Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #21
360Modworkz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A8692E
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

From what I've seen, the Bold is extremely faster, I've used the BlackBerry Bold and the iPhone 3G and 3GS on my plan. I could never do as much in a set time with the iPhone(s) that I can with my Bold. I can send a message to someone in Qatar (which I did today) and he would receive it within two seconds. Check my location. The systems open and close within milliseconds, applications have no delay time what-so-ever, this is not true in my experiences with the iPhone(s). The iPhone seems to have trouble running itself, much less all the applications that it struggles to keep alive.

But, I've also always preferred a true keyboard and the general mature mentality that RIM and most BlackBerry models provide. I've found the iPhone to be a little to much of a hyped joke. But that's just me. The above paragraph is as non-biased as I can make it, this one isn't. ;)

Anything else?

Joe

Last edited by 360Modworkz; 08-17-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
evilp8ntballer7
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus View Post
I own both devices. They are both excellent!

You must ask yourself what you are buying the device for. The BB is far better for email, SMS, IM and PINning (which the iphone can't do at all.) It is also better for typing and text entry, so if you plan to enter do a lot of data and information entry on the device . . . choose the BB.

The iphone on the other hand is better for surfing and retrieving information from the web and 3rd party apps. It is better for gaming etc. If you are primarily gathering information choose the iphone.

Both devices are good phones. In a nutshell, it is easier to get info into the BB and it is easier to get info off the iphone

Do you want a phone that is communication device or a handheld computer?

In any event you will probably regret your choice

If you are on a GSM network, buy both and switch back and forth
haha finally someone that is in the same situation as me! I figure why put down another device and just get both! I got an 8900 and iphone 1st gen and I switch about every week its great being able to do that with just the sim card
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
BerryMotion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I had the BB 8830 for 2 years, then last year i got the itch to buy the iphone 3G, used it for 3 days at most, then went back to my BB, now i have an iphone sitting here collecting dust!!

The iphone is a great phone, but its not like the BB, the BB is a "Real Life" PHONE, efficient, ect...the iphone is more of a nice gadget to go online with ect...

Since then i've also bought the BB tour and love it!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #24
sir2545

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
I don't like a touch screen: I have an iTouch and using the touch keyboard just doesn't work for me. Physical keyboard is much more desirable. Also, security on the iPhone is almost non-existent: RIM's security keeps me sleeping at night.
I agree, I had an Iphone myself (switched from a Verizon 8330) and I only had it a few months and I was missing my keyboard. I text a lot and to have the physical keyboard is a must for big texters. Plus you can have multiple apps running at the same time, and the mms thing is a big deal also. I still have my Iphone, I use it as an Ipod but generally speaking, after the novelty wears off, any Berry user would prolly wanna switch back. (IMO)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
missin44
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I use Verizon which I like. If or when the iPhone is offered from Verizon I'll make the switch. This also assumes BB continues to lag behind the iPhones touch screen and intuitiveness.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #26
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

If your focus is YouTube, you can't bet much better than the iPhone. I think if comes down to entertainment vs. business-grade communications. It bears repeating that there is no "right" choice, just what works best for you.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

UMA (Only on Tmobile)
Keyboard
Email
I can unlock it and use a foreign sim when I travel
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #28
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

^^ and user replaceable battery.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

One killer reason not to buy a blackberry:
If you only have a Macintosh and have no exchange server + BES Server, you should not buy a Mac, if you want to sync more then just email:
It simply does not work for a more then trivial setup, regardless if you use the software delivered by RIM or some third party addon.

I hope, the long awaited blackberry software for Macintosh will fix this.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
One killer reason not to buy a blackberry:
If you only have a Macintosh and have no exchange server + BES Server, you should not buy a Mac, if you want to sync more then just email:
It simply does not work for a more then trivial setup, regardless if you use the software delivered by RIM or some third party addon.

I hope, the long awaited blackberry software for Macintosh will fix this.
New Macs (Intel-based) have been problematic with all BlackBerry solutions. On my PowerMac (DP G4), however, I have had no trouble syncing a Curve, Bold, and Tour through PocketMac. YMMV.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Dont know, if this is an intel vs. PowerPC problem, but:
There is no application which can sync notes,
Syncing with entourage is a pain (regardless if you use missing sync or pocket mac)
If you have more then 1500 entries in your macs addressbok, it refuses to sync. same thing happens with appointments. Sync is terrible slow.

With a BB and BIS service only email is synced OTA.
With iphone + mobile me you have mail + contact sync.

I use a mac for 99% of my work, but, my blackberry is running over a BES connected to exchange, the mac also is connected to echange. This works reliable and simple.
Still no contacts on the Mac, but this might change with the arrival of 10.6. I never would use an iPhone. There are so many small pints which make the BB more productive then an iPhone.

But if I had a Mac without my exchange server I would use an iPhone, because syncing contacts & appointmens with cable is too much hassle on the MacOS (btw, if you use a windows machine with mozilla based products, it does not look better on windows, might even be worse)
This is not the fault of OSX, but the lack of support from RIM for this platform.
However blackberry DM for the mac is only days away from release.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #32
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Apple just never had a true Exchange client, other than Watson on System 9. Entourage is just a web connected client and not a true Outlook replacement. However, I read some where that Microsoft is going to release a true Outlook client for the Mac. And RIM is releasing a true Desktop Manager for OSX. So the Mac should be okay sometime around 2010.

I've always preferred email on the PC for this reason. Outlook with Exchange and the RIM with BES is best in class in my humble opinion.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
demon jumez

Carrier: vodafone

Hi everyone, im new to the forum as I have an interest in the Blackberry.

I currently own a 16GB iphone with O2 and to be honest I think that the Iphone is a load of hype. Dont get me wrong, the broweser is great and the email is ok as well and has a nice clear screen. However, after having the phone for sometime now wish i just got an ipod touch.

I am going to be cancelling my contract with O2 ealy as the service in central london is rubbish and used to be with vodafone and had no problems.

I find it fustrating sometimes when sending text and not to bothered about taking pics on it as I have a camera for that.

So I have decided to go for a Blackberry Bold as I love the keyboard and email on the go.

Iphone = HYPE
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #34
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon jumez View Post
Hi everyone, im new to the forum as I have an interest in the Blackberry.

I currently own a 16GB iphone with O2 and to be honest I think that the Iphone is a load of hype. Dont get me wrong, the broweser is great and the email is ok as well and has a nice clear screen. However, after having the phone for sometime now wish i just got an ipod touch.

I am going to be cancelling my contract with O2 ealy as the service in central london is rubbish and used to be with vodafone and had no problems.

I find it fustrating sometimes when sending text and not to bothered about taking pics on it as I have a camera for that.

So I have decided to go for a Blackberry Bold as I love the keyboard and email on the go.

Iphone = HYPE
Arn't you then staying with the same provider which you just described as rubbish then? Does Vodophone offer a Tour? The Tour really should be looked at before you buy the Bold. It's similiar, but has higher screen resolution, a lot more memory space, and if you can get it on the carrier of your choice I would think that would be better for you.

Just a suggestion.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

If you want to get real work done, get a Blackberry with a keyboard. You also have carrier choice, meaning not having to deal with AT&T's horrible, overcrowded network and calls dropping all the time.

If you want a casual device for calls, casual texting, cute apps, web browsing, killing time, watching YouTube videos and an occasional e-mail get the iPhone.

My $0.02.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 08-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
Johntippy

Model: 9500
Carrier: 3

I used a BB Bold for over a year and loved it! Upgraded in March to the 9500 storm and even changed network and its crap! The network is great but the phone is just dire. It wont talk to outlook and it wont even allow me toi use the desktop manager....WHY? Cos RIM BB dont talk via Vista...how bloody stupid is that. Vista is now becoming old hat and its replacement is imminent but RIM BB can not yet talk to Vista so I have found to my businesses expense. So the BB is going and I got an I-phone which works just fantastic!
I-phone without fail...I just use the storm now to see and send email as the i-phone is not great at that!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #37
carlvdh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 20FD2823

I was an iPhone user since they came out back a couple years ago and I just recently made the switch to a blackberry bold 9000 and I really like it. I'm more of the business user on the go type person and trust me the blackberry delivers amazingly. The only thing that I don't like about the blackberry is how complicated syncing and all that stuff is like getting updates on blackberry is a pain in the butt along with if you want to add music. Kind of frustrates me sometimes. Other than that I love my blackberry.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #38
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlvdh View Post
I was an iPhone user since they came out back a couple years ago and I just recently made the switch to a blackberry bold 9000 and I really like it. I'm more of the business user on the go type person and trust me the blackberry delivers amazingly. The only thing that I don't like about the blackberry is how complicated syncing and all that stuff is like getting updates on blackberry is a pain in the butt along with if you want to add music. Kind of frustrates me sometimes. Other than that I love my blackberry.
The easy way to deal with music is to use the Media Sync. You can then use iTunes and just sync all music + playlists. Very simple to do. The desktop Manager is easist for us BES users. At that point, we only need it to load an app that isn't available OTA. I rarely use the DM at all.

You can get a hosted exchange account if you don't have on already. In my humble opinion, it's a whole lot better with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #39
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
The easy way to deal with music is to use the Media Sync. You can then use iTunes and just sync all music + playlists. Very simple to do. The desktop Manager is easist for us BES users. At that point, we only need it to load an app that isn't available OTA. I rarely use the DM at all.

You can get a hosted exchange account if you don't have on already. In my humble opinion, it's a whole lot better with it.
Oh heck - I just rip the music using Windows media player. Then I drag and drop it to the music directory on my SD card. Takes seconds to do, and it is organized by album.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #40
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Oh heck - I just rip the music using Windows media player. Then I drag and drop it to the music directory on my SD card. Takes seconds to do, and it is organized by album.
That does work great so long as you don't mind making playlists on the device itself. I have playlists that are automatically updated daily.
Closed Thread