but any new entries you add from your BlackBerry will go in the Default Contacts folder (as defined with Desktop Manager). Not sure if this equates to GroupWise.
Thanks for your reply.

I will need to wirelessly sync the Corporate Address Book because that is needed to send e-mail. Almost all existing users (who will now get BB phones) have other mobile phones and will need a way to import their personal numbers in to their devices. It is difficult for me to go around importing each one at a time (there are quite a few).

Plus with wireless sync, their addressbook will have thousands of names

There has to be a better way to handle this? How do people with mobile phones switch over to BB when they have to choose between their personal phone numbers and corporate e-mail addresses?

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhan2000
Thanks for your reply.

I will need to wirelessly sync the Corporate Address Book because that is needed to send e-mail. Almost all existing users (who will now get BB phones) have other mobile phones and will need a way to import their personal numbers in to their devices. It is difficult for me to go around importing each one at a time (there are quite a few).

Plus with wireless sync, their addressbook will have thousands of names

There has to be a better way to handle this? How do people with mobile phones switch over to BB when they have to choose between their personal phone numbers and corporate e-mail addresses?

Thanks again.
You do NOT need to load the Corporate Address Book! Users will already have people they need in their Contacts, and if they don't, they can perform a Lookup from the BlackBerry and add the person to their Address Book if needed.

Users with phones that have a SIM and their numbers on it can copy SIM address book numbers into the BlackBerry Address Book.

If they don't have a SIM, they should find a utility that will import the numbers into their Groupwise address book which will automatically sync to their BlackBerry!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
rkhan2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
You do NOT need to load the Corporate Address Book! Users will already have people they need in their Contacts, and if they don't, they can perform a Lookup from the BlackBerry and add the person to their Address Book if needed.

Users with phones that have a SIM and their numbers on it can copy SIM address book numbers into the BlackBerry Address Book.

If they don't have a SIM, they should find a utility that will import the numbers into their Groupwise address book which will automatically sync to their BlackBerry!
Great - I didn't know the Lookup feature....duh! I also noticed that the ones I lookup from the corporate addressbook automatically get stored on the device somewhere because the next time I can see them in [] brackets. Are these getting stored on my local addressbook?

Thanks again - your message was incredibly useful.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

The [] brackets indicate lookup results. You can delete the result set when you are done, or you can drill into the result set and click on an entry and add it to your BlackBerry Address Book - which will then sync to your desktop address book.
Closed Thread