BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
rkhan2000

Model: 8800
Carrier: Etisalat
Default GroupWise and Anti-Spam Issues...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

We are running BES 4.1.0.40 on Windows 2003 SP1 with Groupwise 7. We currently have about 40 devices registered with the server and things have been working fairly well.

Until recently, I haven't really performed too many OTA activations because I found them a bit unreliable. For our 8700's the USB wired activation directly from the server worked really well. We have now purchased quite a few 8800's and 8300's and those are not recognized on my BES server - I believe this has something to do with a driver mismatch and would require a BES upgrade

Coming to OTA activations, I had mixed success with this. Our anti-spam gateway is often the culprit. It does reverse lookups on the domain-names from where the activation e-mail arrives (xxx.xxx.eu.blackberry.net) and fails. The forward lookup is successful but the reverse lookup returns a different host/domain address.

1. Is there a way I can get a list of DNS entries which I can throw in to my antispam exception list which will allow all possible combinations to go through?

2. I also have an unrelated BES/GW question. After a server restart, how long does it take before the e-mails start appearing on the devices? I am petrified to restart the box because often I am waiting hours before the e-mails starting coming through. Is there a default time which can be changed or can I do anything to speed this up?

Thanks a million.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhan2000 View Post
Hello,

We are running BES 4.1.0.40 on Windows 2003 SP1 with Groupwise 7. We currently have about 40 devices registered with the server and things have been working fairly well.

Until recently, I haven't really performed too many OTA activations because I found them a bit unreliable. For our 8700's the USB wired activation directly from the server worked really well. We have now purchased quite a few 8800's and 8300's and those are not recognized on my BES server - I believe this has something to do with a driver mismatch and would require a BES upgrade

If you're running 4.1.0.40 is there a reason why you wouldn't upgrade to 4.1.4 (I assume) for GW? - upgrading from 4.1.0 to 4.1.4 is pretty straightforward and as well as cracking this issue would no doubt solve some bug fixes and other bits 'n' pieces - live improved PDF handling, right clichability on the BES manager and more...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
rkhan2000

Model: 8800
Carrier: Etisalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett View Post
If you're running 4.1.0.40 is there a reason why you wouldn't upgrade to 4.1.4 (I assume) for GW? - upgrading from 4.1.0 to 4.1.4 is pretty straightforward and as well as cracking this issue would no doubt solve some bug fixes and other bits 'n' pieces - live improved PDF handling, right clichability on the BES manager and more...
Thanks for your reply bertiebassett.

The BES upgrade is a bit risky as I do not have a test environment to do the upgrade. Also, all my BB users are top/senior management and any downtime would not be tolerated well.

Any ideas on why I need to restart the BES server several times before the mails start synching again? I have waited atleast 60 minutes after each restart

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
fr0zen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

The OTA is not reliable for us either, i just prefer wired activation more. It takes less time and 99.9% reliable!
My Feedback
Closed Thread