BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
aenflex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Boost
Default BB 8330 Boost CDMA - Newbie Question :)

Please Login to Remove!

Today I haphazardly became a Blackberry owner. Sick of 7 years with Sprint, I finally gave up, negotiated my way out of my part of our contract, and decided to go pre-pay, blindly. The best phone I could find was this 8330, which I assume is an older model. Within a few hours I am in love regardless, knowing nothing about a BB until today.
Boost/ 8330/ CDMA
Couple (newbie) questions:
Is there a better OS I can put on, something that will run faster? I know this is Boost and using older networks, and that I can’t expect the 4G speeds I was used to. But the phone itself seems to run slow. With or without ‘special’ themes.
Is there a way to silence the key tones when dialing the phone? I’ve check the manual and I’ve silenced them for everything else but can’t figure this one thing.
Thanks and sorry for what I am sure are the redundant questions.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

4.5 is the latest OS for the 8330.
And not possible.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
aenflex

Thanks my friend At least I will stop insanely repeating the same thing over and over, expecting a different result...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Boost has released a version of 5.0 for the 8330.

However, because of the size of the OS, it will likely make the device run slower.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
aenflex

Thanks...I think I'll pass on the 5.0...my device all ready slow enough
Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
aenflex

If I am being a lazy newb please feel free to send me on my way. I know that by searching here and elsewhere that I can find these answers. I just am trying to get it all in a concentrated dose...I have a few more questions if you all don't mind answering them. I sincerely appreciate it. I'm an older member on another forum and am always getting a kick out of the poor newbs.
1) All the extraneous apps that came installed, like yahoo and aim and all those messenger apps, can I get rid of them? I've moved them all to a folder, but when I open the menu o n any of these suckers I don't get an option to delete?
2) Is this the kind of phone I could take to another network? Would it need to be unlocked 1st?
3) Any guru tips/tricks to keep this thing running as quick as possible?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

1) Those are not actual programs. They are launchers. They are pushed by your carrier. You can't delete them and even if you did, they would get pushed back to the device. They don't take up much space. Just hide them and forget about them.

2) No. You can't use in on another network. And CDMA devices cannot be unlocked.

3) Keep an eye on your File Free. Delete stuff you don't need (messages, apps, etc). Be sure all your media (pictures, ringtones, music) are on the Media Card and not in the device memory. CLOSE applications when you done with them rather than just backing out of them.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
aenflex

Tks Motorcycle Mama....Answers I needed. I've moved all the crap to a folder so clean my 'desktop' up. I then deleted the service books for the messenger apps, although I understand they will probably be pushed back.
I just read elsewhere that I can uninstall the pre loaded themes? Found instructions for using the Desktop software. Think I'm gonna try that. There were 6 or 7 themes preloaded :(
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
aenflex

Thanks again for all the help. I am back today, and slightly more literate. Though never technically inclined.
I want to speed up my device. I have/do:
I have used the App Loader to remove language packs.
I do ALT+lglg and clear the log.
I clear the browser/other caches.
I have no pics or vids currently stored on device or card (new phone).
I xxx8216;closexxx8217; rather than back out of apps/browser.

Without installing a new OS I would like to:
*Remove BB sample content/video. Under Options>Applications I do see the sample content but don't get an option to delete when I hit Menu.
*Remove pre-loaded themes. I have found instructions for doing this: Program Files>Common Files>RIM>Shared Files>Loader files>OS File>Java. I understand this, my problem is that when I open the RIM file, there is no folder for Shared, thus I cannot complete the task strand. Am I missing something? (obviously)
*Remove BB help - it does not allow me to do so from Options>Applications; again no delete option available.

? Must I install the device OS to my pc in order to get greater functionality from the App Loader? I used it last night to sucessfully remove language packs. But I was reading in forum a post that taught how to remove erroneous data/files. A Mod had put up some screen shots, and a poster mentioned that he did not see those options in his own App Loader. A Mod posted back that "Some of the functions and programs you are seeing in Jim's list only show up in Application Loader after you've installed your device's OS on your PC. You have to install the OS on your PC before you can remove those functions from your BB" SHOULD I DO THIS?

? How do you BB guru's feel about speed-up apps like BerryJoose, etc? Worth it?

Thanks again, you all have been really great. I sincerely appreesh!

Last edited by aenflex; 09-19-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Yes, you need to install the OS to find the files you need to remove.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Also, be careful removing the default themes. Often the custom themes are based on the default themes and the default theme must be on the device in order for the custom theme to work.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
aenflex

Thanks you all! I am planning on installing the OS to my pc tonight. After reading thru a lot of stuff here, I am going to pass on installing a hybrid OS or alternate broswer (for now). I want to be more comfortable with my BB before I start messing with it too much. I happen to be happy with the browser that came on the device (so far).
Motorcycle Mama (love ur screen name BTW) -
?Do you think if I leave the orig default theme on there and remove the 5-6 other RIM themes that I will be safe?
Also last question for today. I have searched a bit for this answer but perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. Anyhoo, I know my 8330 has 96 mb of interal memory ir right around there. I have three 3rd party apps only, weatherlite, flashlight and a theme I downloaded. That is literally it. So why is there only 11.9 mb of application space left? Where are the other 85 mb? File free say 12561248 bytes. Just wondering if it's ringtones and preinstalled themes or what is taking up all my device memory?
Thanks !!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

The other 85MB is the OS, the storage of contacts, email, sms, mms, and the running of applications.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
SoccerRef12
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default Maximizing Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenflex View Post
Thanks you all! I am planning on installing the OS to my pc tonight. After reading thru a lot of stuff here, I am going to pass on installing a hybrid OS or alternate broswer (for now). I want to be more comfortable with my BB before I start messing with it too much. I happen to be happy with the browser that came on the device (so far).
Motorcycle Mama (love ur screen name BTW) -
?Do you think if I leave the orig default theme on there and remove the 5-6 other RIM themes that I will be safe?
Also last question for today. I have searched a bit for this answer but perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. Anyhoo, I know my 8330 has 96 mb of interal memory ir right around there. I have three 3rd party apps only, weatherlite, flashlight and a theme I downloaded. That is literally it. So why is there only 11.9 mb of application space left? Where are the other 85 mb? File free say 12561248 bytes. Just wondering if it's ringtones and preinstalled themes or what is taking up all my device memory?
Thanks !!
There are several articles written on maximizing memory. Read How to Maximize Your BB 8330 Memory. In short, you can install ringtones to your SD card and delete them from your bb memory. Another big memory saver is deleting foreign language support. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
aenflex

Done, thanks all for the repsonses.
Closed Thread